6.5. Grendel, spitballing… which to keep?

hink001

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2019
A buddy wanted my PSA PA10 gen 2 when all this corona nonsense started so I sold it to him what I paid for it. Excellent shooter but I used it as an excuse to get into 6.5 Grendel... I want an upper that can once in a blue moon shoot out to a 500 yard range, occasional 300 yard range but mostly I shoot in an indoor 100yard range and will use it for deer and pigs out to 200 yards... I don't want to go super crazy at this time building a tack driver upper for $1k etc.

I settled on a Faxon 18" Match Gunner barrel w/ a Faxon bolt. Have a Aero enhanced upper w/ matching mlok handguard on its way, both used but should do the trick. All I need is a gas tube and a muzzle device and she's ready to build. Ammo is purchased and ready to go...

A like new 20" Aero 6.5g upper w/ matching bolt that has 80 rounds through it falls into my lap...not a mark on it. Which should I keep? Answer is both but that's not practical. Anyone have experience w/ the Aero uppers, barrels etc? I'm told they are BA and the internet is awash w/ mixed reviews. Faxon barrel is 1 lb lighter and a little easier to carry through the woods, not a deal breaker either way. I could see the Aero for what the Faxon will cost me in parts so there isn't a $$ incentive either way. Ammo I'll be shooting is Hornady ELD 123 and American Gunner. Opinions on the Faxon Match Gunner line? Thanks

Build th faxon barreled upper. Shoot them side by side. Sell the one you like less well. We can't tell you which will shoot better.

I'm partial to short barrels and recently built a 16" Grendel. I've had no problems out to 500 and was recently busting prairie dogs out to 350. A shorter/ lighter combo would be my choice.