Accurate Factory Ammo - AR15 1:9" Barrel

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I will be reloading very soon, but wanted to see how well my AR15 with 1:9" twist barrel would do on a high quality ammo. Hopefully, I can beat whatever benchmark is set with my developed handloads.

I figure 50 - 60 grain is about right for this twist. Federal Gold Match appears available in 69 grain only, and maybe that will work. Anything else? The rifle is chambered to 223 Remington SAAMI spec (Krieger).

- Phil

Re: Accurate Factory Ammo - AR15 1:9" Barrel

I like the Hornady 60 gr VMAX. I shoot them out of my 1:8 and 1:9 AR's with decent accuracy. When I shoot them out of my DPMS Mini-SASS I can get 3/4 to 1 MOA at a 100 yds. I also can replicate it with reloading too. I also get good results from Hornady TAP ammo.

My 1:9 twist barrel is a 24" long bushmaster. I called them and they said the barrles are tested with 75gr hornady tap ammo. I'm shooting Bitterroot valley 75gr tactical ammo from Cheaper than dirt. It's just over 10 bucks a box. I am getting 1/2" groups with this ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrhog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 1:9 twist barrel is a 24" long bushmaster. I called them and they said the barrles are tested with 75gr hornady tap ammo. I'm shooting Bitterroot valley 75gr tactical ammo from Cheaper than dirt. It's just over 10 bucks a box. I am getting 1/2" groups with this ammo. </div></div>

1/2"? 3 shot or 5 shot groups? Care to post targets of three to five 5 shot groups on a single paper to show this? Sorry for questioning but that IS superb accuracy and great consistency.

Back on topic... run 69 gr FGMM. Any FGMM ammo "usually" shoots better than any other factory "match" ammo on the market, and is the standard measure for accuracy testing.

I like FGMM ammo the best for accuracy and consistency, but was able to get some 60gr Hornady Tap cheap via an LE/mil discount. My Rock River Coyote Carbine 1:9 loved this stuff and would shoot it under an inch regularly. I liked the TAP even better because I could use one type of ammo for multiple applications. I have not had great results with the reloaded Black Hills ammo in .223, but the red box (60gr+) stuff has always been good for me and I buy it whenever I find it on sale. Regardless of the ammo quality or bbl twist I have not had much luck with anything under 60gr--I think BUSTIN had a theory on that though...

pupdawg said:
[quote=1/2"? 3 shot or 5 shot groups? Care to post targets of three to five 5 shot groups on a single paper to show this? Sorry for questioning but that IS superb accuracy and great consistency.

Right now the only pictures I have are with my cell phone.
I have a picture of a 5 shot 62gr silver bear ammo that is around 3/4". If i still have the targets i'll take some better photos.

If he is shooting a Krieger he doesn't need to worry about a swelled muzzle. 69s should shoot great, Black Hills or Federal,
I have heard the 68 Black Hills shoot well too.
My go to load for the last 10years or more has been 24gr RE15 with the 69 SMK set out to 2.28" if you have mags that will handle that length.