6arc Powder choices

Kocher

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Minnesota
    6arc 22” ar barrel
    Getting very uninterested fast when I’m reading through Hornady’s reloading manual and it basically says there’s only a few powders that even reach high speeds h4895 with 8208? Two powders to which I don’t use and never will try to because their price and availability.

yet levolution in CFE 223 are at the top of the charts with speed and knod heavily towards leverlution.

What surprises me is that( I believe it’s called 6PPC) it’s almost identical in shape and size and based off the 220 Russian case. Varget is one of the main staples powders yet, it’s not even considered in the bolt action section of the Hornady reloading manual.

heavy recoil and not very accurate even with low es with Leverlution and near max charge…in my rifle (will be giving it one more chance)

Anyone using varget and 80 eld-vt or 87 vmax?

Getting uninterested because "there's only a few powders that even reach high speeds" is all on you. You only looked up hornady. There's a shit load of other sources with proven data. And then you contradict yourself and list more powders. Yes, lever & CFE will work great. Probably give better speeds than ARCcomp and XBR. And there are many many more. You also mentioned varget. I haven't loaded ARC but can guarantee you varget will work great too. The info is out there, you gotta get after it.

There’s plenty of pages with 6ARC data. Use the search feature.

LVR is going to be the fastest for heavies. A2230 produced 3500 fps with 58 gr VMAX for me personally from 18” proof barrel.

The following data came from VitaVuori. VV Powders are relatively cheap right now.

1722356939456.png

1722357006263.png

1722357032052.png

You may want to inquire with them about load data for the lighter bullets you mention.

Hornady developed the round yet. They don’t even use a powder that’s almost a staple use in the 6-PPC must have a reason.?

The only powders available currently to me are
    Tac, varget, and stabal match cfe223, Leverlution

Varget and stabal match are identical in speed and both are temp stable.

The other 2 are temp sensitive

All other powders ( no need to list them all ) are either unattainable or temp sensitive..

( I do not purchase 1lb jugs unless local end even that are only 2lbs at a time allowed i could have purchased 2lbs of h or I 4895
    And be out by 358 rounds (50 reds testing waste) and then re do it all again?

So why waste your time developing a load and then run out because you only got 2 pounds of powder?? F.T.S

Last edited:
    They don’t even use a powder that’s almost a staple use in the 6-PPC must have a reason.?

Most likely for the following reasons:

1. 6 PPC USA was optimized for ~ 68 grain bullets in benchrest bolt guns (2.193" max COAL, 1:14 twist)
    2. 6 ARC was optimized for 100+ grain bullets (2.26" max COAL, 1:7.5 twist)
    3. 6 PPC USA C.I.P. max average pressure is 4,050 bar = 58,740 PSI
    4. 6 ARC's SAAMI max average pressure is 52,000 psi

6 PPC has dominated short range bench rest since it's inception in 1975 by Palmisano & Pindell, standard load being 68ish grain flat base bullet on top of ~30 grains of VV N133. Sako had the round standardized by the C.I.P. in 1989 as the "6 PPC USA" - neck dimensions and load pressures vary in the wildcat 6 PPCs (pressures typically running higher) compared to the C.I.P. standard.

For practical purposes one can think of the 6 ARC as a 6 PPC that has been throated for longer & heavier projectiles, has a faster twist and is also loaded to lower pressure for gas gun use.

Reactions: db2000
    Perhaps I should’ve made my post much more simpler and just asked:

has anybody successfully used stabalmatch or Varget
    6ARC and 80-100 grain bullets

Varget doesn't make velocity in Grendel based cartridges due to it's low bulk density. The lighter the bullet, the worse Varget gets. Ball powder rules the Grendel cartridges because they are dense for weight. LeverE, CFE223, ShootersWorld Match Rifle (Lovex 2520), AA2520, AA2200, etc. 8208 is very dense and works well for an extruded powder. H4895 works with heavy for class projectiles. 6ARC is worse than 22ARC and 6.5G in this regard because it has even less case capacity than the other two.

I tried varget with the in the 6 arc. Hodgdon has varget data for the arc for 80-105g bullets. 2600 with 103s and 2500 with 105s. I was right around 2500 with 105s, 2700 with 90s.

I mostly shoot mp501 which is supposed to be similar to 2520.