Rifle Scopes Acog On Ar-10

dahsma

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2010
Ohio
I am interested in putting a TA 11E Acog on my 16" Armalite AR-10. I currently have a Trijicon RX30 reflex on it now. With all the gossip of 2012 this is my go to rifle and I would like a little magnification. Does anyone have any experience with this optic? Will this setup be sufficient?

Re: Acog On Ar-10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dahsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> With all the gossip of 2012 this is my go to rifle and I would like a little magnification. </div></div>

Dude take the tinfoil hat off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dahsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am interested in putting a TA 11E Acog on my 16" Armalite AR-10. I currently have a Trijicon RX30 reflex on it now. With all the gossip of 2012 this is my go to rifle and I would like a little magnification. Does anyone have any experience with this optic? Will this setup be sufficient? </div></div>

EL OH EL

I wear no such thing as a tin foil hat.... I was trying to see if I could get any comments...LOL I'm basically looking for simple magnification out to approx 500meters. I really do like the Trijicon reflex I have now, but the 6.5 MOA dot is too large at 300 meters

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dahsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wear no such thing as a tin foil hat.... I was trying to see if I could get any comments...LOL I'm basically looking for simple magnification out to approx 500meters. I really do like the Trijicon reflex I have now, but the 6.5 MOA dot is too large at 300 meters </div></div>

yeah, that's a huge dot.

any ACOG suited for .308 will do you well. put on a RDS on top, and you're set for any apoclypse and out to 500 meters

IDK, my biggest problem with ACOGs has been the eye relief, or lack thereof. If I remember right, the TA11 has a pretty short eye relief at around 2" or so. Although a .308 really doesn't kick that hard, you do have to take care not to pop yourself in the eye with the scope.

For the kind of money that the TA11s go for, I'd be looking at a 1-4X Nightforce. It's going to be about the same size and more flexible, although it won't have the cool illuminutation.

If you've never owned an ACOG, I'd suggest that you try to check one out before you buy. ACOGs are sort of a love 'em or hate 'em sort of thing. I know lots of guys that got them because they thought there were cool, but wound up getting rid of them after finding that they are a pretty specialized optic and not a good all around optic.

IMo acogs were the cololest thing when they came out... a lot of stuff since is better for the money.

the higher power stuff we used in afghanistan with the rmrs on top was pretty amazing though.

Any of the 4X green horse shoes i'd prefer over that but maybe thats just me. You can get much clearer glass for 1000 dollars

the TA 11E has a chevron, I understand that the base of the chevron is 300 meters on a 19" target. Is there a "for sure" aiming point at 200 meters with a chevron? With that being said, I am also considering the TA 11J for the "for sure" aiming points on the reticule. Would you guys have a preference?

In contrast... I noticed a lot of guys around here really like the SWFA SS 1-4x24. Also seen some guys taking off their acogs and replacing them with this scope. To me, that says something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dahsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With that being said, I am also considering the TA 11J for the "for sure" aiming points on the reticule. </div></div>

I'm not sure how it'd be a "for sure" aiming reticule. It is a BDC reticule designed to be "close enough" for a soldier to hit a bad guy at varying ranges. ACOG is battlefield optic not a target scope.

Like I said I prefer the chevron to the crosshair. Red triangle is very visible and the holdovers work pretty well.

You need to keep in mind that the 1-4 scopes suggested offer the same holdover functionality at 4X while also doubling as a 1X optic...that's why a lot of sport shooters and hobbyists are selling acogs etc and getting 1-4 variables of various types...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dahsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In contrast... I noticed a lot of guys around here really like the SWFA SS 1-4x24. Also seen some guys taking off their acogs and replacing them with this scope. To me, that says something?</div></div>

I prefer it to any of the low power optics I've used/tried, with the exception of possibly the SpecterDR. I haven't spent enough time with the ELCAN to have an opinion based on anything but initial impressions though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dahsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> With all the gossip of 2012 this is my go to rifle and I would like a little magnification. </div></div>

Dude take the tinfoil hat off. </div></div>

I think he's Mayan.

Donde esta los banos?

10991-history-illuminati-their-goal-one-world-government-tinhat.jpg

BTW- ACOG is a great optic. I'd recommend a TA55A though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why limit yourself to 4X top end with a 308? </div></div>

Once the aporkalypse comes, zombies are expected to triple in size. The extra field of view will be needed.

Must be all the high fructose corn syrup and synthetic beef.

The inside top corner of the chevron is 200m. at least on a 556 acog the tip is 100m, underside of the tip is 200, bottom of the triangle/glowing part of the bdc/popsicle stick is 37/300m

If you have the money a 1.18 or 1.5-8 or a 1-6 power scope is much more appropriate for an ar10.

Don't take the "why limit yourself" mentality too far, you'll wind up with this.

A better mindset is "what do I need". If shorter ranges are a consideration, something with a low end of 1x or 1.1x is going to be significantly better than something with a low end of 1.5x.

If your going to mount a 2.5-10 and an offset Aimpoint, it starts drifting away from being a handy carbine.

If you are willing to drop the cash might want to look at the schmidt & bender short dot...they have both a 1.8x-4x and a 1.1x-8x model. They arent cheap but the glass is the best money can buy and will give you the ability to shoot close up or out to 800.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are willing to drop the cash might want to look at the schmidt & bender short dot...they have both a 1.8x-4x and a 1.1x-8x model. They arent cheap but the glass is the best money can buy and will give you the ability to shoot close up or out to 800.</div></div>

Any idea when the 1-8 Short Dot will be available?

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate different opinions. After all your input, I think an Acog would not be best for what I need. I am really considering the SWFA SS HD 1-4 x 24. At 1x I can maintain the "reflex" type sighting and at 4x I have just enough magnification for what I need. According to other members, this scope is hard to beat.

What are you planning on shooting and at what average rang? Acogs are built like tanks which is why the military uses them.....you may want an adjustable optic for your purposes.

The hide consensus seems to be a 1x4 scope. The s&b 1x8should be out from what I have heard in just a few months. The cost will be about 3k. If you are going to consider that then don't forget about an elcan or elcan specter dr in either 1x4 or 1x8 adjustable.
None of this glass is cheap but you get what you pay for with optics. Nikon makes a less expensive but quality Vxr model that is also 1x4 I think....

This will be going on my 16" Armalite Ar-10. This is my utility rifle. I have a trijicon rx-30 reflex on it now. I do everything with this rifle from carbine courses and steel plates to shooting coyotes and deer. I find it rather difficult to shoot over 200yds because of the 6.5moa reticule. I would like to keep the reflex ability for plates and carbine use but also have enough magnification for longer shots on steel and for occasional hunting use. I had a 512 Eotech with magnifier but again this really wasnt what I needed and I really didnt like having the 2 optics. I want to keep things simple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dahsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This will be going on my 16" Armalite Ar-10. This is my utility rifle. I have a trijicon rx-30 reflex on it now. I do everything with this rifle from carbine courses and steel plates to shooting coyotes and deer. I find it rather difficult to shoot over 200yds because of the 6.5moa reticule. I would like to keep the reflex ability for plates and carbine use but also have enough magnification for longer shots on steel and for occasional hunting use. I had a 512 Eotech with magnifier but again this really wasnt what I needed and I really didnt like having the 2 optics. I want to keep things simple. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO SN4 slimline... </div></div>

Although the SWFA 1-4 would be my choice for sure if budget is more suited to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dahsma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I am really considering the SWFA SS HD 1-4 x 24. At 1x I can maintain the "reflex" type sighting and at 4x I have just enough magnification for what I need. According to other members, this scope is hard to beat. </div></div>

Dashma, You won't be dissapointed with the SS 1-4. I just ran mine through a carbine course, and have used it on my range at home from 25-400 yds.

Steel shot, the higher power ELCAN is a 1.5-6, not a 1-8, and it kind of sucks on the low end.

im using a leupold mk 4 cqt on my 20 inch rock river lar-8.
at first I was a bit concerned with only 1x3 zoom but have found in the real world my shots on deer and coyotes happen anywhere from 15 yds to 300 yds and the scope works great. I also own a trijicon ta 31f mounted on my colt 6940 and would not trade it for any optic out there . In a futile gesture of stupidity I tried the acog on my 458 socom , I had no issue with eye relief and loved it on the rifle but the bdc was useless for the mortar type trajectory the socom has.
either optic will serve you well on your armalite . If you do indeed hunt with your rifle I would lean toward a quality 1x4 type scope.