• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Accuracy International - Alternative Barrel Clamp Torque Specs?

HKSniper11B

H&K PRS Enthusiast
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2022
Northeast, USA
www.instagram.com
Was talking to a friend who has many more years experience than I with the Accuracy International AT308, and he and his department run Hornady TAP ELD Precision 168gr exclusively as a SWAT Sniper. While I've had a hard time getting this ammo to group tightly despite its superior ballistics on paper, he and his guys are getting notably better accuracy and precision with it, from the Lothar-Walther 1:12 20/24 inch barrel. The difference is, I'm torqued to 49 inch/lbs, while he and his guys are at 55 inch lbs, so 6 in/lbs over factory spec.

Is this common? Have folks here played with different torque specs for the barrel clamp screw? And, what grease if any are you guys putting on your barrel threads before screwing and clamping it in?

Last edited:
There has been some documentation of this here, some guys have found that they have better return to zero when spinning a barrel back on using different torque values. Not unheard of

This is the only other thread I found so far. Still searching for older threads on the topic.

This is the only other thread I found so far. Still searching for older threads on the topic.

I think this is @Huskydriver ’s favorite topic

I read this thread as well, although it doesn't share much other than stating the factory spec of 49 inch/lbs.
You ll find that what works for one gun/barrel/ammo combination might not work for another.

Which Grease/anti seize is being used is not the issue.

I would suggest you do your own testing with different tq values and create your own superstitions, and then stick to them.

Keep the shoulders/face clean and be as repeatable as possible everywhere you can.

Reactions: Huskydriver
I do this, only at 60in/lbs.

Reactions: Nik H
I did a bunch of searching a while back and ended up on 55 inch lbs on mine. There were threads of people having barrels loosen at 49 or be inconsistent. The last bit seemed to help

samb300 had a theory that epoxy they use to glue the action to the chassis was getting inside the “ears” of the clamp and affecting torque

Mine I snug with a small barrel wrench I have on the flats or a small crescent wrench. Do it’s just past hand tight where’s it’s still easy to loosen with the wrench. Then torque to 55 no lube

Here’s an AXMC thread with some AT/AX info

AXSR w/ all factory AI barrels:

I put a small bit of anti seize on the barrel threads, hand tight, then a lil “Hmmf” with a wrench. Pop on a 55in/lb fix it stick limiter and get to work.

No issues with backing off, accuracy problems, or anything like that. Did the same thing at 49in/lb when I first got it but never had issues there either.

Test it for yourself and see what works.

Best of luck!
🍻

Yeah, afaik you’re not even supposed to remove that QC bolt due to losing a washer in-between the action and chassis (or something like that).
What you should not do is torquing the bolt on without a barrel.

Bolt heads get worn/round over time and you replace em as if its any other bolt. Ive replaced some of mine a few times already.

The washer is just sitting there. You lose it just get another from mcmaster/ace ect

What you should not do is torquing the bolt on without a barrel.

Bolt heads get worn/round over time and you replace em as if its any other bolt. Ive replaced some of mine a few times already.

The washer is just sitting there. You lose it just get another from mcmaster/ace ect
I’m definitely not torquing a bolt without a barrel installed. Who is doing that?

I suppose if the hex head is messed up, then yeah, you must replace the bolt. AI itself says to not remove that bolt, apparently due to the washer issue.
1726168641445.png

But hey, if you’ve fixed this issue yourself, more power to you.

Still not sure how that other fellow thought people were greasing the QC screw. Maybe he mixed it up with greasing the barrel tenon?

I’m definitely not torquing a bolt without a barrel installed. Who is doing that?

I suppose if the hex head is messed up, then yeah, you must replace the bolt. AI itself says to not remove that bolt, apparently due to the washer issue.
View attachment 8500177

But hey, if you’ve fixed this issue yourself, more power to you.

Still not sure how that other fellow thought people were greasing the QC screw. Maybe he mixed it up with greasing the barrel tenon?
Probably on there so you dont lose the bolt on the field.

As far as user level maintenance i called MH years ago and they sent me a baggie of the spec metric bolts to replace and keep spares.

Yeah, afaik you’re not even supposed to remove that QC bolt due to losing a washer in-between the action and chassis (or something like that).
I dunno what he meant about a wet torque butttt the cool thing about the non-bonded AIs is that you can tear it all down and go get a full bag of spare parts from Ace.

I like to challenge myself by taking all of the bolts out of my rifle, putting them into one bag, shake it up, and then putting it back together. The last time I did this I was almost able to get it back together without leftover bolts 😂

Yes, it was a misunderstanding on my end. I thought op was asking about using anti-seize grease on both The barrel threads and QC bolt. I've personally removed the QC bolt without issue, and I've tried both 49 & 55 in lbs and didn't notice a difference on my AXMC. I also raw dog it and run dry myself.

I think this is @Huskydriver ’s favorite topic

So I tested it all the way up to like 80 or 90inlbs iirm...

I didn't notice groups really changing much unless at 49... Mine wasn't a fan . What I did see was if I hand torqued on my barrel with a type 2 ugga bugga and did a 55inlb or over, my rtz was dead on everytime

Wtf is putting antiseize on and the barrel and why lol? You are not torquing it on at hk 200ft lbs.....

anti_seize_meme_fullsize.jpg

Last edited:
I do this, only at 60in/lbs.

62 in/lbs for me

Reactions: carbonbased
Sounds like a 55 in/lbs Fix-It Stick is gonna get ordered now. Glad I got more confirmation of what works and what doesn't, which is going to save me a lot of time and money testing minute torque differences.

Called Mile High today and asked about if they use any kind lithium grease or anti-seize on the barrel threads. They explicitly said no, as any and all of that can get in the H cutout at the bottom of the action receiver where that screw tightens things down around the barrel, and it's essentially impossible to properly clean in the AT308.

I've opted for a small simple drop of gun grease, same I use on my lugs, and run it with that once and only once. Will go dry moving forward should I break the barrel off again.

Still, I find it interesting that from 55-80+ in/lbs, no change. But from 49 changed up to 55, there's accuracy differences. Makes me wonder how they originally came up with 49 in the first place.

Sounds like a 55 in/lbs Fix-It Stick is gonna get ordered now. Glad I got more confirmation of what works and what doesn't, which is going to save me a lot of time and money testing minute torque differences.

Called Mile High today and asked about if they use any kind lithium grease or anti-seize on the barrel threads. They explicitly said no, as any and all of that can get in the H cutout at the bottom of the action receiver where that screw tightens things down around the barrel, and it's essentially impossible to properly clean in the AT308.

I've opted for a small simple drop of gun grease, same I use on my lugs, and run it with that once and only once. Will go dry moving forward should I break the barrel off again.

Still, I find it interesting that from 55-80+ in/lbs, no change. But from 49 changed up to 55, there's accuracy differences. Makes me wonder how they originally came up with 49 in the first place.

So I'm saying 49 then go to 55 but I don't pay to calibrate my wrench.... It very well could be 45 and 51... Regardless you gotta test it yourself with the tool you have.

Ymmv

I use a drop of CLP, and my calibrated forearm regarding the correct amount of torque on my AT-X. If anything, I'm over 49in/lbs.

So far, I have seen no difference in group sizes between barrel swaps...but MAYBE I see .2 - .3 shift when I pull the barrel, clean, and reinstall. It takes two shots to re-zero and then I'm back to normal. I don't consider that a handicap.

Reactions: xxflyingturtlexx
60inlbs for the SA, 70 for magnum.

It’s also important to make sure the action face and barrel shoulder and completely free of debris. Seating the barrel a little more than snug with the muzzle straight up using a wrench on the flats is also beneficial.

This is the process I always used for best accuracy and zero POI shift.

I remember @samb300 had a theory about why some guns would shoot fine at 49 in lbs and others wouldn't. He suspected that epoxy would get into the QC area, essentially gluing the lugs to the chassis (requiring more torque to move them). Now that the AXSR (not bonded) has been out for longer perhaps he has a better understanding if this theory is correct.

I also never used anti-seize or lube, because I figured it would attract debris.

I remember @samb300 had a theory about why some guns would shoot fine at 49 in lbs and others wouldn't. He suspected that epoxy would get into the QC area, essentially gluing the lugs to the chassis (requiring more torque to move them). Now that the AXSR has been out for longer perhaps he has a butter understanding if this theory is correct.

I also never used anti-seize or lube, because I figured it would attract debris.

For an AT308, this would be an interesting theory as to why.

I remember @samb300 had a theory about why some guns would shoot fine at 49 in lbs and others wouldn't. He suspected that epoxy would get into the QC area, essentially gluing the lugs to the chassis (requiring more torque to move them). Now that the AXSR (not bonded) has been out for longer perhaps he has a better understanding if this theory is correct.

I've seen some pictures of de-bonded short action rifles that had epoxy on the wing(s) of the barrel tenon clamp. My theory is that if one of those wings were bonded to the chassis and essentially immovable, the torque needed would increase since only one half would be moving to clamp on the tenon.

With bonded rifles it's not really feasible to de-bond it just to see if that area has too much epoxy lol

If certain atxs or axsrs shot better with higher torque then that would be something else.

FYI depending on the grade of the bolt, an M5x.8 would exceed max recommended torque around 55 in-lb so I think going to like 70 in-lb would just be stretching the bolt and not even torquing it beyond 55 in-lb

I dunno what he meant about a wet torque butttt the cool thing about the non-bonded AIs is that you can tear it all down and go get a full bag of spare parts from Ace.

I like to challenge myself by taking all of the bolts out of my rifle, putting them into one bag, shake it up, and then putting it back together. The last time I did this I was almost able to get it back together without leftover bolts 😂
That is called autism

So I'm saying 49 then go to 55 but I don't pay to calibrate my wrench.... It very well could be 45 and 51... Regardless you gotta test it yourself with the tool you have.

Ymmv
Just get a snap on digital wrench already peasant the amount of finger f’ing you do with your guns 😂

I snug with a small barrel wrench I have on the flats or a small crescent wrench. Do it’s just past hand tight where’s it’s still easy to loosen with the wrench. Then torque to 55 no lube
Yes I do this with a small adjustable on barrel flats or tbac brake. Then 68 pounds