6.5 Swede out to a mile?

cjs88

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    I have seen posts of people saying they have taken their 6.5CM out to a mile. I am building a 300PRC for hunting/ELR. I am not even done with this first bolt action build am already planning my 2nd. Is shooting 6.5 Swede out to a mile obtainable? Or should I go with the 6.5PRC or 6.5CM for a cheaper/more pleasant ELR alternative?

Reactions: secm
    Just found a video of someone shooting LRSU Milk jug challenge with 6.5 Swede. I wouldn't be loading hot like him to get 3120fps out of it in a 31.5" barrel. Would just be going 24-26" to get typical max performance and factory loads until I get a reloading station going.

If you can get to a mile with a 6.5 CM, then a swede with modern action can also make it. More powder capacity behind the same bullet.

obviously making an assumption of the same shooter, similar quality rifle and glass, same hand loading quality and attention to detail.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
    6.5x55 awesome case. I have 1 and ive shot it out to 1 mile back drop was dirt and rocks so no problem spotting. It will get the job done but i mainly use my 300 for 1 mile and 6.5x55 for 1200 and in. I use 147 eldm h1000 26in barrel 2810 velocity

6.5x55 awesome case. I have 1 and ive shot it out to 1 mile back drop was dirt and rocks so no problem spotting. It will get the job done but i mainly use my 300 for 1 mile and 6.5x55 for 1200 and in. I use 147 eldm h1000 26in barrel 2810 velocity
    That’s the same bullet and speed as my 260 and that combo does pretty decent at a mile.

I should add the swede will have cheaper lapua brass than others and better barrel life than the 6.5 prc. Not confirmed or cant say for sure but read alot where the European shooters are getting 5,000 rds with them and read alot of 3,500 plus.

I take my 6.5cm out to 2000 yards about every other weekend. For about 1 year that’s the only target we had set up, so that’s what we shot. With a heavy bullet the 6.5 does great at that distance, I have shot out to 2800 yards with the 6.5cm, the problem is the slash. We couldn’t see it, but after reviewing the videos, my first three shots were within 2-3 feet of each other, I was shocked. When the ground drys up again I plan to get some impacts on my 24 inch target at that distance. Also will be using a target cam to help see the splash.
    (Yes I know there are much better tools for that distance)

Interesting discussions. I guess it comes down to wanting a tried and true 125+year old round or go with the new kid on the block in the 6.5CM. Good thing I still have time to decide.

I do run my 6.5x55 in long action coal of 3.180 it really shines like that. In short action i would go creed prolly. But shooting to a mile you want all the help you can get long action setting bullets out and longer barrel just my opinion

Since you are an ELR beginner and you don't currently reload, CM makes way more sense simply for the cheap factory ammo. Lapua Swede match ammo is stupid expensive.

That being said, you still should manage your expectations regarding shooting a mile with a medium capacity 6.5. In my experience shooting 140 Bergers @ 2850, it's pretty much a crap shoot unless conditions are absolutely perfect. Maybe you are a much better shooter than I.

Your 300 PRC is much more suited to the task and will be much less frustrating from a consistency standpoint.

Reactions: 65x55guy
    Since you are an ELR beginner and you don't currently reload, CM makes way more sense simply for the cheap factory ammo. Lapua Swede match ammo is stupid expensive.

That being said, you still should manage your expectations regarding shooting a mile with a medium capacity 6.5. In my experience shooting 140 Bergers @ 2850, it's pretty much a crap shoot unless conditions are absolutely perfect. Maybe you are a much better shooter than I.

Your 300 PRC is much more suited to the task and will be much less frustrating from a consistency standpoint.

I would consider 6.5 Creed. I would buy some of theBerger loaded ammo with Lapua brass. You’ll get great ammo, solid Reloadable brass, and canfocus on shooting. I regret hopping into reloading so early-I should have spent more time shooting right out of the gate.

I have seen posts of people saying they have taken their 6.5CM out to a mile. I am building a 300PRC for hunting/ELR. I am not even done with this first bolt action build am already planning my 2nd. Is shooting 6.5 Swede out to a mile obtainable? Or should I go with the 6.5PRC or 6.5CM for a cheaper/more pleasant ELR alternative
    ?
    No doubt about ! But, if it were me, I would go with the 6.5 PRC. Just more for about the same buck. I have all three. Not a bit sorry.

Interesting. I was under the impression it was a short action.
    In reality, it is a medium length action. A short action is built with a case length if 50 to 51 mm in mind. The 55mm case length, coupled with the long bullets makes it unsuitable for the short action. That is one of the reasons for the CM over the .260. To get the 140+ bullets to fit into the short action, they have to be seated deeply into the .260 case.

I have both 6.5 CM & 6.5 PRC. Both with same BigHorn actions and same 26" Bartlein left gain twist barrels. The 6.5 PRC is scary accurate and shoots rings around the 6.5 CM. Both shooting 140gn ELD-M. Have had them out to 1345yds. First shot hit with the PRC...love it.

Don't know on barrel life as this is a new chambering for me. I'm expecting 3k ? I built mine to shoot the heavies.
    The Sierra 150s are shooting very accurately @ 2940. I'm not a speed freak so I picked the first node I came up to. The Brass is legendary, the case lends itself to being improved by taking a ton of taper out and changing the shoulder. Talk to Kelbly's as it's one of there offerings, dies, etc
    But, unfortunately a long action to let the heavies work there magic.

Don't know on barrel life as this is a new chambering for me. I'm expecting 3k ? I built mine to shoot the heavies.
    The Sierra 150s are shooting very accurately @ 2940. I'm not a speed freak so I picked the first node I came up to. The Brass is legendary, the case lends itself to being improved by taking a ton of taper out and changing the shoulder. Talk to Kelbly's as it's one of there offerings, dies, etc
    But, unfortunately a long action to let the heavies work there magic.
    I ran my 6 5 by 55 in a long action already anyways