8 Mag is going to 2,000 yards.

Rapidrob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
New Mexico
Since last winter I have been working with my 8MM Remington Magnum rifle and the new powders / bullets being sold today.
The results I'm getting on target are far better than I expected. I found in my rifle that the new Winchester 860 Supreme Hybrid powder is the powder for this cartridge. Pushing a 200 grain bullet to 3,300 FPS at 3/4 the maximum safe working pressure really makes this caliber shine.
I've been talking to Sierra's engineers and they are seriously considering making a 250 grain .323 Match King bullet. I hope this does happen.
The rifle was sighted in on our 1,000 yard target and will hold a 8"group in a ten MPH wind all day long. I moved out to the 1,400 yard gong and it was hit with no real surprises.
The President of the One Mile Club was on hand and has invited me to shoot with them at their new 2,000 yard range. My 200 grain bullet is still very super-sonic at that range and should do well.
Our only real obstacle is Mirage. It is so dry here that the boil really distorts the line of sight. Seeing the bullet impact is a challenge. For all intents and purposes, we can only shoot in the early morning hours, or shoot from an elevated position in order to even see the target / impacts.
I'm building a CCTV transmitter / receiver that will help show the hits and misses.
Privi Partizan is making a 200 grain FMJ .323 bullet that is as good as any match bullet I have fired. I bought a batch of them to try out and weighed them all. Out of 100 bullets pulled at random, I found that all were within one grain max from the heaviest to the lightest. Not bad for a bulk sold bullet. Diameter was dead bolts on .323.
The bases are perfectly formed. A big plus. So far I have fired 60 of these bullets at ranges from 200-1,400 yards and there were no fliers. They buck the wind well and do not foul the bore with jacket material. The bullet is non-magnetic.
I look forward to shooting 2,000 yards. The rifle and ammo will do it, I just have to do my part.

Rapidrob,

Sounds interesting, I always thought that the 8mm round was was neglected. Your, 200 grain bullet at 3,300 FPS at 3/4 the maximum safe working pressure sounds like a hot load to me. How long is your barrel and how do you know your load is 3/4 safe working pressure?

Another bullet option for you could be to turn down some 300gn Lapua scenar bullets in a lathe from .338" to .325" they have a thick jacket and 7.5 thou missing from each side would not create many issues. leave you with a high BC option in 8mm.

Good luck at 2000, I will be keen to see how things go.

That 8mm Mag cartridge is an ass kicker. Love the 7mm STW also. Keep us posted. That might be the nudge I need to get a rifle chambered this round. How is brass availability?

Wadcutter as usual throws out some reasoning!
If by chance you're looking for bullets, Matrix Ballistics may actually make you some. There's a couple guys around here building a whole caliber gun, and Matrix stepped up to the plate and made some for it. I'm positive it was less than 2k total, but with the assumption more would be made later. And I can vouch that they're nice looking projectiles. Your situation sounds even more promising than that one, here, I'm assuming the 325 WSM is the same caliber??

Anyway, if interested, give the guy a call, he supposedly is one good guy!!

Rapidrob, I know there are plenty of places down there in New Mexico to shoot, but if you're interested you can always drive up here to Utah and we can help you out with some darned nice places with elevated shooting points to 2,000+ almost on demand.

Your combo sounds like an outstanding match. Hornady makes a 196-grainer, maybe the Europeans or Scandinavians have a 250?

Last edited:
I had Douglas bore me a 29.5" XX barrel that is a very slow tapered turn to the muzzle where a J&P muzzle brake is attached. There is no real recoil to speak of.
The new Hybrid powders were developed for the US Navy to increase range. They do that very well. At the same time, their burning rates are such that the high pressures of the older style powders are not reached. I took my rifle to work and placed out Pizo strain gauge over the chamber area of my rifle. Remington and others say max chamber pressure should no go above 65,000 psi. My load,at our altitude and no humidity, is producing a displayed pressure of 58,000 psi. I'm getting good case life neck sizing only with little to no case neck stretching.
When I cannot find 8 mag brass, I resize / fire-form .300 H&H brass,.416 Rem Mag, and .300 Wetherby brass. Elk hunting is big out here and brass is easy to find.
These new powders have to be tried. I'm died in the wool, old school, been shooting competition rifle for 50 years now. I have never seen anything like these new powders. The reports I'm getting from .223 on up using these powders are impressive.
I'm working on compiling data on bullets from 150-250 grains out of my rifle keeping track of pressures and on target performance. So far I see nothing derogatory about these new powders other than try to find them!

About 25-30 years ago I had a 49 1/2lb 1000yard rifle made up by a smith in PA named Gene Graybill. Odd 3 lug rebated bolt action in a big bedding block with the barrel free-floated out the front of the block
and the action free-floated out the back. The cartridge was called .308 Super and was just an 8mm mag necked down to .30 cal. Shot very well and was pretty popular back then. I bought a lot more brass than I
needed and had a 7 STW made just to use it up.

Ron,

I killed my elk last year and the year before with a .30-8mm (AKA .308 Super). I've built many of them but the present one is one of the most accurate. I shot a .96" 3 shot group at 550yds with it last year. It's a Bartlein Sendero contour.

If I still had mine, I bet it would be interesting to shoot now with the improvements in barrel and bullet quality.
Ron

FWIW, the WWII German 7.92mm (8mm) 198 gr. bullet was designed to stay stable from a machine gun in 7.92x57 out to 2500m. IMO, that is a more ballistically efficient bullet than the match bullets we get today. It does not have the concentric quality that today's bullets have.

I hope that if Sierra does come out with a .250 gr. bullet, they optimize it for a 1-9.44" (240mm) twist and not a 1-10" twist.

Great job on the shooting Rapidrob and glad you "rediscovered" the 8mm's.

along this line, I'm thinking about a finer old German unbelted cartridge, the 8x68 Shuler, technically a 8x57mauser on steroids, or "magnum", if we like better_ quality brass quite costly but easily available in Europe_...food for thoughts