6 ARC Gas port erosion

Shield9

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2024
Baton Rouge
I have a 22” Bartlein 6mm ARC AR. It is a rifle +2 gas system. I purchased the barrel and bolt from Precision Machine in WV. I have about 400 rnds through the barrel and get mediocre accuracy. The port fell on a land and it’s giving serious erosion issues. I believe that it is so bad that I am getting bullet deformation. I post here to have some experts give their opinions, maybe I don’t have an issue, please help me decide. I chose 6ARC for a precision auto loader build due to its resemblance to my 6BRN and PPC cartridges. I will post a picture of the build and some development targets shot at 100m. And some borescope photos. I appreciate you gentlemen and your knowledge. Thanks for your time.
IMG_1290.png

Attachments

• IMG_1237.jpeg
    IMG_1237.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1286.jpeg
    IMG_1286.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1291.jpeg
    IMG_1291.jpeg
    544.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1292.jpeg
    IMG_1292.jpeg
    551 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: Jughead and 232593
Judging by the lack of copper buildup, at the gas port, I don't know if the bullets are deforming.

And those groups seem pretty danged good to me, especially given the various charge weights , powders and bullets.

I would carry on.

Short list of things that can take a .75 MOA AR-15 for 20 shots to 1-3MOA:

- Gas tube binding on upper or carrier
- Muzzle device (seriously, swap muzzle devices and you'll see distinct differences between them)
- Adjustable gas; set it as low as it will reliably function
- Barrel thermo fit or bedded to upper
- handguard/bipod pressure changes POI (usually not a huge issue prone or off a bench but you can move it vertically and horizontally easier than you think).

Also the other load development things that always affect things are still at play. Try swapping bullets and/or powders.

Gas port in a land trends to shooting worse but isn't an outright guarantee of anything one way or the other.

That port doesn't look horrendous. It does look like it has carbon and copper in it. I'd probably scrub it out a little better and then patch the whole barrel with a light abrasive paste, focusing on the port area. The groups look good. What do they look like after 20 or 30 rounds? Do the groups wander when hot or fouled?

There's nothing wrong with your Gas Port, it just looks bad because it's on the dead center of a land. Keep shooting the barrel and it will eventually break in making a smooth transition.

But this is also the reason I only use 4 Groove Bartlein Blanks, it's so much easier to put the port in the center of a Groove.

It looks like it started out like a large burr from from drilling the gas port.
Like the one shown.
It Broke off leaving a ugly spot on the edge of the gas port.
It has been lapped in that area and appears someone tried to deal with it causing it break off.
Doesn't appear to be a big deal at this time.

One can drill it out larger dia with a new sharp drill and cutting oil, as I did with this barrel's gas port, cutting off the burrs first, without trying to champher them off as one edge appears.
Then lapp, so as not to break off the small burrs.
Then add an adjustable gas block, to deal with the larger diameter gas port.

Attachments

• 20210103_031623.jpg
    20210103_031623.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 18

- Muzzle device (seriously, swap muzzle devices and you'll see distinct differences between them)
- handguard/bipod pressure changes POI (usually not a huge issue prone or off a bench but you can move it vertically and horizontally easier than you think).

Also the other load development things that always affect things are still at play. Try swapping bullets and/or powders.

Gas port in a land trends to shooting worse but isn't an outright guarantee of anything one way or the other.
Thank you
Judging by the lack of copper buildup, at the gas port, I don't know if the bullets are deforming.

And those groups seem pretty danged good to me, especially given the various charge weights , powders and bullets.

I would carry on.
Yes sir, thanks for your input.

Thanks for your advice. I have addressed most of those issues and continue to test new powder/bullet combinations. I seriously addressed the barrel nut/handguard pressure by welding a bag rider to the lower receiver. The upper is lapped and thermo fit. I appreciate your input.

That port doesn't look horrendous. It does look like it has carbon and copper in it. I'd probably scrub it out a little better and then patch the whole barrel with a light abrasive paste, focusing on the port area. The groups look good. What do they look like after 20 or 30 rounds? Do the groups wander when hot or fouled?
Sir, I shoot some pretty long strings and don’t see poi wandering. I am worried about one area in particular and will certainly some abrasive on the port. It appears the land is rolling up towards the muzzle, creating a lip. Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1296.jpeg
    IMG_1296.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 14
There's nothing wrong with your Gas Port, it just looks bad because it's on the dead center of a land. Keep shooting the barrel and it will eventually break in making a smooth transition.

But this is also the reason I only use 4 Groove Bartlein Blanks, it's so much easier to put the port in the center of a Groove.
Yes sir, I will continue shooting it. It’s a 4 groove Bartien, also. I guess the shop that finished this blank wasn’t concerned with that detail. I have the same barrel in 6.5Gren from them that is in the groove, I was expecting that for this barrel too.

Reactions: bigjake83
It looks like it started out like a large burr from from drilling the gas port.
Like the one shown.
It Broke off leaving a ugly spot on the edge of the gas port.
It has been lapped in that area and appears someone tried to deal with it causing it break off.
Doesn't appear to be a big deal at this time.

One can drill it out larger dia with a new sharp drill and cutting oil, as I did with this barrel's gas port, cutting off the burrs first, without trying to champher them off as one edge appears.
Then lapp, so as not to break off the small burrs.
Then add an adjustable gas block, to deal with the larger diameter gas port
Sir, thank you for listing the options. My concern is the land rolling up into the bore. I was hoping it would bevel itself with firing. Now I want to try to lap it out with abrasives. Possible?

Attachments

• IMG_1296.jpeg
    IMG_1296.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 8
Sir, thank you for listing the options. My concern is the land rolling up into the bore. I was hoping it would bevel itself with firing. Now I want to try to lap it out with abrasives. Possible?
What I do is use number drills to find out the size of the gas port, or gauge pin.
Say its .089 #43 drill. Then redrill with .0935 #42 this cuts the stubborn area and leaves a fine burr on can easily lapp.
It looks like this set up in mill for drilling, use dark heavy cutting oil at moderate speed slow feed and a new sharp quality HS drill. Then lapp. This works. Adjustable gas block can be added if necessary.
Also can be filled and redrilled but that should not be necessary.
The gas port location on the rifling form is a non issue, the bullet has already taken the rifling form sealing the bore. If it's half bore half lands its just as good as if it were centered in the bore groove or land. The physics doesn't care...as long as its smooth.

Attachments

• 20210805_225902.jpg
    20210805_225902.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210506_151714.jpg
    20210506_151714.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 8
What I do is use number drills to find out the size of the gas port, or gauge pin.
Say its .089 #43 drill. Then redrill with .0935 #42 this cuts the stubborn area and leaves a fine burr on can easily lapp.
It looks like this set up in mill for drilling, use dark heavy cutting oil at moderate speed slow feed and a new sharp quality HS drill. Then lapp. This works. Adjustable gas block can be added if necessary.
The gas port location on the rifling form is a non issue, the bullet has already taken the rifling form sealing the bore. If it's half bore half lands it’s just as good as if it were centered in the bore groove or land. The physics doesn't care...as long as it’s

The gas port location on the rifling form is a non issue, the bullet has already taken the rifling form sealing the bore. If it's half bore half lands its just as good as if it were centered in the bore groove or land. The physics doesn't care...as long as its smooth.
I looked at all my gas gun ports, .308,458,.300s, 5.56s, 6.5 gren. I don’t scope them regularly like I do with this 6ARC. This 6ARC is by far the ugliest. Any idea of the root cause?

take the mirror off the bore scope and take a couple pics from each side. That will show if the edge is rolled up. I don't think it is. I had a WOA barrel that had a way worse erosion in 40rds than that. It was double the size. Mine would grab a patch as you pushed it through the bore t the port. That was why I scoped it. Then it went from shooting 1/2 inch groups to 1.5
groups. They gave me my money back after I shipped the my upper for them to test and look over. All they said was it did not shoot like they like.