• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5 hunting bullets for short barreled (slow) rifle?

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
I have a 6.5 creedmoor and I cut the barrel down to 19 inches to keep it short w/ a suppressor. As a result, I'm getting about 2600 fps at the muzzle and 1950 fps at 500 yards ( my self imposed max hunting range) . I'm looking for advice on hunting bullet selection ( mainly for whitetail). I've worked up a load with Berger 140 grain vldx bullets but have some concern about them expanding at the lower velocities. I also shoot steel out to 1000 but hunting is the primary objective.
So do I use what I have, step down to a 130 grain, look at Hornady eldx or eld m ( which I've heard work for hunting)? First hand hunting advice preferred but Any advice would be helpful.

1900 puts you above the minimum velocity for every bullet type I’m aware of, including the Barnes and other mono bullets. If you want a little more expansion, maybe stick to a lead core bullet. The accubond LR has a minimum of 1300fps if I recall, and a good BC in the 142 gr variant. They also make a 129gr.

Long range target too?
Sure but the 140 would be better for the hunting thing and thats what you said your priority was. Its a soft point and should still expand well at the lower velocities you are concerned with.

The 130 tipped gamekings are a nice bullet that might serve a dual role well, I cant speak to its terminal effects on game like I can the soft point though but I imagine its fine.

The eldx is a fine heavy game bullet but I see it not expanding very much at all at distance with limited velocity, at least it wasnt very expansive for me at 100 yards, itll punch trough most everything probably. The eldm might be a better choice at range from what Ive read, no first hand.

Or buy and shoot them all and see what you like best.

129 Nosler AccuBond would prolly be my choice.

I shoot the 123 Hornady SST and ELM in my 6.5 Grendal at just about that speed. (The SSTs actually group better) Maybe a little slower and they are quite lethal. Shoot steel out to 6-700 no problem. Shot a caribou cow at 240 yards last year Shredded lungs silver dollar size hole out ran 40 yards and fell over. Would have some more gas in a creed.

Attachments

• 56CE937E-6B46-4F43-94FD-FB099053F947.jpeg
    56CE937E-6B46-4F43-94FD-FB099053F947.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 71
I also have a short creedmoor. 18” krieger with tbac ultra 7. I use the Barnes lrx 127 gr with h4350 can’t think of the charge weight off hand and there exceptional. I’ve had one whitetail run out of many and he went about 30 yds all the rest fell over. 300yd perfect 10 ring on bull elk in New Mexico and he fell in his tracks. Excellent accuracy as well. I can’t recommend it more. Also have a friend shooting the factory loaded Barnes lrx 127 in 6.5 creedmoor out of a 24” barrel and he also put elk down in his tracks. I’ve been a huge Barnes fan for hunting for a long time use it in 270 and 25-06 with awesome results but like I said it’s been amazing in the 6.5.

if You want to shoot game you need to worry about a game bullet first and how it will work for target shooting second. Match bullets are not for hunting

• Haha
Reactions: 260284
if You want to shoot game you need to worry about a game bullet first and how it will work for target shooting second. Match bullets are not for hunting

match bullets work for hunting, google scenar and pat Sinclair. I’ve taken deer with Hornady A-tips and my brother has taken deer and bear with Eld-m’s just fine. It comes down to shot placement.

Reactions: 260284
So it looks like nearly everyone is recommending bullets in the 130 grain range as opposed to 140. I've always heard that for hunting, a heavier for caliber bullet is going to penetrate better. Are you saying the lighter bullet to get more velocity?

Any more first hand experience in actual hunting senerios with lower velocity 6.5?
Thanks

I agree 100% with shot placement is key. I do realize match bullets will kill obviously. Put a 40gr 22 mag in the ten ring on a whitetail and it will work also. As I wrote earlier a 127gr Barnes in the ten ring elk didn’t take a step. To the op a 127 Barnes solid copper hits harder then it’s 127gr weight but to schmi015 point accuracy is the most important part. I would stop dwelling on foot pounds down range. Hit in animal in the right spot and he’s down hit him in the wrong spot and you never see him again.

I don't worry about foot lbs for the most part, I mean an arrow from a bow isn't killing with ft lbs it kills by bleeding. You'll kill an animal by one of two ways: disrupting the central nervous system or by blood loss ie disrupting the pump house or wounding the lungs. As much as I love barnes and lead free bullets I wouldn't advocate using them past 300 yds or so or below 1900fps. The slower the velocity of a barnes, the less it opens up and more likely will pencil through. For example:
1587046270410.png

Hey I’m not arguing with you we both clearly agree shot placement is what’s important. That 500yd lrx in the vitals still looks like it’s doing the jo. I’m just trying to give the op some first hand experience and for me a elk that falls over dead on a 300yd shot with a 18” creedmoor 127gr Barnes is what he was asking for. Just my two cents for the op

Reactions: schmi015
I got 2,720 out of my 20” GAP with the Berger factory 135 classic hunters. Barrel only has 50 rounds through it so I expect it to speed up in another 100-150 rounds.
You might try that bullet.

I also just ordered some of their factory 120 scenar load. Expect to get good speed and I know the 123 scenar works on game like antelope and deer, so I suspect the 120 will also.

I agree 100% with shot placement is key. I do realize match bullets will kill obviously. Put a 40gr 22 mag in the ten ring on a whitetail and it will work also. As I wrote earlier a 127gr Barnes in the ten ring elk didn’t take a step. To the op a 127 Barnes solid copper hits harder then it’s 127gr weight but to schmi015 point accuracy is the most important part. I would stop dwelling on foot pounds down range. Hit in animal in the right spot and he’s down hit him in the wrong spot and you never see him again.
Thanks. I'm not so much "dwelling on foot pounds" as much as the bullet performance. What I've always heard is that a heavier bullet will hold together better and penetrate/ perform better. That said, if I'm worrying about bullet performance at lower speed, the 130 is a way to get more speed:)

Reactions: Simonsza1
Sure but the 140 would be better for the hunting thing and thats what you said your priority was. Its a soft point and should still expand well at the lower velocities you are concerned with.

The 130 tipped gamekings are a nice bullet that might serve a dual role well, I cant speak to its terminal effects on game like I can the soft point though but I imagine its fine.

The eldx is a fine heavy game bullet but I see it not expanding very much at all at distance with limited velocity, at least it wasnt very expansive for me at 100 yards, itll punch trough most everything probably. The eldm might be a better choice at range from what Ive read, no first hand.

Or buy and shoot them all and see what you like best.

I agree with what he said about the eld x bullet. They haven’t been very expansive for me and what finally broke the camels back was when I shot an elk at 150yds with a 300wm 180gr eldx and it never exited. I like exit holes, that’s there here nor there.

I think game Kings are some of the best bullets out there and I used to have a 20” 6.5 creed that would hit steel at 1000yds with 140gr GK. A lighter bullet will give you more velocity which will reward you on ft/lbs of energy, but there’s a line to walk and balance weight with velocity. I would try Nosler accubonds, they are an excellent high quality bullet and what I found worked for me was to stay in the 130gr range.

I used the 130 Sierra gamechanger on 6 whitetail does this year with good results. Shooting them at 2850 from a 6.5x47 Lapua. Killed 4 the year before with the 143 eldx and wasn't impressed by the internal damage.

Honestly, for low-ish velocity work on light game like whitetails, I think the 140 ELD-M (or similar) is where it's at. The 6.5 CM doesn't call for bonded or monolithic projectiles at the 2700-2800 fps most folks will see. My 22 incher pushes 140 @ around 2675 fps or so. I expect/want my projectile to shed weight and expand violently. I like the ELD-X/SST, but the ELD-M comes into its own as the velocity drops further (or if it just starts low to begin with).

The above rationale is the same reason I have a preference for 178 ELD-X and 208 ELD-M in my .30-06 - granted the -06 has a LOT more horsepower to work with than the CM.