Range Report 7mm08 or something?

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Building a new rig and was wondering what you guys thought about the 7mm08. Don't really need much info on .308 have one and theres plenty of info on it. So since I already have one looking for something diffent. Rem sa, use deer, ground hogs, maybe tatical match, and shooting for beer money. So it has to be a highly accurate round no barrel bunners. I can reload but want to just buy match bulk ammo, just easier! What are your ideas? Just waiting for bottom metal to get here and all is off to smith so I gotta decide this caliber.

Re: 7mm08 or something?

There are some excellent bullet choices with higher BCs grain-for-grain than .308. However, off-the-shelf ammo is more expensive than .308 and harder to find. If you handload, the (personal bias expressed here) drawback is less brass choice. I love my Lapua and they don't make 7mm-08 brass. So it's either neck down or go with Winchester.

I have been contemplating a new deer rifle, shooting for dollars rifle. I too am considering a 7mm-08. Remington 700 action, squared and blueprinted, 22" SS bbl., heavy contour and fluted to max to cut down on weight. Still up in air on stock choice. Think I want to set it up for 120gr. bullets, primarily Nosler 120gr Ballistic tips, and Barnes Triple-Shoks. I hope the length will cooperate with both of them. I handload so factory match ammo is of no concern to me. Plan on trying Varget, can get 3000fps or close to it with Varget. I stockpile lots of Varget for my 223's and 308. Ought to make a very good 400yd deer rifle. Just wish I had access to the different McMillians and Manners stocks so I could make a better decision on stock choice.

i just built a 24" barrel 7mm-08 and it pushes the 162 amax 2750. this kicks the shit out of 308 ballistically with only slightly lower barrel life. however i am a handloadef, and this velocity was achieved within hodgon's guidelines for H4350 47.8gr almost max but no pressure signs.

IMGP9669.jpg

7mm-08 is okay, yeh probably from a ballistics point of view, currently runs better projectiles compared to a .308...

However, If i were going to run a 7mm, I would want to run the berger 180 VLDs and I would want to run the fast.

Maximum BC for that caliber and reduced lag time via a fast case and powder combo...

My choice is would be is a short magnum... 7mmRSAUM or 7mmWSM.

Hands down beats the shit out of 7mm-08, but it burns the barrel more in comparison.

I wouldnt have it any other way and besides to take full use of the 7mm range of brilliant projectiles you need to handload.

Just my 0.02

But yes, the 7mm08 is very appealing when compared to a .308win.

I am building a straight 284 on a short aciton and I am going to make a single shot out of it. It has enough case cap. to push the heavier bullets fast enough to get the advantage of the heavier bullets BC.

Even though it will push the 180s just fine I am building mine to shoot the 162 to 168s. I feel with my case I can push them a little faster and still run with the 180s out of my rifle.

I really like the 7MM-08 but feel its to small to really get the advantage of the heavier bullets. Good luck in your quest!!

6.5mm and 7mm commercial match ammo is not especially easy to find, especially on local shelves. For 7mm, I think 7-08 and especially .280 Rem (7mm Rem Express) are quite ballistically adequate at long range, but as commercially availabile match ammo goes, I'd want to defer in favor of .308 and .30-'06.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who honestly buys factory ammo </div></div>

My financial advisor. He's gonna get a creed for just that reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just built a 24" barrel 7mm-08 and it pushes the 162 amax 2750. this kicks the shit out of 308 ballistically with only slightly lower barrel life. however i am a handloadef, and this velocity was achieved within hodgon's guidelines for H4350 47.8gr almost max but no pressure signs.

IMGP9669.jpg
</div></div>Nice looking righ there!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bubb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Building a new rig and was wondering what you guys thought about the 7mm08. Don't really need much info on .308 have one and theres plenty of info on it. So since I already have one looking for something diffent. Rem sa, use deer, ground hogs, maybe tatical match, and shooting for beer money. So it has to be a highly accurate round no barrel bunners. <span style="color: #3333FF">I can reload but want to just buy match bulk ammo, just easier!</span> What are your ideas? Just waiting for bottom metal to get here and all is off to smith so I gotta decide this caliber. </div></div>

If you don't want a 308, get a 6.5 Creedmoor. Not a "barrel burner" with factory match ammo and Hornady's 140 Amax is a good load.

I love my 7-08, but the highlighted comment of yours doesn't jive with 7-08's.

Diggler - very nice looking rifle but I have a question about the load. 47.8gr of H4350 fills a 7-08 case to the bottom of the neck and to seat a 162 amax to a normal length would be a seriously compressed load unless your chamber is throated long.

Not sure what you are running for mag length but am curious what you are running for coal and how it feeds though your action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Diggler - very nice looking rifle but I have a question about the load. 47.8gr of H4350 fills a 7-08 case to the bottom of the neck and to seat a 162 amax to a normal length would be a seriously compressed load unless your chamber is throated long.

Not sure what you are running for mag length but am curious what you are running for coal and how it feeds though your action?</div></div>

it is not even close to top of case for me, i run aw mags coal of 2.85 i am aways off the lands i had it built for the heavies.

Looks like a 24" plus brake.

And I agree with the 162 Amax comment. What powder did you wind up with for the Amax's? I'm still playing around, but me match load is still 40.3 I4895.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DJA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm not sure what else one would want in quality match ammo for the 7-08. </div></div>

Hornady 162 Amax's at 2750 out of their 26" test barrel (would match my load nicely)
wink.gif