• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

8.6 Blackout Build Upgrade

I figured you guys would get as big as a kick out of this as I do. I built my 8.6BLK a couple months ago, and have been waiting for the Porq Chop I ordered to get out of paperwork jail, which it finally did last weekend.

So the basics: Aero stripped upper and lower, 12” Faxon barrel, SLR handguard, ambi controls, TriggerTech single stage 3lb drop in trigger, Magpul grip and vertical grip, Aero BCG, Radian charging handle, Super 42 spring with Odin adjustable weight, SOPMOD (SBR’ed of course), Cherry Bomb muzzle device, Arken Optics 1-8 LPVO.

I mounted the can onto the rifle and realized something was missing. I have the Sylvan Arms folding stock adapter on all my AR15s, and since the buffer tube on an AR10 is the same size as an AR15’s, I figured, why the hell not? Ordered one, it got delivered Monday afternoon, threw it on Monday night. Now with the can and folding stock adapter, I am really loving this build. It’s a bit heavy (I’m guessing somewhere between 10lbs and 12lbs), but I’ve replaced my 12.5” 5.56 SBR with my 8.6 as the rifle I keep in my go bag.

I had some Magpul flip up backup sights, but didn’t like them, and threw those 45° flip up sights on it tonight, but I’m not really liking those either, so those may come off. If they do, I may just get a 45° mount and throw a red dot on it.

Attachments

• IMG_8935.jpeg
    IMG_8935.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8937.jpeg
    IMG_8937.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8939.jpeg
    IMG_8939.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8936.jpeg
    IMG_8936.jpeg
    679.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8938.jpeg
    IMG_8938.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 20
I figured you guys would get as big as a kick out of this as I do. I built my 8.6BLK a couple months ago, and have been waiting for the Porq Chop I ordered to get out of paperwork jail, which it finally did last weekend.

So the basics: Aero stripped upper and lower, 12” Faxon barrel, SLR handguard, ambi controls, TriggerTech single stage 3lb drop in trigger, Magpul grip and vertical grip, Aero BCG, Radian charging handle, Super 42 spring with Odin adjustable weight, SOPMOD (SBR’ed of course), Cherry Bomb muzzle device, Arken Optics 1-8 LPVO.

I mounted the can onto the rifle and realized something was missing. I have the Sylvan Arms folding stock adapter on all my AR15s, and since the buffer tube on an AR10 is the same size as an AR15’s, I figured, why the hell not? Ordered one, it got delivered Monday afternoon, threw it on Monday night. Now with the can and folding stock adapter, I am really loving this build. It’s a bit heavy (I’m guessing somewhere between 10lbs and 12lbs), but I’ve replaced my 12.5” 5.56 SBR with my 8.6 as the rifle I keep in my go bag.

I had some Magpul flip up backup sights, but didn’t like them, and threw those 45° flip up sights on it tonight, but I’m not really liking those either, so those may come off. If they do, I may just get a 45° mount and throw a red dot on it.
NICE!!!

I have a Pork Chop awaiting approval for my 8.BLK SBR (8" barrel, Law Tactical folder).

Have you put rounds downrange with your 8.6 and the Pork Chop?

Note: Is your Sylvan Arms folder V4 or V5? If you have the V4, you will probably want to return that (if able) and get the V5. The V5 has a steel connector between lower and adapter, whereas the V4 uses aluminum AND IS NOT CAPABLE of handling the energy of a 300BLK (don't ask me how I know). With the 8.6BLK being a higher energy producer, if the SA folder is a V4, you MAY encounter a failure at the coupling mechanism. I sent SA an email in April/May timeframe to explain what happened to me with my SA V4 folder on my 300BLK (with video of the issue actually happening). The response was meh...then I see a V5 come to market back in July with a steel coupler. Perhaps my email provided the impetus to upgrade that part to steel for better structural rigidity.

Last edited:
NICE!!!

I have a Pork Chop awaiting approval for my 8.BLK SBR (8" barrel, Law Tactical folder).

Have you put rounds downrange with your 8.6 and the Pork Chop?

Note: Is your Sylvan Arms folder V4 or V5? If you have the V4, you will probably want to return that (if able) and get the V5. The V5 has a steel connector between lower and adapter, whereas the V4 uses aluminum AND IS NOT CAPABLE of handling the energy of a 300BLK (don't ask me how I know). With the 8.6BLK being a higher energy producer, if the SA folder is a V4, you MAY encounter a failure at the coupling mechanism. I sent SA an email in April/May timeframe to explain what happened to me with my SA V4 folder on my 300BLK (with video of the issue actually happening). The response was meh...then I see a V5 come to market back in July with a steel coupler. Perhaps my email provided the impetus to upgrade that part to steel for better structural rigidity.

Yeah I snuck out of work a bit early on Tuesday and went to the range by the office. It runs. It runs very well. I let one of the RSOs, who is a buddy of mine, shoot it as well, and we were both just laughing because of how quiet it is. There was a guy a couple lanes down from me shooting a suppressed .22LR, and I swear mine was quieter. It was freaking great. It was even quieter than my .300BLK with subs running my Harvester Evo .30 Cal can.

To answer your question, mine is a Gen 4 Sylvan Arms adapter. I read that as well, but figured, F it. If it runs great, if not, I’ll put the retaining spring and pin back in it. Optics Planet (who I order a lot of my stuff through, partly because they have great deals all the time, but mostly because they have an app and I can do it all easily from my phone) had the Gen 4’s in stock, and on sale now that the Gen 5’s are out. I put almost 100 rounds through it (so almost $300 in ammo…..) and the only problem I had was a due to one dud round. Even mag dumped almost a full mag, not a single hiccup. I just wish ammo wasn’t $60/box so I could shoot it more.

• Love
Reactions: USK308
Yeah I snuck out of work a bit early on Tuesday and went to the range by the office. It runs. It runs very well. I let one of the RSOs, who is a buddy of mine, shoot it as well, and we were both just laughing because of how quiet it is. There was a guy a couple lanes down from me shooting a suppressed .22LR, and I swear mine was quieter. It was freaking great. It was even quieter than my .300BLK with subs running my Harvester Evo .30 Cal can.

To answer your question, mine is a Gen 4 Sylvan Arms adapter. I read that as well, but figured, F it. If it runs great, if not, I’ll put the retaining spring and pin back in it. Optics Planet (who I order a lot of my stuff through, partly because they have great deals all the time, but mostly because they have an app and I can do it all easily from my phone) had the Gen 4’s in stock, and on sale now that the Gen 5’s are out. I put almost 100 rounds through it (so almost $300 in ammo…..) and the only problem I had was a due to one dud round. Even mag dumped almost a full mag, not a single hiccup. I just wish ammo wasn’t $60/box so I could shoot it more.
Outstanding!!! Thank you for the feedback. I was considering the CGS Hekate...but for the $$ the Q Pork Chop appeared to be very close in all specs to the Hekate.

My 300BLK runs an Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen L 7.62 and it is extremely quiet. I have hopes, based on the research I have done, that my 8.6BLK with the Q Pork Chop will be as quiet or better.

Parts should be back from Cerakote very soon, so I can do the assembly (head spacing on the barrel done already. Finding Go/No-Go gauges was a PITA, but I finally did get em) and initial AGB setup and barrel break in (Faxon 8") using supersonic rounds.

Outstanding!!! Thank you for the feedback. I was considering the CGS Hekate...but for the $$ the Q Pork Chop appeared to be very close in all specs to the Hekate.

My 300BLK runs an Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen L 7.62 and it is extremely quiet. I have hopes, based on the research I have done, that my 8.6BLK with the Q Pork Chop will be as quiet or better.

Parts should be back from Cerakote very soon, so I can do the assembly (head spacing on the barrel done already. Finding Go/No-Go gauges was a PITA, but I finally did get em) and initial AGB setup and barrel break in (Faxon 8") using supersonic rounds.
I chose the Porq Chop for a few different reasons. First off, the FFL I was ordering through (via SilencerShops) had it in stock, my Faxon barrel is M18x1.5 thread, which is the same thread for the Cherry Bomb (which the Porq Chop mounts to), but mostly it has to do with the brand itself.

Kevin Brittingham and Q created the 8.6 Blackout round, tested, and perfected it. I saw numerous videos on the 8.6 before I decided that’s what I was going to build (I was wanting to do an AR10 SBR, couldn’t decide on .308 or 6.5CM until I started looking into it), plus read everything I could on Pew Science. Then when I saw my FFL had it in stock, that made up my mind for me.

And if you’re wondering if the folding stock adapter throws the shots off any, it doesn’t. I don’t normally do this, but I was on when I shot on Tuesday and took this picture before I threw the target in the trash. The middle is my RSO buddy, the top left is me. Now granted it was only a 50 yard range, but that’s one mag of 20 rounds of 8.6 Blackout (which I will give most of the credit to the Arken Optic LPVO).

Attachments

• IMG_8941.jpeg
    IMG_8941.jpeg
    422.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Love
I chose the Porq Chop for a few different reasons. First off, the FFL I was ordering through (via SilencerShops) had it in stock, my Faxon barrel is M18x1.5 thread, which is the same thread for the Cherry Bomb (which the Porq Chop mounts to), but mostly it has to do with the brand itself.

Kevin Brittingham and Q created the 8.6 Blackout round, tested, and perfected it. I saw numerous videos on the 8.6 before I decided that’s what I was going to build (I was wanting to do an AR10 SBR, couldn’t decide on .308 or 6.5CM until I started looking into it), plus read everything I could on Pew Science. Then when I saw my FFL had it in stock, that made up my mind for me.
That is precisely why I went that route myself. I had considered buying a custom barrel through MOS-TEK, but could not justify a $650 barrel... :)

That is precisely why I went that route myself. I had considered buying a custom barrel through MOS-TEK, but could not justify a $650 barrel... :)
Lol I feel you. I had enough trouble shelling out almost $400 for a smurfing handguard, but the SLR handguard I got was specifically designed for an 8.6BLK on an AR10 receiver with a 12” barrel. It was almost as if it was preordained by the gun gods.

• Haha