Advice for an adjustable base

mdslammer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hi guys,

I posted this thread in another section but should of been here.

Any recommendations for adjustable scope base would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone used the Valdada RAM 200 adjustable base?

I'm running a .375 CT with a fixed base with a 60 MOA cant. NF ATACR 5x25x56.

Running out of adjustment at 2400.

Any help, suggestions or advice would be really appreciated.

Mark

Sounds like it's time for a Charlie Tarac.
245.jpeg

Advertised/popular options:

Cold Shot - Adj Base

ERA-TAC - Adj Mount

Ivey - Adj Mount

TACOMHQ - Scope Attachment

I guess I chose to take the CT route right from the start instead of adjusting a base. I have a question for you adjustable base guys though..... At what point (moa or mils) are you starting to see the end of your barrel instead of the target? I know I reached that point way sooner than most because I always shoot suppressed. I reached that point right around 70-75 mils.

The Era-Tac is a very, very good adjustable base. I've tested mine and it has been consistent in it's repeatability but it is not specifically made for field type adjustments where you make adjustments on the fly.

MACHTECH, I've got a 30 MOA base on the action and have dialed the Era-Tac to 60 MOA for a total of 90 MOA without seeing my 30" barrel. Tried to go the full 70 MOA on the mount but the objective bell hit the front rail of the forend. I could remove the rail but rather not as I may go with a rail mounted Tarac once I put on a 37XC barrel so I can use it on multiple rifles.

Jasent; I agree with you. Too much adjustment can become problematic without a stock that can be adjusted at the cheek and butt pad.

Reactions: MACHTECH and jasent
That’s a good point sig. most of these repeatable adjustable bases are not easy to adjust on the fly or in field conditions.

Cheaper to just go with a 60-70 moa base and zero about 10-15” high at 100. This is the route I went. If you need more the micro charley is cheaper than many of these bases, 100% repeatable. If you have 100 moa of dial and go with a 100 moa Charlie you have 200 moa and not have to keep messing with cheek rest or staring at the barrel. With the price of some of these bases you could go with macro Charlie and have up to 300 mil or over 1000 moa if you wanted it
Would love to see a Charlie that’s a bit taller so you don’t need the delta with super long barrels

Last edited:
How far are you guys shooting on average?

I do run ERA-TAC adjustable mounts on all of my rifles, not to use them for elevation adjustment but because I got sick of constantly not having the correct cant mount for a specific application (get the most out of your elevation turret).

My Cadex .375 has a 40moa cant base. The ERA-TAC gets set to 20moa to achieve 35.5 mils of elevation adjustment and still have a 100 yard zero. A 30 mil CT gets me to just beyond 2 miles. Everything beyond that becomes its own setup based on the yardage because elevation changes so quickly after that. Hence having a CT setup for 2.5 and another for 3 miles.

I have since switched optics on this rifle to a 5-25 Tangent because of clearity at distance. I lost almost 10mils of elevation adjustment in my turret, but make up for it by re-calibrating 10 more mils in each of the CT's.

IMG_20191109_082354314_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191222_102402078.jpg

Haven’t been able to get mine past 2k yet. Finished my build late last year and didn’t get time to stretch it out before snow came. Now I’m staring out the window cussing the weather! Most my shooting spots are snowed in till May or June. One of my spots is about cleared up but deep mud is the access road.

I should be able to get just past 3 k before I need the CT

Reactions: MACHTECH
I have used both the Cold Shot and Ivey adjustable bases. Both work and are very accurate. I currently have the Ivey 50 mil base on my 375ct and shot with it today. When i dialed 10 mils in the base and the 12.7 on my scope the dope was within .2 miles on my first shot.at 2306 yards. Then i dialed 22.7 on my scope and point of impact was the same. The main difference between the Cold Shot and Ivey is the scope is higher with the Cold Shot making you head position pretty high up on the cheek rest.

Hey Gixxer,
I'm looking at the Ivey MOA setup. Can you comment on your Ivey setup? How durable is the setup? Do you need to remove the Ivey setup from your rifle each time you're finished shooting? Pros/Cons. Thanks in advance.
Mark

I have used the Ivey on both my .338lm and .375ct. I have found it to be very repeatable. I only remove if putting on another rifle.
PROS/ Well made
Repeatable
Rock solid rings
I have the 50 mil model

Cons/ The Ivey moves you head position high on the cheek rest as it is a tall mount and gets higher the more you dial in.
It is heavy but on the type of rifles its used on that really doesn't matter.
When i bought mine they would not fit the S&B 5x25 that has since been fixed.
Hope this helps happy to answer any other questions you may have.

A couple of our 375 Snipetac - 2 mile rifles have been set up with 80 moa rails and the Vortex Gen II 4.5-27x56 scopes. These have done well in the ELR world if your looking for something that is rock solid, no moving pars and gets the job done. Also if needed they can still aim at a dot at 100 yards and hit it when asked. They both give around 47.5 mils of usable elevation aiming points or corrections that get you to the 2 mile targets and under.

Here’s a picture of one of the rifles - to reference the system

Cheers
6CE04B53-908C-486D-8A22-DFA3F32AE4A2.jpeg

Reactions: TripleBull
Hey Oneshot.Onehit,

Nice stick. I have a Murphy custom rail with a 60 MOA cant. Topped with a NF ATACR 5x25x50. My internal adjustment is topped
out at 122 MOA with another 30 in my reticle.
Zero's at 100. However, the tip of my break is peaking in. No big deal but I would think an 80 MOA cant would be an issue?
I could be wrong. Would give me another 20 MOA but...I still think I'd be short to reach out miles.

I’m running 66 moa base and 108 in the scope. Zero is 7” high at 100 with 36 in the reticle and 32” barrel wit T5 terminator brake. Haven’t seen the barrel even maxed out. Maybe slightly taller rings will help

I’m running 66 moa base and 108 in the scope. Zero is 7” high at 100 with 36 in the reticle and 32” barrel wit T5 terminator brake. Haven’t seen the barrel even maxed out. Maybe slightly taller rings will help

I'm using medium rings now. I will have to see how much more check adjustment my McMillian stock has.

I have the same brake. Bad ass aren't they...

Reactions: jasent
I never noticed it as well as the owner/shooting friend of the rifle. So I just asked him to look through the rifle and dial the power down until maybe a shadow would start from the barrel/brake. He was able to dial down to 4.5 and still had no evidence of the barrel in the scope. I know the other 375 same base and scope in a McCree with the T5 is clear as well.

Good comment Jasent —- the barrel on this rifle is 32”

oneshot.onehit

Thanks Jean
I often wonder how far I can push it before I’ll have trouble. Been thinking about going with an 80 moa base. This thing dosent get shot much at short range and I have like 20 moa above my cross hairs. I’m running med rings aswell if I remember correctly. Couldn’t tell ya the brand. This is my super budget build. Love the T5!!!

Last edited:

That's some serious optics you got there...

About a year and a half ago, we took our first try at a mile and my son and I got hits right away. Since then, we've stepped out to 2400, so far so good. We've been shooting an AX-MC 338 LM with a 30MOA base and a Vortex Gen 2. Along the way we picked up a 30" Bartlein 300 PRC barrel and started it at a mile. It was quick to catch up to the 338 at 2400. We had to hold about 10 mils at 2400 so I think it's time to invest in a Tacom. I'm lusting for a 416B.

Reactions: MACHTECH
A couple of our 375 Snipetac - 2 mile rifles have been set up with 80 moa rails and the Vortex Gen II 4.5-27x56 scopes. These have done well in the ELR world if your looking for something that is rock solid, no moving pars and gets the job done. Also if needed they can still aim at a dot at 100 yards and hit it when asked. They both give around 47.5 mils of usable elevation aiming points or corrections that get you to the 2 mile targets and under.

Here’s a picture of one of the rifles - to reference the system

CheersView attachment 7277722
What's your zero at?
What about rings (low, med. Etc.)?
Any check weld problems?

Any other info would be great and appreciated. Thanks.
Mark

The two 375 Snipetacs both use a 9 mil hold under for a 100 yard target. You simply put the offset in you ballistics program, works very well and is simple.
Both have rifles have medium plus Vortex rings.

A few pictures if the works
Cheek weld is good to work with as seen in the pictures.
Stock info- McMillan A5 Super mag camo , McRee black
As seen in the retical you can see how we make good use of the hold under ability on any very close targets that with these rifles you hardly ever see anything close anyways but yet if asked done deal.

Hope this helps Mark
Oneshot.onehit
JH
4E72ABFA-7E1C-4F1D-8FA0-598F1B29B0B1.png
8439A95B-5C0B-4E74-9951-5A3246F498D9.jpeg
A9CE80D3-0836-4FA2-AA0B-B36ED81B57BD.png

Reactions: jasent