• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5X47 lapua and millitary?

Re: 6.5X47 lapua and millitary?

the military channel had one of those top ten sniper rifles shows and said the USMC had switched from the 308 to the 6.5x47.but then again they said the rifle was a m40 a3 and the stock was clearly mc bros a1-3. i would go with 6.5x47 any ways i no i am.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scott s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the military channel had one of those top ten sniper rifles</div></div>

The segment about the M40 starts at 4:04:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-D_5H0QWIg
They talk about the Marine Corps and M40A3 but the rifle featured in the segment is actually a Tactical Rifles "M40".
http://www.tacticalrifles.net/tactical_m40.asp

Yeah I saw the episode where they showed that rifle and noticed it wasn't the real M40. The reason I asked if the military was going to it, because would that mean it would become a round that would start showing up on the shelves?

That episode was so f'd up from the start. I heard so many inaccuracies in that show. If the Corps was moving to the 6.5 it would be big news.

Don't get me wrong I love the 6.5 but the show was way off on many topics. Who the hell was their technical advisor anyway?

I'm with "chiller", I may be wrong, but if the USMC was going to a new caliber-every magazine in the country would have a cover story and two years worth of "follow up" stories. Not to mention all the old guys that would be posting how the world's end is near, as the only possible round for a sniper rifle that is any good is the 7.62! Now that the Army is going to 300 Win Mag (New M24's) you have one more possible-cal! Good luck to you on your new build-regardless of the caliber, everybody loves getting a new rifle-hope yours is a winner.

Just asking, but why is the military influencing your decision on which caliber to choose? Shoot what makes you happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just asking, but why is the military influencing your decision on which caliber to choose? Shoot what makes you happy.</div></div>

Man I want to scream that so many times!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My thought is that if the military(marines) goes to 6.5 then it might get picked up by an big ammunition manufacturer and become more available. </div></div>

Do you mean someone other than that little ammo company that makes the 6.5x47 LAPUA now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do you mean someone other than that little ammo company that makes the 6.5x47 LAPUA now? </div></div>
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5BR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe the 6.5x51 would be a more likely candidate....keeping it US sourced....just saying...would not rule out Hornady pushing the Creed.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010...p-championship/

Seems someone would take notice..... </div></div>
What is a 6.5 x 51? I know the Japs had a round designated as the 6.5x51 or6.5x50 depending on who you talked to, is this a typo? Or, is there a new "super round" also designated as the 6.5 x 51?

I'm assuming he means a 7.62x51 aka .308 win necked down to the 6.5 but also called the .260rem so not surre if the military would rename or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm assuming he means a 7.62x51 aka .308 win necked down to the 6.5 but also called the .260rem so not surre if the military would rename or not. </div></div>
I'm sure you are right. The 260rem (formerly known as 6.5/08) great round, but doesn't need to share a name with a round that has been around a long time. My guess is IF the DoD excepted this round (I don't see ever happening-as a standard round)it would be named something along the lines of: 6.5NATO. I can't imagine the USMC annoucing the switch from the 7.62 to the 6.5 for the M40! Thousands of old Marines would commit suicide! They have been told and have retold thousands of times that the 308 is the finest......ever and no other round could ever do as well etc.... I still think a year or two after the Army fields the new M24's (300 win mag), there will be a sudden shift in the Corp.-maybe not to the 300 (although that would be where I placed my money)but to a round that kept them from having their butts handed to them by the Army shooting the 300's out and past 1000. I know some may attack this post, okay, but time will tell. As good as the 308 is-and it is very good-it is just not going to cut it at 1000 day in and day out going up againt a 300 win mag.

I did mean 260 Rem, though the military seems to like metric names......no doubt the 300 tops the 308 at LR and nothing against the 08 but I never found the need, instead shooting it's smaller bored siblings.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm assuming he means a 7.62x51 aka .308 win necked down to the 6.5 but also called the .260rem so not surre if the military would rename or not. </div></div>
I'm sure you are right. The 260rem (formerly known as 6.5/08) great round, but doesn't need to share a name with a round that has been around a long time. My guess is IF the DoD excepted this round (I don't see ever happening-as a standard round)it would be named something along the lines of: 6.5NATO. I can't imagine the USMC annoucing the switch from the 7.62 to the 6.5 for the M40! Thousands of old Marines would commit suicide! They have been told and have retold thousands of times that the 308 is the finest......ever and no other round could ever do as well etc.... I still think a year or two after the Army fields the new M24's (300 win mag), there will be a sudden shift in the Corp.-maybe not to the 300 (although that would be where I placed my money)but to a round that kept them from having their butts handed to them by the Army shooting the 300's out and past 1000. I know some may attack this post, okay, but time will tell. As good as the 308 is-and it is very good-it is just not going to cut it at 1000 day in and day out going up againt a 300 win mag. </div></div>

I agree, I could see them going with the 300 or even maybe the 338Lapua.

It’s my opinion only, but this rates right up there with the 5.56

We know its not the best most ideal combat cartridge and several changes have been made on it over the years to solve some of the short comings. Yet what are we still using? 5.56! Granted there will always be “special purpose cartridges” for certain tasks but not mass change. The military has gone on record and said they are looking for the next big leap in technology. (Referencing the AR design)

A new cartridge that may be a little better in ballistics is not going to be considered. Now should a case-less design come out that works in all environments and conditions… They may make a change then as it would/should decrease weight significantly. Until then we will continue to see improvements in powder, projectiles and/or case composition.

Waiting for my particle laser rail gun…
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do you mean someone other than that little ammo company that makes the 6.5x47 LAPUA now? </div></div>
grin.gif

</div></div>ha yeah

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fireball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5x47L uses a small rifle primer. That precludes its use by the military due to known marginal cold weather ignition when using a small rifle primer in a (semi?) big case. </div></div> that's good to know

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fireball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5x47L uses a small rifle primer. That precludes its use by the military due to known marginal cold weather ignition when using a small rifle primer in a (semi?) big case. </div></div>
Interesting observation, however; the 7.62 x 39 came "Both ways", as the parent brass for the 220 russian/6mm PPC, there was alot of talk years ago regarding the "best" primer for the 6mm PPC and the parent brass. I suspect that the case could be made either way. (Small and large primer 308 brass for example), but I'd put the odds of the DoD going with this round at 200-1. Nonetheless, your observation regarding the small primer use in "large" cases is interesting and food for thought. Good post!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just asking, but why is the military influencing your decision on which caliber to choose? Shoot what makes you happy.</div></div>

Man I want to scream that so many times!!! </div></div>

amen and amen

The military is never going away from 5.56 and 308, unless everyone is wearing tons of body armor. Even then you might need an exoskeleton to really be safe from those rounds, at which point you need something bigger then a 6.5. By that time all the wars will be fought by robots and no one will really care, about their favorite caliber, because guns just won’t be that cool anymore. Just as no one really cares other obsolete weapons. It could happen in the next 20-50 years.