• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

A different 40X question

dlc356

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2006
B'ham, Alabama
Anybody know what these holes are for?

IMG_1292.jpg

You can see there's a screw in each. The barrel is floated, I ran a dollar under the barrel all the way to the receiver. So I know they aren't touching.
IMG_1293.jpg

Thoughts?

Re: A different 40X question

Thanks Pat,

I'm going to shoot it and see how she does. I just got my SS back from Bushnell (they couldn't fix it so I got a new one
laugh.gif
). I've got some stuff to do tomorrow but hopefully can make it to the range by the afternoon.

Dave

As MTGOAT said it is for tensioning the barrel. First try sliding a dollar bill between the forearm ,to be sure it is clear. You can experiment with tensioning ....but conventinal wisdom shows that you have better results floating the barrel.45/70SS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4570sharpshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As MTGOAT said it is for tensioning the barrel. First try sliding a dollar bill between the forearm ,to be sure it is clear. You can experiment with tensioning ....but conventinal wisdom shows that you have better results floating the barrel.45/70SS </div></div>

Those that can shoot the danged things well enough to tell the difference may disagree but they also put big bulbous tuners on their barrels as well. A one hole group is a one hole group but they are always try to get it smaller
grin.gif
For those of us that are "average" or slightly above do well enough with the free floated barrels....as can be seen from the groups posted from the CMP 40X's recently...pretty danged good.

Pat

LOL. At the tender age of 13 I asked the coach of my club (who also loaned me the 40X) what they were for. He said yeah, I know what they're for, leave them the hell alone!