• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

6.5X47L update

Ackley Improved

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2006
AUSTRALIA
Well put a few rounds down the rifle now, thought I'd share a few pict's and targets!!

The rifle is as follows..

Surgeon action
Lilja 3 groove at 26"
Jewell with top safety
Badger DBM
McMillan A5 thumbwheel in desert camo
Seekins rings
Premier 5-25
Harris 6-9 notched legs, Podloc
ACI on Badger mount
USO swivel bubble level

Loads are as follows, remember these loads are for my rifle,start lower and I am using moly.

123Scenar Moly
42grains H4350
CCI 450
2910fps

142SMK Moly
41.2grain H4350
CCI 450
2810fps

This rifle has out done my expectations by a long shot. It is accurate with just about anything I put down the barrel, but have settled on H4350 as powder choice. I know it is a little slow, but I have no pressure issues, cases will last a lifetime and the accuracy is supurb.

It was built with hunting being its primary role, but it has seen one F Class club level shoot and two state Benchrest500m Fly Shoot competitons. I shot at the becnhrest comp's from bipods with redman rear bag.. against top BR rifles and rests...

I did not win, but then again I didnt do to bad. 7th in class, 11th overall out of 37 shooters.

I find the round very predictable to shoot, very little recoil, and is very well balanced for velocity to projectile weight.

Here is a couple pictures of the rifle, and a couple of the targets. Remember this is a BR match, I was using a 25X scope, and Harris bipods...

The Fly target measures a total of 8 3/4", and you shoot for both score and group each time. First target is the warmer target, does not go towards results. For the day, I had 2.6mil elevation, and 1mil windage wound on. and I held off a little too. All up had around 60-70cm of windage. It was a windy day!!!

Of course I could have gone out, shot on a day with little wind and posted those pictures up, but these targets were shot in comp, windy conditions, and also had to single feed, which with the 123L is a bitch cause have to push round into chamber too..

IMGP0457.jpg

IMGP0455.jpg

IMGP0452.jpg

Been a little lazy, have my bisalloy plates here, just need to make up a couple of frames and I'll test it out past 1000yds..

Lastly, this is now the best, and most favourite rifle I have ever had. I can not say one bad thing about it other than when carrying out bush its a little heavy, but hey, TAB biathlon sling fixed that!!!

Cheers

Re: 6.5X47L update

Nice rifle! I think your velocities are just fine. You can get a bit more with the 123 but I think you would end up settling right back down to the low 2900's, where most people find best accuracy.