• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Accuracy AW 300 for hunting?

bob7-08

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2010
EU
Hi,
I'm looking for my next rifle i will use for steel target beyond 900 meters and for boar and mountain goat hunting.
first i look at DTA,it looks an amazing rifle but if i have an issue with the rifle i don't know if i could have aftermarket service as easily as with an european rifle.
that's why i ask if someone hunt with an AW?
i try one at the range but don't know how it will be to carry it in the field?
the caliber will be 300 wm or 7rm .
thank you

Re: Accuracy AW 300 for hunting?

I use a TAB Biathlon sling for carrying my AI AW (308 win) when long trecks are in store. Makes carrying a heavy rifle pretty easy. If your hunting with it, the biathlon sling or a Eberlestock pack are the way to go.

The AW is an incredible rifle in every respect from my experience, but for a hunting rifle...especially one I would be hauling up and down mountainsides when hunting purely for sport/pleasure, I would look elsewhere!

The problem is basically the weight which on the 300WM AIAW is just shy of 15lbs (6.8kg) without mag, ammo, optics/mount, etc. Tack on all the bells and whistles and you are quickly approaching an 18lb+ rifle which isn't what I would call and ideal "mountain rifle" for goat-getting by any means.

If you do decide on the AIAW, then the biathlon type slings or something like an Eberlestock or similar pack equipped to carry a heavy-duty rifle would be a must in my mind.

thank you for these answers ,
the rifle i use the most for hunting is 6.2 kg with w/o cartridge and carry it in a GS 2.
i know an AW is not the best hunting rifle but i wish someone use it for hunting to show me it's possible!
as i want to use my rifle for both hunting and shooting steel i will maybe look in an other way.
i'm sad because i could buy this rifle for a good price..

I use mine for everything. Yes its heavier than some, but if you want to use the same weapon for both steel and hunting then I think it would be fine. Carrying a load with the biathlon sling is easy or a descent pack so you can store the weapon and supplies. I have seen more people carry 15-20lbs of gucci gear, food and accessories for the just in case and not complain. I find once its on the back like a back pack its done from there. So if you have found one at a good price I would suggest grabbing it no matter what, it can always be useful. Now on the other hand, there are some much lighter weapons designed for hunting that I would look at as well for that application but they are not the target guns. The Steyr SBS Prohunter and Tikka T3's for this are light, extremely accurate, simple yet very durable. I have built a many of these in both the .300WM and 7RM for hunting rigs and for 3 rounds in under an inch even at 200yds with quality ammo is not uncommon. Just my honest opinion and hope this helps, best wishes.

Understand I dont own an AI but I carry a 16-18 pound gun hunting all over Wyoming backpack hunting and with a good sling setup and a little preplanning with your gear setup I think youll be just fine. There are lighter rifles, and gear in general but truth be told, if we lost 5 pounds it would make up for the heavy rifle. Have fun hunting and follow your dreams!

Justin

Edit- Stacey covered all I said, and when I order my first AI he'll be seeing me in hos store. Likely, he will be seeing me there a few times before!