• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

700PSS vs 700P

perkantino

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Broome County, NY
What is the difference between those two?

-How do the stocks compare. Some say the palm swell is more pronounced on the 700PSS.

-Others say it's the bedding that's different

-How about accuracy?

-Last: Is the PSS stock similar to the M24 stock minus the adjustor?

I am making a build and I need some intel, *comparison pics between 700P, 700PSS and M24

*By comparison I mean look wise

Your input would be much appreciated

Re: 700PSS vs 700P

this topic has been covered many times. try the search function. if you are going to do a build I suggest getting a Remington 700SPS. It has the same action and barrel as the Police versions, just a different stock. The Police versions have the the HS Precision stocks. If you are going to junk the stock anyway, then why pay the extra money for it. The triggers that come in the remingtons also differ by what year the gun was manufactured in. I have a 700P in 300winmag and it is a good shooter. I

When I bought mine in 1996, the 700p was just the 700 police bare rifle. The 700PSS was supposed to be "<span style="text-decoration: underline">P</span>olice <span style="text-decoration: underline">S</span>niper <span style="text-decoration: underline">S</span>ystem. It included rifle, pelican hard case, harris bipod, Uncle Mikes sling, Leupold tactical 3.5-10 duplex reticle scope. It added about $800 to the price.

Dave

The original 700P back in the day came factory with a wood stock and 24" barrel.

The next version 700P came with the HS precision stock and still 24" barrel.

Next up came the same stock but now with a 26" barrel. About this time there was the option to get it with the HS Precision DM.

My experience across the board with these (except the early wood stock version as I havent owned one) have shown all to be solid performers. It's not to say every single one will be a shooter as lemons do make their way out the door, it happens. All of mine have been solid sub-moa rifles with little to no effort and a couple being consistant half-moa rifles so long as I did my part & feeding it match ammo or hand loads.

I really like the 700PSS offerings and line up, 223 /308 / 300 / 338. I even prefer the LTR over the SPS-T but hey, that's just me.

Here is one for sale
wink.gif

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...915#Post2720915

Seriously though, they are great shooters for a factory rig. A great way to get started in LR shooting at a reasonable price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M700Aussie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi,

I am not trying to be smart, but here is a link to the search. It really is very good and just about any subject can be found.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

I was unaware of this custom search until I stumbled across the link in a thread.

Sorry if you already have this, but I'm just trying to help.</div></div>

Yeah you are trying to be smart. If you are going mention search make sure the search yields fruit. Everytime someone asks a question, there always that GUY who mentions search no matter what. Sometimes it is warranted, but now it's become a reflex. This is not a trivial question. There are 4 types of HS stocks out there with palm swells, and the differences are very slight. You know how I know that? I searched!!! in fact some 700pss come with two different types of stocks apparently, like the triggers are different (old school or new remi style triggs). Now since I don't have the hard information (Meaning the stock to corroborate that info) I need people with the actual guns to tell me. If you don't have the info stay off, because you are telling me something I already know.
In fact you little search stunt returned my own posts!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hookman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is one for sale
wink.gif

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...915#Post2720915

Seriously though, they are great shooters for a factory rig. A great way to get started in LR shooting at a reasonable price. </div></div>

Yeah I have been eyeing that one.

Good luck I had a few phone conversations with Rem both Mil/LE division and Civi side and neither had a straight answer on specs and worst of all each said that the PSS was made on the others line...cross pointing all over the place.

To add to the confusion there were/are special runs that are distributor exclusives that have different stock and barreled action combos from the catalog line.

Current spec would be the HS M-24 stock, bear in mind thats HSP nomenclature of the stock and has no bearing on wether or not its the stock used on the M-24 rifle which can be had with a few different stock combos.

What is your end goal? Are you looking for a specific configuration or a starting point for a full build. I guess what I'm asking is what are you willing to change on a rifle and what are you not willing to.

I have a 700 PSS 300wm and it was a .75-.5 shooter on a good day at 100 (5rnd groups). The 5Rs seem to be consistant .5 or better. Only real shortfall with the 5R is the color SS action and green (M-24) stock. Both issues easily solved by durracoat.

From my knowledge.
The 700P (Police) is a name convention change <only> from the PSS (Police Sharp Shooter, Police Synthetic Stock, whatever). The PSS name is discontinued.

I have noticed over the years that folks will take whatever varient they can from Remmy and claim it is some magical factory custom job or has more accurate properties. The 5R Mil-Spec and discontinued PSS are good examples.

FME: The real differences your going see are in the stock and the metal coating.

Is it me or do those two stocks look different at the forend?
Second pic, (the stock on the USR) looks thicker than a 700P stock no ??
Top rifle on first pic is a 700USR below it, is a 700p
Second pic is of the USR.
That's the M24 stock apparently on the USR, the one with the adjustable butt (sounds funny). Even HS says on their site that only this stock features the double swell, but everyone else says there are the same stocks as the P/PSS stocks, just missing the adjustor. From the pic though the stock with the adjustor looks beefier No?

pix901522502.jpg

pix052631754.jpg

Now, first things first. I was not trying to be smart, I was trying to help you out in case you did not know where the search was located.

As I said in my post it is tricky to find and I think the context was misunderstood.

I am sorry for offending you. I know what you mean about the default responce but I meant no harm by it.

OK, here's how I am seeing how it's progressing.

The factory run 700P / PSS HS Precision stocks have always been the same with the exception of the versions that have the DM and even then it's still the same stock , only a floorplate difference.

Remember these are not M24 stocks, the M24 is a long action and has adjustable LOP.

Now to the pictures above. The 700USR has even a different stock yet. It's shorter in the forearm area than the P/PSS & M24, obviously the adjustable cheek & LOP, and a DM system that is even different from the previous PSS DM option.

Without having a P/PSS and USR side by side it's tough to really tell how much thicker the USR really is, slightly but not much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, here's how I am seeing how it's progressing.

The factory run 700P / PSS HS Precision stocks have always been the same with the exception of the versions that have the DM and even then it's still the same stock , only a floorplate difference.

Remember these are not M24 stocks, the M24 is a long action and has adjustable LOP.

Now to the pictures above. The 700USR has even a different stock yet. It's shorter in the forearm area than the P/PSS & M24, obviously the adjustable cheek & LOP, and a DM system that is even different from the previous PSS DM option.

Without having a P/PSS and USR side by side it's tough to really tell how much thicker the USR really is, slightly but not much. </div></div>

Fascinating. Them H-S stocks are incredible!

HS has changed their stocks slightly over the years as well. I agree the USR looks different BUT it also looks different from the OLDER M-24 stock I owned. Still have an HSP rifle with the "Oar" shapped M-24 (LOP and Cheek) and its forearm is like the PSS rifle.

So what are you looking for? IMO order the stock you want from HS or Stockys (Stockys stocks stocks lol) and get a 5R and have it cerracoated to match would cost less and you would get the EXACT stock you want and a proven shooter. Sell off the 5R stock they sell quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HS has changed their stocks slightly over the years as well. I agree the USR looks different BUT it also looks different from the OLDER M-24 stock I owned. Still have an HSP rifle with the "Oar" shapped M-24 (LOP and Cheek) and its forearm is like the PSS rifle.

So what are you looking for? IMO order the stock you want from HS or Stockys (Stockys stocks stocks lol) and get a 5R and have it cerracoated to match would cost less and you would get the EXACT stock you want and a proven shooter. Sell off the 5R stock they sell quick.</div></div>

That's precisely what I am going to do.

+1 for Stockys. I know its not the same scale, but I bought a Bell & Carlson target/varmint stock for my 10/22 from them. Very quick delivery and good prices.

When I do my custom .308 build, I will be sure to go back.