Action Bolt Head

JB.IC

Statistical Jackass of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2019
Is there a preferred bolt head design for the big bore ELR cartridges?

I ask because I always thought bolt heads like AI or Barrett uses look weird and with so many contact points and lack of material behind the lugs it just wouldn’t be favorable.

All that being said, I’m not looking to buy a new action. I’m just bored and wondering if there are any engineers in the ELR section with some insight.

Not an engineer but I run and AI 338lm amd 375 CT CADEX never had an issue with the 3 lug system ( some say 6 lug cause its split). You can look at a 408 Stiller action and its 2 lugs. My friend is shooting a Tubbs Gun and i think the bolt is to small for the 37xc but it had no issues while we are shooting.

I have a Cadex shadow 3 lug action and that action the lugs look meaty enough. The bolt heads below don’t appear to have a lot of material behind them. I will admit the AI bolt looks like it has more material than I initially thought.

When looking at a lot of the professional shooters and the actions they choose to shoot, the two lug seems to be the most popular. I’m curious if there is a reason for that on the engineering side of the house.

Does a two lug handle pressure better?
Does a two lug have a better chance of being square and flush?

This is purely for conversation. I’d rather see what others think about this than hear one more thing about a damn virus. Thank god I'm overseas and have plenty of TP lol.

35A5FED5-27A7-4D4A-9DF5-2EFB5BB8A229.jpeg
36FEF203-DC88-49E0-9D61-745075452EE0.png
505CD716-C3AE-499B-A4BB-24E945D58FBD.jpeg