• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

A Beanland build in my future....

K_4c

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    So, I spoke with Jon on the phone a couple days ago (great guy to talk to) and voiced my build idea. In a perfect world, I would be able to find a surgeon 591R action, but they have become the unicorn of actions. So, I started looking at BHT (Bighorn Tactical TL2 R/H S/A) cut for AW mags and with a thin rear tang (to me the oversize tang is an eye sore, however, if someone was to actually give real data that the thick tang increases accuracy I may rethink my decision). I then proceeded to tell him I would provide a McMillan A5 adj (Gap camo), Krieger #10 MTU .264 1-8.5 5R SS finished at "24 in .260 rem (chambered for 140 class projectiles/no neck turning required) and surgeon bottom metal. I think I'm going with a the timney trigger (refer to link). Timney Rifle Trigger Remington 700 7 40X Flat Safety 1-1/2 lb to 4 lb

So, how's it sound gents? Should I reconsider any of my listed components? I'm ready to pull the trigger on the said parts....

BJ at Third Gen has some Big Horn T2's w/ AW cut in stock and he and Jon are good friends and only about 2hrs apart. Have BJ ship the action direct to Jon. By the looks of your avatar, you already know what Jon's work is like. Just waiting on a Deviant and Manners, so he can get started on my 3rd build.

Bighorn Actions

Last edited:
    ^ Thanks for the heads up sir. I'm actually ordering everything from BJ! I seen that he has actions instock, but I'm curious if they're with the thin tang rather then the thick tang? One last call to Jon and I should be set.

Can anybody who has first hand experience with both said actions please voice their opinion?

R.Walters, I hear ya man, but I can't be without a new comp rifle for an undetermined time. I have a badger M2008 as a back up precision rifle but I've seen the greener side with 6.5 calibers (hence the reason why I want this build to work and work with no regrets).

Side note, is the 20 moa base that comes with BHT action low quality? I've heard a few people say they replaced it right away with a Murphy or badger...

While I love Surgeons and ran one for years, they WERE the standered but IMHO not anymore. I think you would be just as happy, and I bet more happy with the Bighorn. Super smooth bolt operation and great extraction. If your stuck on integral everything, go with the Deviant from Defiance.

Only thing I would change is not going such a heavy contour. The MTU is VERY heavy. I would de Heavy Palma as the largest and probably even Med Palma. Save over 2 lbs right there. The MTU is a truck axel.

Also, the thicker tang will help accuracy. May look odd, but the added beef will help flex in the action.

As mentioned above, you will give up nothing to a Surgeon by going with the Bighorn. I am saving right now for my second one and know several people who own one, and they all say it is the most accurate action they own. ALSO, not one has replaced the 20 MOA base. It is very beefy as well with the larger 8-40 screws. Don't know why one would replace it.

Good luck, looks like you got a winning combo.
    DT

You may have to have the Surgeon bottom metal milled to accept the flat Timney trigger. I had one and it bumped the inside of the trigger guard and it simply wouldn't work. I do love the trigger so I ended up with that barrelled action in a Manners mini-chassis.

You may have to have the Surgeon bottom metal milled to accept the flat Timney trigger. I had one and it bumped the inside of the trigger guard and it simply wouldn't work. I do love the trigger so I ended up with that barrelled action in a Manners mini-chassis.

interesting.... you have any other trigger recommendations that would drop in? I'm not to keen on surprise $charges$ (Jon having to mill my new dbm to make a $130 trigger work doesn't make since)...

Jon just buit me a 7-08 with the surgeon DBM and a timney trigger.. I'm not sure what extra he had to do, but there was no extra charge, I don't think...

Attachments

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      94.6 KB · Views: 30
    Last edited:
    Jon finished my 260 a month or so ago, and I'm blown away. I thought I'd bore sight it and break it in with a box of Rem core lokts (140gr). I went with a Krieger 8.5tw, MTU, and kept it in it's HSP stock. It's like my BR guns so far. The 1st 4 shots at 100 went into a .081" group. Yes with factory ammo. He will be building my 243 very soon, unless he talks me into a 6.5x47. I will post some groups at distance in the future. As for a Smith, I consider him one of the TOP! He's the only guy that's gonna touch your gun. I have several 6mm/6BR/PPc's etc. that I shot for about 10 yrs and got a bad case of (Too much arse on bench syndrome) and have been shooting LR for about 3 years now, and Jon is the only Smith that will touch my gun. If I couldn't get Jon, I'd go GA Precision/ Greg @ Bugholes, Spartan, Phoenix, SAC. Jon takes his time and does it perfect.

Sounds like a great plan to me

I have three rifles built by Jon on Bighorns
    He has the parts for two more rifles with Bighorns at his shop now and will be building me another by years end

Honestly, I think the combo of Beanland and Bighorn is hard to beat, but that's my opinion

I will say Jon strives for perfection unlike any other I've dealt with

True the MTU is big. But if your not gonna carry it all day, and do alot of BR and prone shooting, the weight comes in handy. When I shot my 1st group, my 243 felt stout on recoil, and I haven't even put on my M41 Severe Duty Brake on yet. I can see impact now, but I like em heavy. BTW the 8.5 will shoot the 140's extremely well. I was nervous about the 8.5 but Jon assured me I'd be fine, and I'm glad I did. I'm getting 2860fps from a 24" Krieger 260 with 139 Scenars, and not loading at 100%. No pressure problems, and that's with H4350, and my bud's are shooting RE17 with 26"ers at 2820fps

Only thing I would change is not going such a heavy contour. The MTU is VERY heavy. I would de Heavy Palma as the largest and probably even Med Palma. Save over 2 lbs right there. The MTU is a truck axel.

Also, the thicker tang will help accuracy. May look odd, but the added beef will help flex in the action.

As mentioned above, you will give up nothing to a Surgeon by going with the Bighorn. I am saving right now for my second one and know several people who own one, and they all say it is the most accurate action they own. ALSO, not one has replaced the 20 MOA base. It is very beefy as well with the larger 8-40 screws. Don't know why one would replace it.

Good luck, looks like you got a winning combo.
    DT

I'm one of the guys D_TROS knows, we shoot local steel matches together. My Bighorn chambered by Jon in 6x47 is the most accurate rifle I've owned.

I too would suggest a lighter contour barrel, Heavy Palma or Medium Palma. It's interesting to see shooters around me who chamber their first rifle with a heavy contour barrels, their next barrel is usually a lighter contour. My 1st rifle I had built, trued R700/Kreiger 26" Heavy Varmint barrel, I regret going that heavy, it was a pig.

I don't know why one would replace the Bighorn scope base either.

AJ Goddard and Jon Beanland , two first class guys to deal with, no doubt a winning combo! Have fun with your build.

Last edited:
    Thanks for all your advice guys. I spoke with Jon again today to firm things up (build plans). The only thing holding me up right now is the action (I'm going to stick with the MTU barrel, I feel the weight helps tame recoil and adds to my shooting style and how I stabilize the rifle in alternate firing positions). Jon explained that the heavy rear tang is beneficial for you guys running chassis and not bedding them. As I stated, I will be running an A5 bedded. The stress on the rear tang will not be an issue on my build.

I'm going to shoot AJ a call tomorrow and see what he can do for me... if anything, I'll have Jon order it for me if AJ won't sell to private buyers.

Side note: BJ at third generation shooting supply is also a great guy to deal with guys. He was very easy to talk to and knowledgable.

I'll post my final build sheet when I order all the components.

Tyler, thanks for the heads up regarding the trigger.

Update: I called AJ at bighorn tactical regarding the TL2... I asked if I purchased a TL2 and sent it back to him, could the rear tang be trimmed down (no protruding tang when assembled). Being the stellar guy he is, he replied "yes, I can do that for you". After talking to both him and Jon regarding the thick rear tang, I won't be losing any performance as the rear tang was intended for end users utilizing a chassis system.

Parts will be on order this week/weekend.... and then the wait begins. At least it's not like I'm waiting on a class III item (that sucks).

Thanks again to all who voiced their opinion.

Last edited:
    Frankly..... I'd bet that ANY of the good Custom actions would be a good choice. You certainly picked a nice one. Happy it's going to work out for You.

I'm still on the Defiance "wait list". LOL.

Jon built me a 260 using the Bighorn and a Krieger Med. Palma and a McMillian A-5. I use it for tactical competitions. It averages about .375 MOA for five shot groups. For a relatively light barrel it shoots very well. I am completely satisfied with the rifle and Jon's work. Jon does not like 5 groove rifleing, I would ask him about that. He is about to start on my second build which will be essentially the same as the first. In my opinion you cannot deal with a nicer guy or a better 'smith.

I have asked this of Jon before. He told me that he has not seen an appreciable difference between 4 and 5r. Also, when reaming the throat, that with a traditional 4 blade reamer on 5r rifling, the blades are not evenly supported with an off set land and affords the possibility for the reamer to chatter. Where as with 4groove, and a 4 blade reamer, the reamer is evenly supported. Otherwise you have to have two separate reamers for each caliber with 4 and 5 cutters and having two of everything just doesn't make sense.

per Jon per the 5R barrel I'm going to run:

"Keye. That barrel will be fine. I like chambering 4 groove barrels better. I can make that 5r work just fine. Accuracy will b just as good. Don't let everybody worry you to much. I would shoot a 5r in a minute but if j had a choice it would be a 4. Just from a machining standpoint.

Jon"