• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Accurate Mag .308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor Mags

Not sure about Accurate but all I have used since 2008 is .308 mags with my Creedmoor so just buy whichever is cheaper. .308 mags work fine with the Creedmoor. No caliber specific mag is needed.

Certain companies label some mags as being for 6.5 Creedmoor to have something to sell to the "special people" who call up insisting they need a mag for their 6.5 Creed and not for a .308 :rolleyes:

The only difference is what is stamped on the mags...

Reactions: lennyo3034
Thanks guys. I didn't think there should be a difference. I guess I'll try the MDT mags as the Accurate mag that came with my Manners stock doesn't fees to well. I polished the feed lips and tried adjusting them but I'm just not to find of how it feels. If those don't work I'll try to go the AW way but I've heard they may not be reliable on the Big Horn action.

The follower is the difference, and perhaps the feed lips for the shorter shoulder.
Yes there’s a difference other than the stamp.

They may have changed something in their design but the fact is that the Creedmoor feeds just fine from any .308 mag from semi autos to AICS mags.

Followers are different. The lip in the follower is set back farther to mate with the shorter shoulder of the CM.
You can run a 6.5CM in a .308 mag. You wouldn’t want to run a .308 in a 6.5CM mag.

Run whatever you want, but the fact a Creedmoor mag doesn’t work all that well for 308 is no reason not to get one.
The ones I own only need to feed Creedmoors and do a great job of that. Zero nose dives compared to my 7.62 marked PMAGs.

Run whatever you want, but the fact a Creedmoor mag doesn’t work all that well for 308 is no reason not to get one.
The ones I own only need to feed Creedmoors and do a great job of that. Zero nose dives compared to my 7.62 marked PMAGs.

Sure it is. Why limit yourself to a mag that only feeds Creedmoors? You can get mags that will feed .308, .243, Creedmoors etc so you are not limited. Not sure what's up with your PMAGs or whatever you are running them in but Creedmoor runs fine in any .308 mag. I have run them in only .308 mags in semi autos and bolt guns and never an issue. No reason to buy a Creedmoor specific mag.

Why? Because it functions better for its intended purpose. I don’t need it to do 308 or 243. I need it to do 6.5CM with bulletproof reliability. I have 308 mags for 308s.
I also couldn’t load nearly long enough in a PMAG to be of any use to my 6.5CM.

Just like I don’t need my 45 ACP mags to feed anything but 45 ACP, or my 9mm mags to feed anything but 9mm.
Ambiguity is of zero value to me.

Lol hey if you are happy that's all that counts.

I agree the PMAGs are short in OAL. The AICS mags work better for longer OAL but the .308 AICS mags go the same length. I know. I have been using them in my Creedmoor since 2008. If you really needed length the mags without the binder plate is what you want.

Just got off the phone with Mark at Accurate Mag and he said there is ZERO difference between the .308 binderless mags and the 6.5 Creedmoor mags. He said they just stamp 6.5 on the mags because some OEMs requested it. I asked specifically about feed lips and followers and he said again, "Zero Difference"

Just got off the phone with Mark at Accurate Mag and he said there is ZERO difference between the .308 binderless mags and the 6.5 Creedmoor mags. He said they just stamp 6.5 on the mags because some OEMs requested it. I asked specifically about feed lips and followers and he said again, "Zero Difference"

Good to know that some in here had the right answer. LOL Thanks @JMGlasgow for passing good info.

Here's what Accurate Mag said when I asked this specific question recently.

1584999868461.png

Which begs the question: why would anyone want a less capable, less versatile magazine like one made just for 6.5 CM?
Apparently I was mistaken and they’re both mechanically identical.
I’ll even admit to getting a bit too passionate over something I thought I was right about.

Last edited:
Apparently I was mistaken and they’re both mechanically identical.
I’ll even admit to getting a bit too passionate over something I thought I was right about.
The only reason there’s a 6.5 mag is because 6.5CM threw a temper tantrum about 308 had a magazine and 6.5CM didn’t.
That and 6.5CM didn’t want to be put in a magazine for commoners and low life trash.

• Haha
Reactions: Tokay444 and Rob01