6 Dasher BA Recommendations

Strbrd22

Private
Minuteman
Supporter
Aug 1, 2024
Western NY
Okay, it's time for my next rifle build. I am wanting to go 6mm Dasher and have been researching the best barreled action. Bonus points for optimum twist rate and barrel length (was thinking 28" but idk). Looking for a 600+ yd rifle. Anyone with experience please drop your opinion below!

Background: Not worried about price. My rifle builds in the past have all been done by USMC PWS in Quantico but now that hobby hours have been torpedoed, that connection is dry [sad face]. Only other builder I have used in the past is GAP which was nice, just want to see if there is anything better. Thanks!

I would contact TS Customs, and get either a Lone Peak Fuzion or Impact barreled action.

28" is a good length. 1:7.5 Twist.

If you want to break away from the herd and get something slightly more exotic, the BAT Hammerhead action looks pretty tits. BAT provides the tenon print, so any gunsmith can spin up a barrel for this action. Or you could drop ship the action to the gunsmith (my preferred GS is TS Customs), and they can ship you the barreled action.

There's certainly a lot of different directions you can go. And every gunsmith will have their own preference for what they think works best, from actions to barrels to chambers.

One thing you may need to keep in mind with the Dasher is chamber specs. BR/F-class oriented gunsmiths will probably prefer a tight neck chamber, which means you would have to turn necks. If that's something you want to do, then fine, but it would be incredibly annoying if you don't anticipate adding that step to your reloading process. PRS/field oriented gunsmiths will likely have no neck turn chambers, but this is something worth asking your gunsmith about.

Your brass choice may influence chamber design as well, FYI. I think Alpha brass requires different chamber specs than Lapua - but again, that's something you need to talk to your gunsmith about.

There's certainly a lot of different directions you can go. And every gunsmith will have their own preference for what they think works best, from actions to barrels to chambers.

One thing you may need to keep in mind with the Dasher is chamber specs. BR/F-class oriented gunsmiths will probably prefer a tight neck chamber, which means you would have to turn necks. If that's something you want to do, then fine, but it would be incredibly annoying if you don't anticipate adding that step to your reloading process. PRS/field oriented gunsmiths will likely have no neck turn chambers, but this is something worth asking your gunsmith about.

Your brass choice may influence chamber design as well, FYI. I think Alpha brass requires different chamber specs than Lapua - but again, that's something you need to talk to your gunsmith about.
Awesome info. Thank you!

Reactions: kthomas
I'm in the same boat and think I'm going with Lone Peak for the action. I want to use AW mags and there seems to be a few reports that 3 lug actions have more feed problems with AW BR mags.

Speaking of TS Customs. He offers these 3 choices for chamber

Any recommendations or pros / cons for the different freebore options

IMG_0679.jpeg

Last edited:
The dasher has obviously been around for a long time and there are many different reamers out there. Most PRS shooters don't want to turn necks and they also want to shoot high BC bullets.

The ideal PRS reamer for dasher would be for a "no turn neck" so you can simply load and shoot. It should also have generous freebore to allow long 110-115 grain bullets to be seated above the case neck junction yet also allow plenty of jump. Some bullets like the 110 Atip like .050 or more jump.

The Alpha munitions reamer with .185 freebore is a great choice for PRS. It has a generous .274 neck and was designed with input from some of the top shooters. I have a barrel from Stuteville cut with this reamer and it is my preferred choice.

That being said, a ton of matches have been won with a ~.135 freebore. For long range I can't think of any benefit of a really short freebore. (like .120 or less)

If you look at the trend of new cartridges (6 creed, 6.5 creed. 6.5 prc etc...) they all have longer freebore then what we would have seen 20+ years ago.

Regarding length, I like the free velocity of the 28" and it also balances better on my rifle. But 25-28" is pretty standard and comes down to personal preference.