• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

60 year old AR10 needs a red dot

Thomzn 51

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2019
A buddy of mine has a 60 year old ar10 and wants to mount a red dot aiming device on the handle. He bought this gun with a crappy homemade picatinny rail,very poorly executed.
He wants some tips or tricks how to propperly mount a red dot. The trick is, he has a, and I can only describe it as an upside down trigger, running in his handle, to help with ammo feed jams. there's the issue I wanted to lay before you, in the hopes I
AR 10.jpg
can help my fellow shooter out.

if that is actually an old one and not a new brownells retro rifle, your buddy needs to forget about mounting a red dot on it and keep it original or sell it as it is worth quite a bit. Email [email protected] if he wants to get rid of it. That dude will help you out. Until you know what it is don't mess with it. Those original rifles are pretty damn rare. Post some pics of the markings if you can.
PS, is that thing full auto?

doing some pic comparison that definitely does not seem to be a brownells gun. We definitely need some more detailed pics but your buddy probably has a pretty sweet rifle there. If he just wants a shooter that gun will buy him 3 great modern shooters if it is an old semi auto parts kit build. If it is an original full auto one, it will pay off the mortgage.

My advice? If that's truly a no-shit 60yo rifle, then you need to acquire all the OEM shit you're missing and LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE. I wouldn't even shoot it. It's that kind of rifle (if it's the one I think it is). You do know Brownells' sells copies of this shit now, fairly cheap in fact, so if you like that and wanna fuck with it, do it to one of those, not a real one.

I see guys get stellar rifles all the time and fuck 'em up doing some teenager shit like this guy on here that scored a fucking OG SR25, the original 1990 models that were $10,000 rifles. What'd he do? Oh, he re-engraved the receiver to say "M110" and threw the "shitty cut rifle match barrel like you can't get anymore" away and replaced it with some shot out M110 barrel. He also bought the absurdly oversize and overweight can to go on it.

The best was when he was surprised he'd spent thousands on this and had probably $15,000 invested --into what became a maybe $4000 rifle and that's only if you wanted it for parts.

If it's a real historical one, send it to me, I'll buy you a new Armalite or Brownells' AR10 you can gom and fuck with all you like and not ruin it.

have your buddy machine the carry handle off and drill and tap the handguard for #6 screws so you can mount a rail there, then you can easily mount a red dot.
While you’re at it, drill and tap the bcg for a left side charging handle, and mill out a slot in the upper to accommodate it.

• Haha
Reactions: ...
A buddy of mine has a 60 year old ar10 and wants to mount a red dot aiming device on the handle. He bought this gun with a crappy homemade picatinny rail,very poorly executed.
He wants some tips or tricks how to propperly mount a red dot. The trick is, he has a, and I can only describe it as an upside down trigger, running in his handle, to help with ammo feed jams. there's the issue I wanted to lay before you, in the hopes IView attachment 7386985 can help my fellow shooter out.
OMG! You want to do WHAT to this gun?!?!?!?o_O

It has the third pin too.

This reminds me of my father-in-law who was an intelligence officer in the Air Force. When he retired, he lived in San Antonio. He had an Air Force Smith & Wesson revolver issued to him sometime during the Korean War. It had the lanyard ring, holster, and lanyard intact! I swear to you, it looked showroom brand new. When he died, I was living in Houston at the time, and I couldn't get to San Antonio fast enough. My mother-in-law sold it for $100 before I could get there.

• Sad
Reactions: pmclaine
i'm guessing that carry-handle has that screw-hole to allow mounting of the readily-avail picatinny adapter that nestles in that U-shaped carry-handle groove? sorta like the ACOG mounting base for the carry handle.

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...15-m16-carry-handle-scope-base-prod27316.aspx

might have to replace the knob with a screw, to clear the trigger charging handle.
=========================

ETA: never mind my nonsense above. just saw some old pics on the other site, there's no screw hole, and probably no clearance for even a screw head.

Last edited:

Attachments

• carryhandle.png
    carryhandle.png
    271 KB · Views: 88
  • portuguesear.png
    portuguesear.png
    222.5 KB · Views: 66
  • ar10scope.png
    ar10scope.png
    689.4 KB · Views: 762
Last edited:
thanks for all the support, and I will pass it along to my buddy. by the way, we (shooters in the netherlands) are not allowed to go full auto with any weapon. It sucks but it doesn't stop us from shooting. This AR 10 is "modified" to a point full auto is not possible anymore. As it is not my weapon, I will pass on all your advise and comments and will steer him in the right direction to keep it as authentic as possible. He removed, on my request, that dodgy looking aluminium mount and scope, but he'll want to be mounting this red dot, as he will use this weapon in dynamic shooting tournaments. He managed to obtain a second magazine, which is quite a feat in the netherlands and quite expensive as well. Next time I see him I'll ask for more pictures and his further plans...

Thanks guys and stay healthy

Greets Tom

Netherlands was the primary buyer for the early AR10.....werent they?

This explains how this unicorn exists.

Tell me now about your pristine Johnson that you would like to add a Caldwell bipod and perhaps a scout scope to..........