Accuracy international axmc 338 vs custom 338 build at 1 mile.

jaybigboy34

Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
Aug 23, 2017
Would an AXMC 338lm shoot as well and be as accurate as a custom build 338lm with say a bat action at 1 mile? Taking out all other variables like shooter abilities for example. Shooting prone also. Not benchrest.

Last edited:
I would choose the AX in a heartbeat.
Besides the Multi-caliber aspect and better value if you sell it in a few years. IMHO it is more reliable in field conditions.

Super tight custom actions such as Bat and a premium barrel with custom chamber, would likely have a small margin for extreme Benchrest type shooting.

Reactions: harry_x1
I think it really comes down to what you’re comfortable with. The BAT allows any reasonable OAL because it’s single shot. Improved calibers with long OAL, no problem. You can get fiberglass stocks weighted to balance long, heavy barrels. Multiple trigger choices. The BAT is less money overall. It also will use a 1.250” barrel blank that is more readily available. Dave Tooley does excellent barrels for either setup. That’s probably the equalizer at a mile.

Hi,

IMO...you can take a "field" gun of AI quality and with proper barrel, chamber and ammunition development you can get it to be as accurate as any other genre of shooting disciplines but you cannot take a BR gun and make it as reliable in conditions as the "field" gun.

Accuracy is from bolt lugs forward.
Reliability is from bolt lugs rearward.

Sincerely,
Theis

I have one of the original AI-PSR kits and have used 8 different barrels in this action and all shoot 1/2 moa or better. I shoot off of a bipod and rear bag. I shoot .338LM 300wm 6.5 cm .308win with the same action with the same accuracy.

This is a bit apples and oranges to the OP's question, but here goes... I have an MPA BA in 338LM. Getting it on target at a mile with factory ammo was straightforward in challenging conditions. While breaking it in, it shot right at 0.5MOA 5 shot group at 1K yards. After bedding the action and using handloads, it shot 0.3MOA. I think of the MPA as a sort of "custom light" rifle.

I also have an AX/MC in 338 LM. It was also straightforward to get on target at a mile with factory ammo. I have not gotten quite the advantage from handloads comparatively with the AI but it grouped a little better compared to the un-bedded MPA.

Here's the thing - I feel like I'm going to shoot better when I'm behind the AI. It's heavier than the MPA and thus I feel less recoil, but once I got the AI tweaked to my liking, I saw way more impacts because I'm staying on target nearly every shot. I do like the trigger hand position better on the MPA but I can shoot the AI just fine within my own limits.

It was out of character for me to spend so much on the AI but I'm happier than a pig in shit that I did.

Reactions: harry_x1 and Nik H
In Rifle Accuracy Facts, an old out-of-print book by Harold Vaughn, he does a lot of testing of accuracy in a 100 yard wind tunnel. He did find that action flex and even the orientation of the locking lugs made a measurable difference—but this was also in a benchrest setting where group size was below 0.2 MOA. I think that @THEIS is right in saying there is probably a slight advantage to the BAT action, much of which is likely from not having a magazine opening, but this is going to be dwarfed by wind effects and shooter error in typical non-benchrest ELR settings.

Reactions: TripleBull
Hi,

Some of the problems that were highlighted in those old books is a pretty mute point these days due to action/receiver design changes.

Integral scope bases and integral recoil lugs have greatly reduced the amount of "flex" seen today compared to those old large open top port designed receivers of yester-year.

I actually just spent this past week with a multiple BR world record holder on this very subject since I was having him go over my designs.

It was like walking into the lifelong shop of the old guy off "The Shooter", lolol.....everything but the rifles were covered in dust.

1574539421133.png

Sincerely,
Theis

Some of the problems that were highlighted in those old books is a pretty mute point these days due to action/receiver design changes.

Integral scope bases and integral recoil lugs have greatly reduced the amount of "flex" seen today compared to those old large open top port designed receivers of yester-year.
That’s interesting. It’s a shame there isn’t more rigorous data available about firearm accuracy these days, but I guess there isn’t much of a market for it.

I kinda figured that the accuracy would be close especially shooting out in the field and not on a bench. I think subjects like this arw very interesting. Thank you for all the replies.

I have an AI AXMC and couple of custom rifles. If you build a custom rifle with top parts then it matches or in some cases is better than AI AXMC. The additional value of AXMC comes from the ease of changing calibers. To change a caliber on custom rifle you have to totally take is apart and go to a gunsmith...having an AXMC has allowed me to experiment with multiple diff calibers with minimal additional expense. The main benefit of custom rifle can be that you can build a really light gun that can also serve for hunting. AXMC is not super heavy but definately not as light as qualify for a hunter class easily.