• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 SAUM COAL for Saami chamber

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Can't find an answer to this anywhere. So in my quest for a Magnum SA cartridge im flopping between a 300 or 7 mm SAUM. I have a Tikka action I'm using and I want to keep it short action, or I'll end up paying alot more for a chassis that I don't want. It'll be used for target shooting and hunting. If I get a Sammi chamber for a 7 SAUM what would be my ballpark COAL? I don't really have much interest in launching 180 gr vlds. I'd be fine with 140-160s. With that class of bullet will I still be able to chase the lands, or will I be too short to do anything with a Saami chamber? Would it be the same for the 300 SAUM as well with smaller grain bullets? Sorry if this is a stupid question, this is only my second custom/semi custom build.

Thanks

You might want to surf the reloading forum and see what Tikka guys in there are getting. There is a thread for each caliber with reloading results and a lot of people post rifle/COAL etc details. The "Standard" COAL is 2.825. The best way is to actually measure your rifle. For example my Rem 700 308 Saami spec has a max COAL of 2.96 (I might be wrong, I have it written down somewhere) as measured by me.

I'm not super knowledgeable of Tikka but my understanding is they are longer actions and mags than standard Rem "short action". How much longer? Dunno.

Since I have a mild interest in 7 SAUM, i checked the reloading thread myself--guys are able to hit 3 inches or more with SAAMI spec chambers depending on bullet/rifle (no two rifles are the same) or if they wanted to mag feed/single feed. HTH. last couple pages.

Okay, I'll check them out, thanks man! The Tikka SA and LA are the same action, it just users a different style bolt release, and the magazines are also the same, they just use spacers in them. Pretty ingenious design if you ask me.

Reactions: DocRDS
    168 classic hunter, are jam at 2.828 on my barrels.
    Various 180’s at 2.960 are jumping about .040ish and have shot fantastic.

My last two barrel shot fantastic all throughout their lives with one never needing adjusting OAL and the other only needed one adjustment at about 900 rounds.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dildobaggins
    168 classic hunter, are jam at 2.828 on my barrels.
    Various 180’s at 2.960 are jumping about .040ish and have shot fantastic.

My last two barrel shot fantastic all throughout their lives with one never needing adjusting OAL and the other only needed one adjustment at about 900 rounds.
    That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks! I'm getting a barrel from preferred barrels I think. They seem to have good reviews and are reasonably priced. What twist rate are your barrels?