A Unique Winchester 52D

Budrichard

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
This 52D, the anecdotal story goes is one of two to come out of USRAC.
Story is the action was meant for ammunition testing as the front holes where a globe front would go are not there.
A Hart marked 1.25” stainless barrel is properly USRAC roll marked.
The rifle plus scope ends up being VERY HEAVY!
Contacted Don Pind, USRAC Custom Shop Manager at the time by phone and he has no recollection of the rifle.
The rifle appeared to never have been fired when I received it.
The bolt is engine tuned and the stock rollover cheek piece is removable for bolt removal.
Bolt insertion with ammunition indicates a very tight match chamber.
Finally ended up mounting an EGW Al rail as a steel version was nowhere to be found.
Initially could not remove the plug screws but a firm rap with a mallet and they easily came out.
Installed the EGW mount with the two screws, scope rings and Leupold BR36 scope and we were in business.
I had this scope I found NIB a year ago or so and was waiting for an application where it would match the rifle.
CMP ELEY was used for sighting in and testing.
The trigger is 1#2.4oz and has no creep and no over travel I can detect. Just perfect!
50 yd Matches coming up with IBS 50 yd target.
I will use ELEY TENEX.
The BR36 I have, does not have the target dot and the vertical cross hair is sometimes hard to acquire but I did shoot a practice round yesterday that shows the combination does have potential.
Since the real test is how does it shoot, a 50 yd 10 shot group proved the potential of the rifle.
If the rifle didn’t shoot, all I would have is a conversation piece and an expensive one at that.
More to come was we go through the series of matches.
-Richard
IMG_6728.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6737.jpeg
    IMG_6737.jpeg
    321 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6741.jpeg
    IMG_6741.jpeg
    530.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6740.jpeg
    IMG_6740.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 42