Action Length for ELR

Pbcarch

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2020
New around here and just getting into ELR via my 300wm light gun. I am building up a heavy class gun in 375CT. Soo many things to consider. But I have one , i think simple question for y'all.
Considering a BAT CT or L ....If i am shooting the 375 CT is the CT version more than adequate for long term use? I am asking because the L is 1.5in longer larger diam , etc... Anyone know the diam of the bolts on these ?

Also considering one other Manufacturer that may be available in about 2 months
I can get my hands on a CT now or wait the 9 months for the L ...

I'm not familiar with the differences in those actions, but if you're just starting a 375 CT build, you saw this, right?

I highly suggest that you look at Pierce engineering they make a wide variety of actions to suit your needs 800 series 10x + 20x actions. Quick turn around time a much better price

Talked to pierce today…4 month at least lead time.
So if i choose a BAT CT….which would you guys opt for 1.47 Oct or 1.55 round ?
Would have liked to choose the BAT L but it is a monster and requires a monster stock.
Ideally i am building a 375CT for that 1-2mile range perhaps a CT is more than enough ?

Talked to pierce today…4 month at least lead time.
So if i choose a BAT CT….which would you guys opt for 1.47 Oct or 1.55 round ?
Would have liked to choose the BAT L but it is a monster and requires a monster stock.
Ideally i am building a 375CT for that 1-2mile range perhaps a CT is more than enough ?
If I was choosing I’d get the meatiest action possible provided getting a stock of chassis isn’t a giant pain.

More material is better for interfacing with the biggest barrels. Factors that would steer you toward the smaller actions are carbon wrapped barrels or match weight limits (a la the 25lb Tubb class).

Robert Vestal recommended the Pierce 10x Cheytac action, and I respect his view of things.

Ko2M folks seem to really like the BAT and Stillers.

The growth of ELR has brought a few more actions to the market, so you have lots of choices. If you're working with a gunsmith already, perhaps you should ask his opinion.

More material is better for interfacing with the biggest barrels. Factors that would steer you toward the smaller actions are carbon wrapped barrels or match weight limits (a la the 25lb Tubb class).

Robert Vestal recommended the Pierce 10x Cheytac action, and I respect his view of things.

Ko2M folks seem to really like the BAT and Stillers.

The growth of ELR has brought a few more actions to the market, so you have lots of choices. If you're working with a gunsmith already, perhaps you should ask his opinion.
There are dozens of people in e l r shooting the 10x and the 20x Pierce actions stiller market shares are dropping due to too many issues and loose tolerances. The only thing that keeps stiller alive is price the pierce actions are priced between stiller and bat. And as good as bat or better

Last edited:
There are, as noted, several options - https://www.elr-resources.com/Receiver Matrixes - All 09092021.xls

Personally, I'd look real hard at the Barnard P-Chey - it is a totally bullet-proof action and the pricing includes the excellent Barnard target trigger (optional spring weights way low). US sources are Whidden (https://www.whiddengunworks.com/barnard-model-p-chey-action/) and Warner (https://www.warner-tool.com/product/barnard-rifle-action/). Neither are showing any stock. Speak with Dan at Warner, he'll give you the straight scoop on product quality and availability. Barnard also has an excellent v-block for bedding and a conversion kit to run a Jewel or R700 trigger. The Barnard website is down right now, so the Whidden page is best for specs - or my spreadsheet (top length).

Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the link to the chart…that is really informative in all one place. Btw I asked for the bolt diam in the thread where the guy is selling his bat ct….its .718