• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Adjustable vs fixed butt stock

Eric32

USAF
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Aug 14, 2011
    Tennessee
    So I have abandoned bolt guns cause I just wanna go fast now, and I am just not into PRS matches anymore I been wanting to do field matches as a second shooter. Cause I wanna go fast.

So I have built 2 gas guns one in 223 and 6 ARC.

Seekins DMRs is in 6 ARC it’s waiting on final assembly

223 Lego build with a bunch of parts.

But I have noticed that the buttstock on the 223 have a good bit on side to side play in it. So I am debating on switching to a fixed stock.

Wanted to ask anyone perspectives on a loose buttstock for a fixed one and if it had issues on POI shifts from zero?

So I have abandoned bolt guns cause I just wanna go fast now, and I am just not into PRS matches anymore I been wanting to do field matches as a second shooter. Cause I wanna go fast.

So I have built 2 gas guns one in 223 and 6 ARC.

Seekins DMRs is in 6 ARC it’s waiting on final assembly

223 Lego build with a bunch of parts.

But I have noticed that the buttstock on the 223 have a good bit on side to side play in it. So I am debating on switching to a fixed stock.

Wanted to ask anyone perspectives on a loose buttstock for a fixed one and if it had issues on POI shifts from zero?
    I cannot remember having anything loose on a firearm that improved accuracy

Reactions: simonp
    This is what I run .... it's perfect thickness that takes up all of the sloppiness and the teflon wear surface is designed for sliding parts. Apply to the buffer tube and slide the stock right over it. Doesn't require covering the entire tube ... just a strip or two and only long enough so when stock is fully extended it does not show. ... this is the ticket.

You can find it online ..link below.... I have a large roll from an old job where it was used on industrial printers.

Reactions: Eric32 and simonp
    Mag-pul ctr stock . it will lock up tighter than a drum plus you can get a cheek riser if needed . I have run one on a 458 socom for 14 years .

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpeg
      IMG_0396.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 30
    Reactions: Jughead
    If the rifle is destined to see multiple hands, a collapsible stock is the “easy button” to fit many shooters. But, I prefer a fixed stock if the rifle is just for me. I’m not growing, don’t wear armor, and seasonal clothing differences are pretty minimal around here.

Reactions: simonp
    I have both adjustable and fixed stocks in the same Proof Research 18" barrels, both chambered in 6 mm ARC.
    The adjustable stock rifle has little play in the stock, a bit lighter maybe a pound, And slightly More Accurate than the fixed stock.
    My preference is the lighter adjustable stock...and it's slighty more accurate of the two.
    The stock will make little to no difference in accuracy .... it's the shooter.
    So choose the one you like and don't worry about it.
    I only have 2 fixed stocks and one is not in use....all tbe rest are adjustable.
    Most are capable shoot 1/2" 5 shot groups, and sometimes less.
    Notice one target labeled adjustable stock, which slightly out shot the fixed stock with a higher power more expensive scope.
    The last photo is why I have 2 Proof barrels, never buy a complete upper to get into a new caliber.
    This was a mediocre barrel in a complete Areo upper, 2.5" 5 shot groups, with the same match ammo on the same day.
    Get a quality match barrel, and don't sweat the stock...get what you like, the stock fixed or adjustable make literally no difference in accuracy, when I shoot them. My adjustable was slightly more accurate in 6mm ARC ....but it's probably the barrel.

Attachments

• 20240914_165203.jpg
      20240914_165203.jpg
      487.7 KB · Views: 17
    • 20210809_175341.jpg
      20210809_175341.jpg
      232.2 KB · Views: 14
    • 20201229_211537.jpg
      20201229_211537.jpg
      273.1 KB · Views: 13
    • 20210111_181451.jpg
      20210111_181451.jpg
      406.3 KB · Views: 11
    • 20201229_144508.jpg
      20201229_144508.jpg
      937.3 KB · Views: 17
    If it's really sloppy you can use the soft sided adhesive backed velcro. Cut a little strip and apply it to the top of the receiver extension. It might be a little tight at first, but it will compress some and get better.