Action Camera recommedations

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Supporter
May 5, 2024
Texas
I am looking for action camera recommendations primary being used to make YouTube videos and such of gun / shooting demonstrations. Not sure if this is the correct area for this post but if it's not I am sure someone will let me know lol. Would a GoPro be good for this? Also to record things like PRS matches etc. Having a slow motion option, high video/picture quality and excellent zoom I think would be necessary.

Go check out what he’s doing with his setup. Triggercam on the optic and GoPro attached to his tripod.

Mark and Sam have a video explaining what they use. I'm impressed with the amount of zoom and the clarity that they get out of the Canon and Nikon.

In this video they zoom out and back in with either the Canon or the Nikon.

Reactions: carbonbased
More recently I have seen the insta360 ace pro showing up more. Colin furze uses one. Better lowlight than the gopro.

Better than a GoPro is really hard. Better at specific settings? Maybe.

Wife bought an ace pro, I have a hero 12 on the way. We'll see.

GoPro is still king of accessories and mounts. I can find extra batteries at any Walmart, etc.

Better than a GoPro is really hard. Better at specific settings? Maybe.

Wife bought an ace pro, I have a hero 12 on the way. We'll see.

GoPro is still king of accessories and mounts. I can find extra batteries at any Walmart, etc.
I am curious to know the difference. I do like the idea of the GoPro and being able to pick up batteries or accessories for it virtually anywhere. My brother in law has one of those insta 360's but all his videos look weird and have the "360 degree" view or look to them. Maybe the ace pro is more so meant to be like a GoPro instead of the original insta360.

Reactions: LeftyJason
I am curious to know the difference. I do like the idea of the GoPro and being able to pick up batteries or accessories for it virtually anywhere. My brother in law has one of those insta 360's but all his videos look weird and have the "360 degree" view or look to them. Maybe the ace pro is more so meant to be like a GoPro instead of the original insta360.

The ace looks pretty much identical to a GoPro.

For more on the 360 stuff check this vid. 3:02.

On an earlier video they did a review that looked more 360 view (kawasaki zx4rr). More recent videos are much better. Most of their on bike footage is done with one. One thing that I've heard from some other content creators that I listen/ watch the biggest thing is choosing the key frames for moving better.

I mainly plan to use it to start a YouTube channel of me demoing different guns I either build or acquire. And document some PRS stuff. But I think I might try to get a triggercam to go with this. It basically comes down to best video quality with highest frame rate, and best zoom while maintaining that quality. If I can zoom in down range to see my target that'd be fantastic. I'll have to do some additional research into those specifics. I appreciate everyone's input. @chevy_man let me know what you think once you have both of them.

My experience with four different GoPro cameras, up through the Hero 8: they don't like extreme high temps and will overheat easily.

This can be a consideration. Turn off GPS, give it some shade, toss it in a cooler between shots if you need 5.3k.

I haven't had one overheat, but I'm riding dirt bikes and snowmobiles so they get some air. I also live in Montana where 90° is starting to melt. I can see having issues sitting still in the sun at 120° in Arizona.

I mainly plan to use it to start a YouTube channel of me demoing different guns I either build or acquire. And document some PRS stuff. But I think I might try to get a triggercam to go with this. It basically comes down to best video quality with highest frame rate, and best zoom while maintaining that quality. If I can zoom in down range to see my target that'd be fantastic. I'll have to do some additional research into those specifics. I appreciate everyone's input. @chevy_man let me know what you think once you have both of them.

GoPro does action very well. That's not really what you're after.

I think you'd be happier with a decent DSLR with a few lenses. Then you can put a quality high zoom lens on for targets, or a small lens on for close ups. Not going to be as durable, but a lot more flexible and more tailored to the use case.

GoPro does action very well. That's not really what you're after.

I think you'd be happier with a decent DSLR with a few lenses. Then you can put a quality high zoom lens on for targets, or a small lens on for close ups. Not going to be as durable, but a lot more flexible and more tailored to the use case.
That makes sense. I’ll have to give those some consideration too. I was hoping to have it double as a vacation camera too and be able to use with a selfie stick and everything but perhaps it’s better to have a separate one for each use case. Thanks for that suggestion/ observation.