• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

7.62 x 39 bolt rifle -- anybody have one? -- thoughts?

Bungi

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2012
I am considering a bolt rifle in 7.62x39.

It seems like the CZ 527 and the Ruger American are the only options. Not worth building custom for such a rifle.

So ... Anyone have any experience with either of these?

I know these two rifles will not be "tack-drivers." However, what kind of accuracy are you getting with Russian steel-cased ammo?

This will be a "just for fun" plinking rifle. Cheap and fun to shoot. Probably out to 200 yards.

Any experience you can share would be appreciated.

I looked at the Ruger in 39 for a special project but it has a std .300 bore an that will not work for the intended project. That said the one I shot would hold 1.5 moa to 400 with std wolf w/o much issue had a 2.5x8 leupold on it. Nice an lite, an somewhat compact.

I have one in a Howa mini action, and love it. It's on the left.

20190216_090450.jpg

Factory barreled action with the barrel cut to 16.25 and threaded 5/8-24. Bolt handle job done by local 'smith (Penty Wheeler in Royse City, TX). Factory stock with a Krylon job, and topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9. Factory trigger modded to break at ~1.25 pounds. TONS of fun.

I have one in a Howa mini action, and love it. It's on the left.

Factory barreled action with the barrel cut to 16.25 and threaded 5/8-24. Bolt handle job done by local 'smith (Penty Wheeler in Royse City, TX). Factory stock with a Krylon job, and topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9. Factory trigger modded to break at ~1.25 pounds. TONS of fun.
Sweet. Any info on accuracy/MV ?

Sweet. Any info on accuracy/MV ?
With Wolf 124 gr HP, I can score an occasional 1 MOA 5-round group at 100, but I have to really be on my game. More commonly I see ~1.5 MOA out of it.

Wolf 154 gr SP is pure shit in my gun and shoots about 3 MOA. Hand loads using the Sierra 150 gr .311 projectiles go into about 1 MOA at ~2150 FPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brent B
Cz527, was about 3-4 MOA with Wolf. 1.5-2.5 MOA with Brown bear/barnaul.

Pulled the barrel and I'm sitting on the project for now. Will be some form of Grendel (22, 6, or 6.5).

Found this on the Ruger forum.
"Ruger customer service just emailed me the dimensions
BORE .300 GROOVE .311 This is the same as my CZ-527 in 7.62x39."

I know when the mini 30 was first released it had a 308 groove, maybe that is were the confusion started.

Last edited:
Tighter bore for highspeed ammo is a none issue an will tighten groups up most of the time using jacketed ammo no matter the core material. However jacketed subsonic in a tight bore is a major issue unless your shooting lead core match ammo were the jacket diameter is mostly perfect every bullet. Cast loads are way more forgiving but jacketed steel core is not. An the latter was a major part of the plan.

I visited the Hornady site and things are much clearer now concerning projectile diameter. Have you tried the above load on any critters? It has to be effective.
Unfortunately, no I haven't. I have taken that load out to 600 on steel for giggles. Wind is a killer but my vertical spread stayed under moa to 500.

Reactions: Brent B
Had not thought about reloading 7.62x39. I was planning on just using the cheap Russian stuff.

Looks like they do pretty well with the reloads

Lapua makes the brass. I was thinking of having my reamer re-ground to be more appropriate for a standard .300/.308 barrel, and throated for 30 cal BR bullets(like a 30 BR would use). I bet it will shoot ragged holes.

Who didn't grow up with an SKS? I used to hunt a farm in the early 90's, mostly groundhogs with either my $89 SKS or my single shot 40xb rangemaster in .220 swift. Not a fair comparison, certainly. Since this was pre-laser rangefinder, on longer shots overlooking a large field, most of my 7.62/39 shot were way off on elevation. Hollow points in an SKS did have a dramatic effect. Anything out of the 1:14 52 gr swift was of course, DRT. In 2015 I pulled a bunch of surplus 7.62 cartridges apart (versus my loaded bench ammo) only to notice significant variances (1.0+ gr) in both bullet and charge weight, making sense why even with a match grade bbl, it would produce vertical stringing at distance.

My scoped CZ 527 in 7.62x39 is an absolute joy to shoot offhand at steel targets. I read about the occurrence of 527 stocks splitting near the receiver. An after about 600 rounds...mine developed a 1/4" long crack near the rear, top left of the receiver. The CZ supplier replaced the stock in a hurry (with no charge), and they slicked-up the bolt for me.

The early CZ 527's had magnificent Turkish walnut stocks. Mine ain't so bad either.

I would still recommend one...

I was strongly leaning toward the CZ 527.

However, the Ruger seems to get good reviews. And I think I could get the Ruger with a Bell & Carlson stock for less than the CZ.

Or just leave the Ruger alone and buy more ammo.