• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

90 gr bullets in 223 cal

Forrest Gump

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2006
temple ga
I was wondering if anyone here has expeimented with the 90 grn bullets in a 223.I am looking at building a 223 bolt gun with a 1 in 6.5 twist - 32 in long . and wil be shooting to a 1000yds.I know sierra reccomends that twist rate with the 90 grainers , but I cant find any info as to what kind of velocity or accuracy people are getting. any info would be appreciated.

Re: 90 gr bullets in 223 cal

It is possible as the AMU shot them at 1000 for awhile. They use Ar-10's now. I personally have never shot the 90gr.but I have heard that the 90 JLK or whoever owns it now makes a pretty good 90 VLD. Not sure on the velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is possible as the AMU shot them at 1000 for awhile. They use Ar-10's now.</div></div>

They shoot them in what, their High Power team? Unless something has changed in the last year or two, if they shoot service rifle, they have to shoot .223.

I have shot the 90 grain bullet in an ar platform. the only thing with them is that you have to have the chamber cut deep, that way you can get them push them out further, without jamming them.
We where getting aroung 2850+ velocities. the only draw back to that is now you are jumping your mag length bullets.
some rifle will shoot them good others will just shoot them.

the barrel length 20" was a standard service rifle, the only draw back to it was the amount of pressure the rounds where created.
some of the signs where a bit to hot, for comfort. Also the accuracy from the 80's where greater.
I would personally recomened the 90's for bolt guns, but then again some gas guns will shoot bug holes with them.

barrel for palma of course 30''+
guys are pushing 90gr's at 2850 speed; most of them. but this is quite hot. expect to have brass for max 5 firings at this speed! lower speed is maybe ~2750.
brass Lapua
powder Vihtavuori N140, Reload Swiss 50. Reload Swiss 52 or varget, H4895...
primer murom SRM, S&B, CCI 450M, maybe federal GM205M-AR. CCI BR4 maybe wont work. avoid soft cups like federal, cci400...

Pushing 90gr at 2700 plus fps out of a 5.56 barrel raises some question about over pressure or premature barrel wear. I have never tried it and am considering trying it for palma. I’m sure Lapua brass can handle it. Any recommendations of what powder, primer, brass and barrel length?
This thread is 12 years old.
Check dates when doing searches.

yes, but he also asked for palma load.
1673096129113.png

White Oak just released their monthly newsletter, and they about this. And I agree with them. summary: Its too much work on a "600 yard" course, to make 90 gr work in an AR platform, versus various 80 grain loads...such as berger 80.5, or Sierra/Nosler 80 grain match. There are no real gains at this yardage, that are worth it... However, if you are on a 1000 yard course with an AR, then the 90 grain work (chamber, etc) will be worth it.

Reactions: LOF