• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5 prc vs. 28 nosler

Lots of questions before a answer could be given. What’s long range in your mind? Do you reload? Under 600 yards on elk size critters I’d pick the PRC. If you don’t reload PRC... everything passed 600 and if you reload the 28nosler between the two cartridges you listed.

I have both and as a strictly hunting rifle the 28 ballistics win. I only shot the gun 30-40 times a year to verify drops and then practice long range with 6cm and 6.5 PRC.

Reactions: Mykeys
i don"t reload myself but my dad has been reloading for years and i was going to rely/learn more from him. We take trips out west for muleys and pronghorn but also go after the occasional elk. Just looking for a flat shooting cartridge that can really reach out there and pack a punch.

The nosler hammers for a longggg way. Hunting in Colorado at 8-9kft my 28 has 2100fps and 2000ft/lbs at 1000yards. The PRC has 1950fps and 1200ft/lbs at 1000yds.

If you don’t reload I would honestly go with a 300win mag and buy the Berger 215 factory ammo. I’ve heard and seen great things with that ammo. The Berger 215 will pack a punch on anything you want to shoot. The 28 is a such a fun rifle but can be finicky and problematic if you don’t pay close attention.

The PRC is an awesome round for mulies and pronghorn but passed 500 yards I wouldn’t shoot at an elk with a 143eldx. But that’s just me, I know guys who have and done well.

Reactions: Wyzrd
Good advice on limiting the 6.5 to 500 yards, I've killed elk further with mine but won't ever do it again..
I'd go with a 300 PRC you'll have heavier bullets that are better suited to kill elk way out there.
Whatever you choose to go with make sure you're shooting a good bonded bullet.
I found out the hard way that ultra high BC is not even close to the most important thing when selecting an elk bullet.
Not to start a bullet debate but I've seen total failures on elk shoulders with 215, and 300 grain Berger's, as well as the 143 ELDX and 225 ELDM.

Good advice on limiting the 6.5 to 500 yards, I've killed elk further with mine but won't ever do it again..
I'd go with a 300 PRC you'll have heavier bullets that are better suited to kill elk way out there.
Whatever you choose to go with make sure you're shooting a good bonded bullet.
I found out the hard way that ultra high BC is not even close to the most important thing when selecting an elk bullet.
Not to start a bullet debate but I've seen total failures on elk shoulders with 215, and 300 grain Berger's, as well as the 143 ELDX and 225 ELDM.

You don't even have to go up to elk to see the bullet failures. I've seen it on whitetails. I much prefer bonded bullets. I just killed a whitetail on Christmas eve morning and had the bullet completely pencil though. Shot placement was good though and the buck expired almost immediately. Only made it 30 yards from where he stood.

OP, I think it is important for you to consider the ranges you intend on hunting and make a conclusion on what you'll go with based on energy you'll want for determined distances. Either way, both should be great cartridges, and as stated above by others, maybe consider 300 PRC as well.

Good luck!

Reactions: Pre-64
building a light weight 6.5prc hunting rifle...primarily hunting in Cali...so plenty of rifle, but will take out of state for other hunts. I will keep range in mind...

building a light weight 6.5prc hunting rifle...primarily hunting in Cali...so plenty of rifle, but will take out of state for other hunts. I will keep range in mind...

I live in Cali too. I haven’t reloaded for my 6.5 yet but when I do I’m going to look at the 100gr ttsx and push it as fast as I can for accuracy. I love the ttsx’s and can’t wait to see what they do on pigs this winter and spring.

Another Cali shooter/hunter here, I roll a 6.5CM in state.

Sub 500yds easy peasy.

Been thinking along the same lines for 6.5PRC for lopes and muleys for out of state.

Elk get the 3-hundo and big pills.

Not to say a 6.5 isnt viable just not personal preference.

Reactions: Gobears16