adice on weather and ranging equipment for ELRF

Texas Destroyer

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2012
simpsonville ky
i have a Barrett 50 BMG 82a1 it has swarski 10 power on it with barrett name so is a older unit. ten round mags and reloading press dies and 400 rounds of loaded ammo. I got from a friend was out of work for a year and needed money help. I'm planning a trip to train on it and have been reading about Horus kestrel weather and ranging system 4500Nv. i was considering changing scope to schmidt and bender PMii 5.5-25x56. My question is would having a Barrett BORS on the scope be counter productive to horus kestrel set up ?? I've been reloading since 15 years old and very familiar with those needs. Never shot at 1500 plus and need advice? thanks in advance

Re: adice on weather and ranging equipment for ELRF

a 10x power would be difficult for me to do any good past 1000 yards. I have that Leupold on my Rem 700 308 and I've gone out to 1200 but that's all it's good for.

On my 338LM I do have the SB PMII 25x that you mention. At one mile clarity is decent, though heat mirage still can make that range difficult. So bottom line is that it would be a great option given the alternatives, maybe it's the best option.

I have never looked through the BORS system and can't advise.

I use Kestrel + (android) Shooter app.

I have heard good things about the BORS, but have not personally used one. Like Cali_tx I use Kestrel and the Nightforce ballistic program.

All the BORS does is adjust your elevation based on the inputs (range, ect.) you put in.

BORS is poop. The M82 isn't a precision rifle by any stretch, but if you want to hit cars at a mile+ you'll want something similar to this setup:

- that S&B 5-25x or similar optic with lots of elevation
- Vectronix Terrapin for ranging
- Kestral weather station for environmental conditions
- Field Firing Solutions ballistics

That's an expensive arrangement, no doubt but definitely a "buy once, cry once" situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BORS is poop. The M82 isn't a precision rifle by any stretch, but if you want to hit cars at a mile+ you'll want something similar to this setup:

- that S&B 5-25x or similar optic with lots of elevation
- Vectronix Terrapin for ranging
- Kestral weather station for environmental conditions
- Field Firing Solutions ballistics

+1 Bors is no good. Follow the above advice and your golden.

That's an expensive arrangement, no doubt but definitely a "buy once, cry once" situation. </div></div>

+1 Bors is no good. Follow the above advice and your golden.