? about using mils for hold over

gm5226

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2003
mid.TN.
i'm going to get to shoot at 1k+ tommorow and i don't think i understand using my mil dots for hold over,i don't have enough adjustment in my scope on the 308 to go to 1k.i guess what i need to know is what does one mil = at1k yds in moa if its 3.43 at 100 would it be 34.3moa at 1000?

Re: ? about using mils for hold over

U would b absolutely correct. But for the next time I would recommend some angled rings wich will actually add MOA to your scope by angling it downwards. Probably 20moa rings would b about right. Good luck. That's a long range if you haven't practiced it much.

Mil (or milliradian) and MOA (or Minute of Angle) are both angular measurements. So they are constant in their relationship to each other. .1 mil = .34 MOA at 100 yds. or 1000 yds or 10,000 yds.

However that value on target in inches changes in direct proportion to the distance:

.1 mil = .34 MOA = .36 inches at 100 yds.
.1 mil = .34 MOA = 3.6 (.36 x 10) inches at 1000 (100 x 10) yds.

Make sense?

John

Some serious horsepower in here tonight.

Good luck with that hold, but when you're figuring your hold that 1mil equally 34MOA isn't gonna work.

It's only adding that 3.43 at the rifle which is what you need to know. Most 308s use about 11 mils to reach a grand, your average MOA that far is around 38, so if you believe 1 mil is 34 youre not gonna make it, your bullet will go skidding across the range around 300/400 yards if you hold a mil expecting it to be 34MOA.

It's an Angle so it's not compounded that way, you don't figure 3.43 X 10,

Keep it simple, every 1/4 mil is 1MOA at the scope just like dialing 1 MOA not compounded. So 1 full mil is 4 MOA on the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some serious horsepower in here tonight. </div></div>

It's not that late, but it feels like it.
wink.gif
OP, listen to Frank. He's done this a couple times now...

John

Yea. Sorry about that post. A few problems when I said he was absolutely correct I was wrong. He was right if he said inches not MOA. Stupid mistake. As for the rings I dident really mean the rings themselves I meant the base they sit on. Sorry about that.

well everything went real good today,using a combo of dialing all the up i had plus the hold over it was no problem hitting the gong at 1000.thanks for the info it helped a bunch