• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Photos 7mm RSAUM

sgtjchino

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
7mm RSAUM built by Greg Tannel Gre'Tan Rifles. Remington 700 LA, complete action and bolt work; Broughton 28.25, Standard Palma, 1-9, .315 neck for Berger Hybrid; Epoxy bedded in a Manners MCS-DBM mini chassis system, T4A in multi-cam; Cera-kote coating; Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS HS Zero Stop, NPR1 mounted on Seekins Precision base and rings.

Re: 7mm RSAUM

Looking real good. Would you share the load? I gather its Berger 180g Hybrid, but what powder charge, brass and primer, OAL? Also what MV you getting?

thanks!

I use the rest because I built the rifle as a dual purpose rifle as I do not have the moola to have several precision rifles. I wanted a tactical as well as a rifle I can begin to shoot f class in. I plan to purchase a bi-pod soon to satisfy the feild shooting side of me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking real good. Would you share the load? I gather its Berger 180g Hybrid, but what powder charge, brass and primer, OAL? Also what MV you getting?

thanks! </div></div>

Thanks guys. I have been dreaming about this rifle since I left the Corps 12 years ago. Lots of over time!

Here is what I have for the load so far (only 20 rounds through the gun so far);

Fully prepped Remington 7mm SAUM brass, necks turned to .0145 for .002 clearance in chamber.
The load I shot on this day was 60 grains of 4831SC BR2 Primers 180 gr Berger Hybrid 2940 fps. No pressure signs at 75 deg. Bullet .011 from lands. 2.346 Base to Ogive. 3.075 over all length. ES is a little high at 40 fps but I believe it is due to the DAAG 156 Collidal Graphite I used durring break in (used to fill in the microstrucure of the barrel with graphite instead of carbon & copper). All that is done now so hopefully I see the ES close up.

Heading out this weekend to throw a couple down range with 60.5 grains of 4831SC behind the Hybrid.

Thanks for the details load notes SGT-

I'm building a 7 SAUM as well (its a blank, action and scope right now - waiting on Manners stock). I have a notes folder of SAUM loads and I printed your notes out for that folder - appreciate them a lot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtjchino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ES is a little high at 40 fps but I believe it is due to the DAAG 156 Collidal Graphite I used durring break in (used to fill in the microstrucure of the barrel with graphite instead of carbon & copper). All that is done now so hopefully I see the ES close up.
</div></div>

Oh yeah, that ES will come down as your get some bullets down the tube... Just make sure your powder charges are consistent and the brass is sorted and you'll be fine.

Again, really like your set up! And it will be a beast w/ those ballistics and accuracy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bender338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who makes the rear rest? </div></div>

Walmart $20

I prefer my Triad rear-bag for the ground but the Walmart one is better on a bench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the details load notes SGT-

I'm building a 7 SAUM as well (its a blank, action and scope right now - waiting on Manners stock). I have a notes folder of SAUM loads and I printed your notes out for that folder - appreciate them a lot!

</div></div>

It took 4 monthes for my stock from order to shipment. That was all ok because I waited for Greg Tannel for 11 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lodi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really nice setup! Is this a target or hunting rig? </div></div>

Both. I want the accuracy from a competetion rifle and wanted the ruggedness that I have here. Rifle is about 15.5 lbs. Thats fine with me. M40's back in my day were about 14.5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bender338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who makes the rear rest? </div></div>

Walmart $20

I prefer my Triad rear-bag for the ground but the Walmart one is better on a bench. </div></div>

Thats right. Rear rest was bought at wal-mart. Made by winchester. The rear bag is not as sturdy as I would like but cant complain after paying 20 bones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mbandy13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who did the paint.

thanks

mike </div></div>

Paint was done by the stock maker. Manners Composite Stocks. They have many patterns availiable.

Took the rifle out today and shot 4 rounds at 351 yards.

After the first shot I could see the hole off to the right of the POA. I figured "just shoot a goup and see what I get". Fired the second round and observed no impact. Fired the third, still could not see any aditional holes. I got really frustrated wondering where in the world I was hitting. I pulled the last shot off in disapointment. Impact. 0.8 inches south of the first shot.

I Loaded up all my gear, walked to my target and was amazed. I shot a .31 inch 3 shot group at 351 yards before I yanked that final shot out. Overall group measured 1.14 inches. The real frustration came after I realized I could have had a great group. Picture is the one with a penny.

Gre'Tan knows how to build a Rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtjchino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Took the rifle out today and shot 4 rounds at 351 yards.

After the first shot I could see the hole off to the right of the POA. I figured "just shoot a goup and see what I get". Fired the second round and observed no impact. Fired the third, still could not see any aditional holes. I got really frustrated wondering where in the world I was hitting. I pulled the last shot off in disapointment. Impact. 0.8 inches south of the first shot.

I Loaded up all my gear, walked to my target and was amazed. I shot a .31 inch 3 shot group at 351 yards before I yanked that final shot out. Overall group measured 1.14 inches. The real frustration came after I realized I could have had a great group. Picture is the one with a penny.

Gre'Tan knows how to build a Rifle. </div></div>

SGT-
I'm following this w/ interest given my pending SAUM build. Was this group fired w/ 60.5grains H4831? MV?

No need to say it, but .31" at 351yds speaks volumes about the rifle, the cartridge, Berger bullets, and your reloading and shooting skills. Great work!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtjchino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Took the rifle out today and shot 4 rounds at 351 yards.

Gre'Tan knows how to build a Rifle. </div></div>

SGT-
I'm following this w/ interest given my pending SAUM build. Was this group fired w/ 60.5grains H4831? MV?

No need to say it, but .31" at 351yds speaks volumes about the rifle, the cartridge, Berger bullets, and your reloading and shooting skills. Great work!
</div></div>

Thanks Brother. I bumped up my charge to 61 grains of 4831SC. Did'nt change anything else. Average Velocity was 2940. Same as before but velocity is begining to level out and becoming more consistant now that I am putting more rounds through it. No pressure signs at all. I dont know if I want to try and push the velocity to get to 3000 fps in my 28.25 inch Broughton. Seems good where it is at. This weekend I will head out to and try to shoot around 700 yards.