8 twist .338?

excaliber

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2011
Abingdon,Va
Anyone running an 8 ROT .338? I have news that in the near future there will be new .338 bullets out that will require at least an 8 twist barrel. I believe Augustus was running one but not sure.

Re: 8 twist .338?

Augustus has several tight twist 375s, including one that is an 8.0 and one that is a 6.5 exit twist. He does not have a tight twist 338.

Frank and I both have an exit twist barrel at 5.4" for .338. I think one more at that twist may exist in North America, Washington I recall. None of the major manufactures makes a 8.0 twist as a standard barrel, at least as far as I know (possibly Lilja, I don't recall) I don't track the button barrels so much, so maybe one of them does).

I heard that Bartlein is no longer willing to make the super tight exit twist barrels, but that was not told to me directly by Frank or anyone at Bartlein.

Supposedly Rock will give you what you want, but I have not heard anyone talking about using 1:8.0" twist barrels for 338s.

Who is the bullet maker that is going to release the super bullet?

Jeffvn

I talked to Bartlein a few months ago and they will make me an .338 8 twist barrel. I can`t say yet who is making the "super bullet". It will be around 6 calibers long. I don`t want a button barrel as the twist is not exact as a cut barrel. I was just wondering if anybody has tried an 8 twist (not gain) in a 338 with luck.

I don't have an eight twist 338, the tightest I have is a nine. I am looking for a seven twist to build a 338/7BR Subsonic.

Excaliber, just be aware there have been several attempts at perfecting a projo around six calibers in length. Most have been pretty cantankerous and all have required tighter twists than predicted. Unless someone has a new design that has solved the LONG NOSE SYNDROME I seriously doubt an 8 twist will stabilize a mono metal 338 that is six calibers or greater in length.

Anyway my advice is go for it if you can afford it, just be aware this area of so called expertise is awash in BS.

Oh, just for everyone's info, I have had a couple of barrels ordered from Rock for two yrs this Feb. I have gotten so many stories it has become comical. I have several barrels from Rock and all are shooters but they are having issues getting barrels out right now.

excaliber,

I have a 8.5 twist, 20" Bartlein chambered in 338 Lapua in the works. Once I recieve the rifle I'll try some Berger, Sierra, Lapua, and Cutting Edge bullets, and mabe some Rocky Mountains Should have some results in March.... I was in Glade Springs this last week soaking up the sun shine.

Excaliber,

I don't know about any new bullet but the .300 grain Bergers are fantastic in my Edge. As for barrels, I unfortunately have to agree with Augustus on Rock barrels, the last story I got was almost to comical to repeat. sweet pickles, where you down here schooling with a guy named Dan?

sweet pickles, you will have to come back down and shoot with us sometime. We can shoot out to about 2700yds. We shot some Rock barrels about 3yrs ago chambered in 6mmBRX. After 550 rounds, the throat was burned out. 30grs of powder, 105gr Berger, 8 twist. Must have been some bad steel.

I got my information from Todd Hodnett in regard to using an 8 or 8.5 twist barrel for a 20" 338. He said that he had good results with heavy 338 bullets, 20", and faster twist barrels. Also if you look on the DTA website they are showing a 1:9 twist for their short barreled 338s.

I was in Glade Springs visiting family for Christmas, didn't bring a rifle to shoot, and was kicking myself for not doing so. The weather was amazing!

M.Williams;

No, I was just in town visiting for an early Christmas, hope to get back your way in the future and have a longer stay so that I can see family and get some shooting in, the weather here in Fairbanks is a real challenge for shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sweet pickles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my information from Todd Hodnett in regard to using an 8 or 8.5 twist barrel for a 20" 338. He said that he had good results with heavy 338 bullets, 20", and faster twist barrels. Also if you look on the DTA website they are showing a 1:9 twist for their short barreled 338s.

I was in Glade Springs visiting family for Christmas, didn't bring a rifle to shoot, and was kicking myself for not doing so. The weather was amazing!

</div></div>

Nobody every accused him of being very smart when it comes to this... if you were shooting subsonics, then, okay... but nobody is getting "good results" from an 8 twist 338... not with anything practical.

if you are alternating between subsonics, you might have an argument for this.

Speaking with Bartlein barrels on this very subject, TH and 8 twist it was nothing but a lot of eye rolling.

Thanks Frank, You know, you may be right, but he was the one that I went with at the time. His positive attitude and willingness to share his 338 experience with me, at the time, is what sold me on the faster twist rate. I'll know if he was right or wrong once I get some Berger and Cutting Edge rounds loaded up and see where they hit the paper. Again this combination may not work. If it doesn't I''ll try a slower twist rate.

You went 8.5, so you may be ok... It'll be Interesting see how much effort will get you sub moa results on paper out to distance.

Focus on the vertical and some extended distance groups, then post your results. Shooting on paper will be key.