• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Action for a .300 WM build

ForgeValley

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2018
    WNC
    Looks like I am going to venture into the long action area for the first time, and wondering what actions you guys would recommend for a .300 WM build? All my experience has been with SA, Mausingfield and Bighorn TL3. I'm sure those would be fine choices, but wondering if there are any others I might want to look at when moving up to long action and magnum cartridges? I will most likely drop it into a JAE stock.

Thanks!

Tim

I vote TL3, I have one with a 28 Nosler barrel, will probably have to get a 300WM barrel at some point. Love the cartridge. But the action has been great, have no reservations at all about it, probably all I will buy going forward (until the TL4 or something comes out), but I'm definitely sticking with Bighorn.

I went Mausenfield for my 300 WM and it is fantastic. Handled the TL3 at SHOT and found it much easier to bind. ARC’s destructive testing on overcharged loads was a deciding factor if I want to move up to 300 NM with a bolt head swap.

I would have to agree with redneckbmxr24 regarding a AXMC. However, if you are not considering a AI, I would go with the Mausingfield. I value the control round feeding, extractor design and overall robustness of the action. It is why my personal 300WM is on a Mausingfield (short of my AI's).

I have a really nice APA build on a Defiance action and an aics chassis. Awesome.

Doing it all over today, either ax or mrad I think.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I would love to pick up an AXMC, but can't drop 9k on a rifle right now. Maybe if I find a good one in the exchange....

Definitely looking at the Surgeon options, EuroOptic has some pretty nice pricing on them in AX chassis. If I do the build myself, leaning towards a Surgeon or Mausingfield action.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I would love to pick up an AXMC, but can't drop 9k on a rifle right now. Maybe if I find a good one in the exchange....

Definitely looking at the Surgeon options, EuroOptic has some pretty nice pricing on them in AX chassis. If I do the build myself, leaning towards a Surgeon or Mausingfield action.

Love my Surgeon 1086 in AI AX chassis.

I have the Stiller Tac 300 and the Big Horn TL3. They both function well. Both are 300 wm. One is a hunting rifle and the other a long range rifle. Both reside in Manners MCS stocks. You couldn't go with either of these.

I use a bat tactical chambered in 300wm for a hunting rig. Using HS precision bottom metal and mags with 208-230gr projectiles loaded to mag length with no feeding troubles.