• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sidearms & Scatterguns A Benchmade?

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Im sending my regular knife off to get a little love at its place of manufacture after 15 years of use.

Thinking of buying either a Benchmade Stimulus or a 530/531 to fill the void in its absence.

Anyone have any time using either? How does the black coating hold up on the blades if I choose that finish?

Any other options to consider as a temp fill in that wont break the bank?

Are automatic knives not worth the hassle considering a myriad of state laws should I ever carry it out of state or forget its in luggage at the airport?

Thank you....

http://www.benchmade.com/stimulus-family.html

http://www.benchmade.com/530-531-family.html

I don't think you can go wrong with a Benchmade.

But I'll throw out an option for you that's not an auto. Emerson. Look up videos on the "wave" feature. Some people don't like the wave since they have to reposition the hand after drawing but with a little practice, it's no issues for me.

I have a 3550 Pardue. It's an excellent knife for EDC for business dress. It's both slim and light. The autos are fun but you need to know the laws applicable not only from state but also from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The Stimulus has a safety which should be used and it's use makes deployment slower than an assisted opener. I have three Benchmade auto models w/o safety and they have all opened in a pocket.

My preference is a Kershaw ZT. The Benchmades you looked are both slim and light so this would be my suggestion http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...ery-Day-Carry-(EDC)/prod99999030357/cat129200.
    http://www.bladehq.com/item--Zero-Tolerance-0770-Knife-Aluminum--15193
    About an ounce heavier and a little more bulky but an absolute screamin' deal

Can't go wrong with Benchmade. The Axis locking mechanism has no peer, IMHO. As far as the black coating, I probably wouldn't recommend it if the knife is for daily carry and moderate to heavy use. It will definitely scratch and/or wear. I EDC a mini Grip with the black coating and it definitely shows significant signs of use, both scratches and it's worn through on the edges and where the bevel meets the flat parts of the blade. If you're prepared for and okay with that then go for it but just know the black finish will definitely not hold up as well as the satin SS. The other thing about the black coating is that it tends to be a little "sticky", it's definitely not as slick as their uncoated SS blades.

Last edited:
    Benchmade makes a damn fine blade. If you like the dagger profile blades, you should check out the Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn folder; it has a serrated edge which is better for cutting through cordage in my opinion, and probably a little cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry a Benchmade Mini Stryker 904 and really like it. I have the 707 Sequel and that is back at Benchmade for their "lifesharp" service. Free tuneup and sharpening. Both of these knives carry well in dress pants and jeans. The Axis lock is super smooth for fast deployment.

In the end I am not an expert. I know that Benchmade makes a great knife and It is part of my daily attire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Excellent helpful responses. Thank you.

This is going to be a secondary knife. My current knife to carry is a William Henry my than girlfriend/now wife gave me about 15 years ago after the security guys at Fenway Park had me give up my pocket Kershaw before I could enter the park. The William Henry is not one of their typical "gentlemans (i.e. girl's) knife" options more a utility skeleton stainless frame, wood scales, and nice useful 3.5 inch drop point that holds a great edge. It needs to go back to get a frame screw replaced, tighten up the scales and maybe add a blue gemstone thumb stud to bling up a favorite companion tool.

I think Ill avoid the auto feature not wanting to have it open into my nutsack inadvertently. Id also have to face the looks of those around me asking "Hey why do you get to have an auto knife but we cant?" I agree with their feelings and LEO is not a good enough reason I should get it and they cant. My current knife is plenty easy one handed operating with just a thumb stud.

Ill go with the 530 and it will come in under $100. Long wearing, easy cleaning, easy to care for satin finish is fine by me. I want the thinner handle which means Im stuck with the spear point rather than the drop. It will be nice to have another blade style and I think Im careful enough with my tools I wont snap off that tip of the knife.

I was liking that Emerson A100 though. Seems just a bit too much knife for a stealthy pocket carry.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Last edited:
    Weird when I actually ordered my desire became a 531 - plain blade, satin finish (no black), with G10 scales. So much for leaving my comfort zone and trying something different.

I just like the utility of a drop point I guess and a knife with a spine will allow me to beat some firestarter shavings if the need arises when this becomes a secondary tool lost in a pack somewhere.

Last edited:
    Benchmades are great, especially the axis lock ones are my favorites. So far, my most used and carried are a well used 707 Sequel for at work every day and either my 940-1 or 484-1 Nakamura for general edc. I do love their M390 steel though, its one of the best...I picked up a Ritter RSK and a mini RSK Mk 1 in M390 (basically factory custom style griptilians) and they are awesome for the sale price I got them at.

For large beefy knives, The 275 Adamas and 810 Contego are great.

Last edited:
    The Benchmade 707 Sequel is a smaller blade but a McHenry William design. Has the name on the blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

William Henry is a different animal. Some ten years or so ago they used to make some serviceable knives. I see how they beat off now when someone from Hollywood is seen wearing or carrying their shit.

This is their site it will give you an idea.....

http://www.williamhenry.com/

My William Henry is nice but way more utility than the present stuff. Im not a knife collector. Im a knife user.

Ill post some pics of my WH working knife when I can compare it next to the in route Benchmade 531.

New knife is in. It is a bit smaller than my current tool but it will compare favorably enough until I get mine back....

The new knife is really light using G10 as the frame structure. Definitely doesn't feel as solid as my current stainless steel frame knife. Still I'm sure it would survive most shit I do.

I really like how my current knife carries in its own little holster. Other clip knives I had would wear out the item of clothing where the clip attaches from the frequent in and out. With the holster the clip goes on once in the morning than out at the end of the day. The knife may get more use than that though. Ill be getting a new holster on my knife refurb.

Thanks for the help Hiders.

I've got seven Benchmades. While I like the knives, especially the steel in their higher end models, I am less than impressed with their warranty and service. I had an automatic pop out of my pocket while in a climbing harness. It fell about 90 feet to a concrete floor and bent one of the scales just enough it wouldn't open automatically but would open with a firm tug. Sent it in to Benchmade and even offered to pay and they just plain rejected it. Had another of the same model that got a bit hot, 400 degrees to be exact. Melted the plastic spacer which kind of dribbled out but it still worked fine. They wouldn't replace the liner stating the metallurgy could have been affected well bullshit, 400 wont affect aluminum or steel, if it did you wouldn't be cooking with either.

Considering in years past I've sent beat to shit Buck Folding Hunters back and had them come back completely refurbished for free, I'm not impressed by Benchmades service.

Bucks aren't glamorous to fanboy types. Benchmades are, and they come to the conclusion, I think, that they can keep the lights on with enough OCD collectors and impressionable teenagers.

ive got a few autos....benchmade are among my favorite "budget" autos....take a decent edge and VERY solid lockup.

ive stopped carrying anything fancy when it comes to blades though.......most of my carry blades are well under $100....i use knives for cutting maybe 30% of the time.....and use them for prying, poking, prodding the remainder of the time.......i dont really want to carry anything im going to be upset if i damage.

usually its a buck 110 or a gerber applegate covert

The new Benchmade knife is working out fine. Havent done much but open boxes or letters with it. I open it it cuts, cant really ask for more.

One thing I do wish is that it carried point down like my William Henry. I like to grab the knife from my pocket by the opening stud and I can just kind of fling the handle to initiate and complete the opening.

Just a matter of its what Im used to from carrying the other knife for fifteen years. Hoping I get my regular knife back soon.