• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Advice on .223 Tikka T3X and a KRG Bravo

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
Ok members, been sniffing around for info on these items and many threads are close but way off....I have mucho .223 components and was leaning towards the Tikka (Lite JRTXE312) and the Bravo stock. This is not a PRS rifle, (I looked at build parts and that is not in the financial folder 😞) but a fun bolt gun that I can shoot on the cheap, keep kids off my beautiful crabgrass lawn, and even let others try it as a starting point. As a certified service rifle slut, many nuances of the bolt gun realm escape me so I'll try to lay it out. Will there be any conflict running AICS mags with that particular stock? I plan to use mag length 77's and the 80's would be single load as needed. Looks like a simple task to drop the action into the stock but wanted to ask if there are any other pitfalls to consider?
The other varmint Tikkas are threaded but not the model I am considering. I'm sure John at Area 419 could thread it but wasn't sure if that would be out of
the question for this model. Wanted to run a can...Well shit....maybe I'll just call over there.... total budget including glass (Tasco scope from 1983 anyone..? :ROFLMAO:) $1400 - $1500 tops.

As always, thanks for any help and direction. Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

Ok members, been sniffing around for info on these items and many threads are close but way off....I have mucho .223 components and was leaning towards the Tikka (Lite JRTXE312) and the Bravo stock. This is not a PRS rifle, (I looked at build parts and that is not in the financial folder 😞) but a fun bolt gun that I can shoot on the cheap, keep kids off my beautiful crabgrass lawn, and even let others try it as a starting point. As a certified service rifle slut, many nuances of the bolt gun realm escape me so I'll try to lay it out. Will there be any conflict running AICS mags with that particular stock? I plan to use mag length 77's and the 80's would be single load as needed. Looks like a simple task to drop the action into the stock but wanted to ask if there are any other pitfalls to consider?
The other varmint Tikkas are threaded but not the model I am considering. I'm sure John at Area 419 could thread it but wasn't sure if that would be out of
the question for this model. Wanted to run a can...Well shit....maybe I'll just call over there.... total budget including glass (Tasco scope from 1983 anyone..? :ROFLMAO:) $1400 - $1500 tops.

As always, thanks for any help and direction. Good luck and good shooting!

Doug
I had this build but with a varmint barrel that I had threaded. I wish I hadn’t sold it will probably build another on sometime. Mine loved 77smk with Varget. I did file the magazine some to fit longer oal bullets. I never had any issues with feeding if I remember right I didn’t need to file the mag unless I used 75 eldms which shot horrible out of my barrel. There are post talking about opening up the magazine. If I were you I would go varmint barrel to help with balance.

I've had many many variants of tikkas and don't think the bravo is worth it for 223.

The CTR mags will let you kiss lands with 75 eld-m which is the best bullet for an 8 twist. They're excellent and let you seat further than aics with no screwing around or Dremel. If you want to do that from the lite mags you need to go expensive waters mags out of Australia. Some dude on 24 camp fire is 3d printing long coal mags for $40 but I haven't tried those. Mine are the mountain tac billet mags but I think they're discontinued. Factory mags allow ar15 ish coal.

The extra coal also lets you shove more powder in- significant velocity boost over ar15 length loads.

Id skip 80s. Decide up front if you want to shoot a heavier bullet than the 75. If so buy the cheapest lite you can find and a 7 twist prefit. Removing the factory barrel is easy don't believe the Internet hype.

It's really hard to beat a 75- the easy button is the 20" threaded CTR with 75s. Lever will get those moving.

Devastating on deer.

I've had many many variants of tikkas and don't think the bravo is worth it for 223.

The CTR mags will let you kiss lands with 75 eld-m which is the best bullet for an 8 twist. If you want to do that from the lite mags you need to go expensive waters mags out of Australia. Some dude on 24 camp fire is 3d printing long coal mags for $40 but I haven't tried those. Mine are the mountain tac billet mags but I think they're discontinued. Factory mags allow ar15 ish coal.

The extra coal also lets you shove more powder in- significant velocity boost over ar15 length loads.

Id skip 80s. Decide up front if you want to shoot a heavier bullet than the 75. If so buy the cheapest one you can find an a 7 twist prefit.

It's really hard to beat a 75- the easy button is the 20" threaded CTR.
Interesting I tried to get the 75eldm to shoot out of my 1:8 twist varmint it would always throw some. I finally gave up on them and went back to 77smk and it was bug holes again.

My experience is the opposite.
I cut mine to 16" doing about ~2800 with lever with a light kiss. Shoots great.

By "best" I just meant slipperiest. 50 grain vmax might be best for some folks.

Last edited:
My old T3 Varmint stainless 8 twist absolutely loved the 82 grain Berger, had it in a KRG X-ray & used the MDT .223 polymer mags as they allow ~ 2.550" COAL
Screenshot_20241004-153720.png

Last edited:
love the ergos on the bravo. so much that the hnt 26 is long gone. it's just a little heavy for hunting but i have a 20 oz scope and 20 in barrel to counteract it but its a great hybrid range/hunting platform. Sits 9lbs 5 oz currently and am shooting factory 73 g eldm and 77 tmks. no issues with the mdt polymer 10 rd aics mag. id get a stainless t3x lite and cut and thread it.

PXL_20240317_011016309.jpg