Rifle Scopes ACOG Reticle - Anyone ever seen this one before?

FatBoy

After 20 years, going anonymous..
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2001
TN
I just bought an old TA01 NSN for an M4A1 project and I have never seen this reticle. I can't find pics of it anywhere to confirm it's a 5.56 reticle. It doesn't look like any TA01 reticle I have seen before. Wondering if maybe it's a really early unit or.... ?

Scope looks 100% legit. Unit came in the old flat plastic box. NSN number is engraved, etc. Owners manual is July 1996. Tritium is long dead on the reticle and the front sight.

I sent an email off to Trijicon but don't expect them to reply. Any feedback on this reticle?

20190417_155358.jpg
20190417_150756.jpg

Reactions: Bender
I could only find one similar to it, maybe this one is updated version on yours?

Also found this

Talks about it a little here at this forum

Last edited:
Reactions: FatBoy
That was a great find. Thank you.

My glass doesn't have anything etched on the bottom (or I just can't see it) so it had me little concerned, however I called Trijicon this morning and they tried to look up the scope by the serial number. It's older than their computer system and would have been paper filed so he said I could send a pic and he'd ask some of the long long termers if they have any info on it.

This is actually kind of interesting to track down. Hopefully there is a definitive answer at the end of this.

I appreciate you guys helping.

Edit: he did advise I'm SOL if I want to have the tritium replaced. Said it could be done, but would require a full reticle swap so I'd loose this one.

Chris

Trijicon came through!

"Thank you for the photos. That reticle is actually the original TA01 reticle, which is based off of .223 62gr out of the A4 20” barrel at 3120 FPS. This reticle, as you know, is no longer available. Also, if you were to send it in for re-illumination, your reticle would be switched to the current TA01 reticle."

Even though this isn't what I expected I am really happy to have an original unit. I think I might buy a new(er) TA01 for the m4a1 and maybe build a rifle around this old scope.

I have an old DPMS Service Rifle with a fresh barrel. Thinking of sourcing the RAS (might be tough), a T-marked flat top, pulling the Jewel out for a SSA-E and changing the configuration to M16A4. Would be the cheapest build I ever did! Not a 100% clone, but the free float tube and non-chrome liked barrel will have it shooting just like a SR. Just need to see if I used a M4 barrel extension last time I rebarreled.

M5 RAS on the way from a member here. Will pick up a flat top next week when I go off call and this will be essentially a done deal. I'll swap out the Jewell when I decide whether or not this reticle will work for Service Rifle prone matches.