Accuracy International AX 308 - FIRST LOOK

EuroOptic Ltd.

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Montoursville, PA
www.eurooptic.com
Here she is sitting by a 20" TRG folder and a 20" AE MKII Folder...very nice.

AX.jpg

Re: Accuracy International AX 308 - FIRST LOOK

Interesting. Does it look like there are any changes to the actual action....or is this just more a stock update?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting. Does it look like there are any changes to the actual action....or is this just more a stock update? </div></div>

I'm curious about this also. I'm sure there are various changes than to just the stock.

Between the two I like prefer the looks of the MKII but the rail system does allow you to utilize NV and lasers/IR illumination better.

Let's hear about the new features. Aesthetically, I'm a fan of the muzzle shroud but not so much of the plastic/polymer furniture. But it is AI, so it's not half as dinky as it looks. Is that a thread protector on the end of the muzzle brake?

aesthetics!? ROFL.

how does it shoot?
you can get a 1/4MOA custom made rifle for $3000 or less, why would you pay $8000.

rifle range jewelry.

That is certainly different. I think I am a fan of the older style, but I would like to know more. I might could be persuaded to like it. It looks intriquing, although that price is a little steep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: penumbra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">aesthetics!? ROFL.

how does it shoot?
you can get a 1/4MOA custom made rifle for $3000 or less, why would you pay $8000.

rifle range jewelry. </div></div>

Excuse me for not being a fan of ugly guns. And yes, you can get a quarter MOA rifle for 3k or less but AI guns are quarter MOA and you could run them over with a tank. Precision costs money, precision AND ruggedness cost a lot more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$8000 for that??? I just don't see it </div></div>

Two GAP's or that contraption which looks like the sprayer for a power washer. Hmmm....

Who makes a guaranteed 1/4MOA gun for less than 3k? I'm assuming it's not with factory ammo but handloads - right?

I've not seen anywhere on AI's site that says they are 1/4MOA, all I've seen is 1/2MOA - unless things have changed recently.

I wonder what the balance on that rifle is? How well can it be shot off hand without the benefit of resting the forend on something solid. 14lbs, before rings, optics, ammo - if you're happy with prone or bench then great, but hardly worth spending 8K for (clearly civvie use only is being considered).

I'd rather spend the money on a guaranteed 1/4MOA with FGMM Alpha-66 in .300 or .338LM, get Premier 5-25X56 GEN2XR, AmericanRifles rings and then have about $300 left over for ammo...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charlie_Foxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Precision costs money, precision AND ruggedness cost a lot more. </div></div>

Common AI myth, that reliability and accuracy are exclusive to AI.

Case in point

Just b/c AI's are kick ass rifles, doesn't mean that they have sole ownership of reliability and accuracy. But hey, if it helps you justify letting the Brits get all up in that ass, I'll believe it too...

They're charging what they want, b/c they know you'll pay it, nothing more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'd rather spend the money on a guaranteed 1/4MOA with FGMM Alpha-66 in .300 or .338LM, get Premier 5-25X56 GEN2XR, AmericanRifles rings and then have about $300 left over for ammo...</div></div>

dang right you are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is a '95 AIAW, I preformed their drop test, bouncing it off the butt pad a few times to show a buddy then this was the result

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

AIAW fixed it so I have no complaints

</div></div>

Wha wha WHAT?!?!!? The infallible has falled!!!
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O3ZOKDmorj0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O3ZOKDmorj0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I am an AI fan but the Sako TRG 22 is looking better every day. I am glad Alex is offering both because he is a great guy to do business with.

I have to say that this new AI offering has left me cold. The price is insane.

It looks like my AW might be my last AI. My next rifle will be a SAKO TRG 22.

Ive never seen in person a AX rifle, and im sure its a well made rifle but 8000 dollars is not worth it. Even if i was being generous..i could not do 8000 dollars. Now for 8000 dollars if the AX rifle came with a hard storm case and a S&B 5-25 FFP P4F scope then perhaps id think about it. Im sorry theres no way to justify the 8000 dollar rifle only price tag.

Heath

It looks like purpose built FUBAR; but then again the when the AI first came out it didn't have a warm reception either. I am sure w/ proper marketing someone will buy it

$8k........Right...... ;/ Serious?I hope this price backfires and No-one really buys it to FORCE them to drop pricing....goodshootin'

~Reagan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is a '95 AIAW, I preformed their drop test, bouncing it off the butt pad a few times to show a buddy then this was the result

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

AI fixed it so I have no complaints

</div></div>

OMG.. Adam, you never cease to amaze me. Kinda funny. What possessed you to wanna do your own BUMP test? There are youtube videos to watch. Why cant you just belive them
smile.gif

I think this is about as funny and ironic as it gets in the rifle world. This is classic. Did you do the BUMP test from and second floor by chance? There had to be some cold beer involved?

Theres the BUMP test and then theres the Adam B test.

On the AX. It appears that the brake is threaded on the tip? Whats that for? Surely one does not thread a Suppressor to the end of the brake do they?

I was quoted $9,500 for an AW, 20" in .308 down here (Aussie dollar is now higher than USD, go figure..), so I guess this thing will probably be around the $12.5-13K mark. Hopefully not.

It looks like you could expect a purple laser beam to shoot out from it... ugly... damn ugly.

It should be mentioned that the $8k price is for an AX with <span style="font-weight: bold">all</span> of the options installed: QA system, buttspike, etc.

In comparison, an AW 308 with all of the same features would have a retail price of $7705. $295 more for the AX isn't exactly the end of the world - people have been buying AWs for decades now, at basically the exact same price. And as always, if the AX is out of a person's price range, the AE MkII is always available at around $3k.

It's still a hell of a lot cheaper than some hobbys,when people tell I'm crazy for buying rifles and scopes that cost over 3k I just point out their 30k$ bass boat or big jacked up 60k$ truck.8k is a drop in the bucket.As far as looks that sounds like a chick response,it is a tool and a tool that was purpose built to complete a mission so I'm not expecting it to look "cute" or something.As stated its not much more than the aw with the same options so as an AI owner you shouldnt be sticker shocked.If they would just hurry up with the green skins and the 338 I'll own two after I sell my current AI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It should be mentioned that the $8k price is for an AX with <span style="font-weight: bold">all</span> of the options installed: QA system, buttspike, etc.

In comparison, an AW 308 with all of the same features would have a retail price of $7705. $295 more for the AX isn't exactly the end of the world - people have been buying AWs for decades now, at basically the exact same price. And as always, if the AX is out of a person's price range, the AE MkII is always available at around $3k. </div></div>

I bet the MKII shoots just as good...
smile.gif

Meh, whatever stop complaining whiney little choir boys!

As stated above, people have been buying AW's since Jesus has walked the earth.

You get a gun that has the least chance of failing on under the harshest conditions known to man. Simple.

Do you find yourself chambering rounds whilst shit literally falls from the heavens?
Have you even had to consider a bolt freezing over on you?
Do you need a rifle that can have barrel changes in the field if need be?

If you said no, then you do not need an AW or an AX... maybe an AE will fit the bill.

jeez seriously if its too much don't buy it. if the US SOF adopted it everyone and their mother would want one. thats why people pay 5500 dollars for a m110 instead of a GAP ar10 that does the same freaking thing.

i'm not overcome by the looks either but i'd still like to shoot one. thats the great thing about options, ya always have em. go buy a remington 700 sps for 500 bucks, it shoots a 308 too.

or you can buy a DSR for 11k. to each their own.

Im sure it is a great rifle. My problem is I don't need another rifle and if I am going to drop 8K it better be pleasing to the eyes and a few pounds lighter.

I was really hoping for a updated AW that would have kept the same basic design but lightened it up a few pounds with other minor updates. As much as I like my AW it is a pig. I have found that the factory bipod (heavy) only compounds this when shooting from a non prone position. I am going to try an Atlas V8 and see if this helps.

I think a SAKO TRG 22 with an Atlas bipod is going to be exactly what I am looking for. For 8k I will have my TRG 22 topped off with an S&B PMII and a Atlas bipod. I will have enough money left over to buy five magazines and a thousand rounds of FDGM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$8000 for that??? I just don't see it </div></div>

Two GAP's or that contraption which looks like the sprayer for a power washer. Hmmm.... </div></div>

Agreed,..its butt ugly and doesn't look particularly "shootable"

$8k is just a ridiculous price.

this industry (gun manufacturers) thrives on suckers.

considering the US government would pay $300 for a hammer, you may already have a customer.

anyone buying the AX has either:
1. too much money, or
2. is an avid collector (of sniper rifles), or
3. knows very little about marksmanship, or
4. low self-esteem (which requires a boost and validation every time they expose their "gun" in public).

choose any combination you like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...looks like the sprayer for a power washer. Hmmm.... </div></div>LOL! Now <span style="text-decoration: underline">that's</span> funny.

The last time I got a quote on a brand new AW with the folding stock (no butspike), adjustable cheekpiece, harris bipod adapter etc, it was $5728. Now 6k to $6500 I could see for the new AX series but for 8K+ it would have to be the 338 model before I'd consider something in that price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jeez seriously if its too much don't buy it. if the US SOF adopted it everyone and their mother would want one. thats why people pay 5500 dollars for a m110 instead of a GAP ar10 that does the same freaking thing. </div></div> Big +1 there.

Expensive, Ugly, Heavy, were some of the choice words used when the original AI's came to the states. For about a 3-4 year span; you couldn't give one away as no one knew what they were! That's all history now; and I have a feeling it will repeat itself!

The AW had and has to some degree a "unique factor" that other precision rifles did not have. Therefor you had to pony up to have their platform. The story has changed and the competition has caught up and in some areas surpassed. The AX is similar to several new offerings from other manufacturers. This is coming from a huge AI fan who has spent a small fortune on their products.

No doubt that the AX will be a first class product but the price seems a bit out of line considering the competition. On the other hand AI might not care about the civilian market so much and is probably after military contracts that have deep pockets and money to burn.

If you owned an AI rifle you wouldnt say that. Take a stock or custom 700 platform and put it side by side with an AI rifle and you will see.
I was into Steyr SSGs for the longets time and put it side by side a friends AI AW and the rest is history. No more SSGs only AIs and maybe a Surgeon as far as 700s go.