• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5x47 Lapua. Long or short action?

lrkcs332

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2011
Spring Creek, NV
I checked the caliber thread here on the Hide and it says the 6.5x47 Lapua should be chambered in a short action. Some of my research into this caliber shows that some people have built it out of a long action. So, this has left me a little bit confused. Can someone who has some knowledge of this particular caliber please shed some light for me? Thanks.

Re: 6.5x47 Lapua. Long or short action?

Unless you were building a rifle as a switch barrel with a cartridge that required long action I think it would be a huge mistake.

The x47 Lapua's COAL is shorter than a .260 Rem. which is also short action cartridge. I'm guessing you would have magazine and feeding issues in a long action without some design work to accommodate it. Not worth it IMO.

Always keep resale in mind as an option when building a rifle, that being said a long action 6.5x47 Lapua and you might as well engrave your name on the side of it.

I think most who use the 6.5x47mm are paper killer that single feed so the action length isnt an issue.

Slop feed rifles shouldnt have an issue with the round coming out of the mag. I use long actions all the time and unless the round is flung out of the mag it will chamber. I do make sure the guide is well polished as a matter of course.

I have had an occasional issue with CRF as the rim has to present well when the round pops free of the feed lips.

You dont NEED a long action but if thats the action you have it will still work.

Most likely the article the OP read was from a shooter who had a spare long action for testing.

Wow! I have only been bouncing around Snipers Hide for a week now BUT I must say that their are some very bizarre comments made from time to time - mostly out of pure ignorance. A few Facts:
1) 6.5 X 47L was designed for a short action and will "never" require more length (even with 140 VLD's and a long throat).
2) 6.5 X 47L is literally flooding the tactical scene because it does so many things extremely well. Its not just a paper punching caliber.
3) Dont be fooled by the size or volume of the case. Owners are getting velocities that exceed the 260 and 260 Improved versions. All that with a better designed case - that can handle pressures far above other choices , small primer pocket & great brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtn grizzly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! I have only been bouncing around Snipers Hide for a week now BUT I must say that their are some very bizarre comments made from time to time - mostly out of pure ignorance. A few Facts:
1) 6.5 X 47L was designed for a short action and will "never" require more length (even with 140 VLD's and a long throat).
2) 6.5 X 47L is literally flooding the tactical scene because it does so many things extremely well. Its not just a paper punching caliber.
3) Dont be fooled by the size or volume of the case. Owners are getting velocities that exceed the 260 and 260 Improved versions. All that with a better designed case - that can handle pressures far above other choices , small primer pocket & great brass. </div></div>

+1

The little 6.5x47 case is like that little chihuahua who walks up to the big dog, pisses on it, turns and kicks sand on it. In my little rifle I've pushed 140's to just a skootch over 3000 fps before seeing even the slightest hint of pressure; and I've also talked to other shooters who've done the same. Do not let it's size fool you or somebody with a "paper killer" 6.5x47 will embarrass you.

I own two 6.5x47's. The first is a near 18 lb sniper/tactical rifle that does more than punch paper. I shoot in matches that require mag changes and timed COF with 5-10 rd mags out to 1k.

I was impressed so much with that little case that I had a second rifle built; an 8-1/2 lb hunting rifle built on a Pierce short action that so far is not quite as accurate as it's larger brother but is about a 1/2 MOA rifle with 140 Nosler PT's. This is a serious piece of hardware that has a future with many trips to Alaska.

Alan