• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Adjustable gas block recommendation.

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2017
    Need to add an adjustable gas block to my AR10. (.750) It over gassing suppressed.

Superlative seems to be the goto but I'd was hoping to get off cheap and go with the Sadlak. It gets decent reviews but...

Superlatives are front access with a single "click detent" screw, usually the easiest type to adjust. Many AGBs are side access adjust screw, front adjust with side lock screw or stacked adjustment/lock screw. Those need access through a rail opening (doesn't always line up), or take the rail off to adjust. If you plan on running suppressed and unsuppressed or a wide variety of loads needing readjustment, those can be more time consuming. If your suppressor/adaptor is tucked under the rail, or it's a dissy, front adjust like the SA might not work.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    Take a look at the Riflespeed adjustable gas block and see if they have one that'll work with your barrel and hand guard length combination. If so, I'd go with that one in a heartbeat.

Superlative Arms does work but it's still a pain to adjust and there's no real way to know if you've gone from restrictive to bleed mode without tediously counting the click. It has a very small hex head for adjustment and a long hex key to do the job but it's fidgety. I go back and forth between settings on a 300 blackout quite a bit and just find it aggravating. I just bought a JP side adjustable to make it a bit easier (Riflespeed won't work for my combo) but didn't realize it has a front set screw. Sort of defeats the purpose of having a side adjustment.

I purchased the Superlative after post #3. 😊

Should be here Saturday. I do appreciate the replies though. And I'll likely need another for an AR15 that runs but is overpassed as well and super dirty.

Take a look at the Riflespeed adjustable gas block and see if they have one that'll work with your barrel and hand guard length combination. If so, I'd go with that one in a heartbeat.

Superlative Arms does work but it's still a pain to adjust and there's no real way to know if you've gone from restrictive to bleed mode without tediously counting the click. It has a very small hex head for adjustment and a long hex key to do the job but it's fidgety. I go back and forth between settings on a 300 blackout quite a bit and just find it aggravating. I just bought a JP side adjustable to make it a bit easier (Riflespeed won't work for my combo) but didn't realize it has a front set screw. Sort of defeats the purpose of having a side adjustment.
    wow, interesting and I may take shot at one and see how they work

Another vote here for the Riflespeed. I had the SA on a 20” barrel with a long hand guard. Was incredibly difficult getting the hex key into the adjustment screw with a hot can on the end. It worked great once adjusted though and as long as I used the same ammo, it would have been fine. But I wanted the ability to adjust to other ammo so I switched to the Riflespeed and am very happy.

Another vote here for the Riflespeed. I had the SA on a 20” barrel with a long hand guard. Was incredibly difficult getting the hex key into the adjustment screw with a hot can on the end. It worked great once adjusted though and as long as I used the same ammo, it would have been fine. But I wanted the ability to adjust to other ammo so I switched to the Riflespeed and am very happy.
    Side note on the conventional hex head adjustment screw type AGBs. Long shank ball end 3/32 hex drivers. Only works to about 20 deg angle though.
    1643995203768.png

Reactions: RTH1800
    SLR for my money; they're the best of several that I've used.

Easy to adjust & designed such that they can be easily taken apart & cleaned & will fit under any handguard with a 1.300" ID or bigger.

MM

If you want to get off cheap...get an RCA adjustable gas key for your BCG...I've been using RCA BCG's with adjustable gas key for almost 2yr now and I'll never buy an AGB again.. they sell just the adjustable gas key for $40 and works great...no carbon locking your gas block adjustment screw...super fast and easy to adjust your gas...

If you want to get off cheap...get an RCA adjustable gas key for your BCG...I've been using RCA BCG's with adjustable gas key for almost 2yr now and I'll never buy an AGB again.. they sell just the adjustable gas key for $40 and works great...no carbon locking your gas block adjustment screw...super fast and easy to adjust your gas...

Just ordered one. I assume you can move the modified bolt from carrier to carrier for different rifles that you may want to suppress? This is much easier than adding an adjustable gas block to each upper. I'll give it a try.

Edit: Carry two bolts and switch out when going from suppressed to not suppressed.

Just ordered one. I assume you can move the modified bolt from carrier to carrier for different rifles that you may want to suppress? This is much easier than adding an adjustable gas block to each upper. I'll give it a try.

Im not sure I understand your question... There is no modified bolt... Your removing the gas key from your existing "carrier" and installing the RCA Adjustable Gas Key in its place on your "carrier.".....

You could surely move the entire BCG from one rifle to the next... but the gas settings is not going to be the same, you would most likely have to re-adjust the gas key setting when you move it to another rifle..... You could just buy a $39.99 RCA adjustable gas key for each of your rifles so you can set gas for each rifle and not swap between them and have to keep re-tuning...

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    Im not sure I understand your question... There is no modified bolt... Your removing the gas key from your existing "carrier" and installing the RCA Adjustable Gas Key in its place on your "carrier.".....

You could surely move the entire BCG from one rifle to the next... but the gas settings is not going to be the same, you would most likely have to re-adjust the gas key setting when you move it to another rifle..... You could just buy a $39.99 RCA adjustable gas key for each of your rifles so you can set gas for each rifle and not swap between them and have to keep re-tuning...
    That's what I meant. Moving the carrier, not bolt. :giggle:

Reactions: padom