• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Advice on AR 7.62

chriscmillerusmc

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
TX, PA, NY
I am looking for advice on how to obtain a sub MOA AR in 7.62x51mm. I have spent some time looking through my options and have received mixed reviews regarding the base rifle that I am looking for. I own a DPMS AP4 in 5.56 that I have modified and I enjoy that rifle immensely. Some of the criteria that I am looking for is:
1.18-20" Barrel
2.Collapsible Stock/ Prefer Milspec tube for use with aftermarket stock.
3.Smooth crisp trigger
4.Free Float Tube
5. Accuracy

The main issue is that I would like to get out of this for 1.5-2k including optics/buis. Build or Buy what is my best value? The rifle will be used for shooting distances from 200m-600m and I need it to be able to double as a deer rifle.
If build is your choice then where can I find quality parts / kit for affordable price. Thank you for your time.

Re: Advice on AR 7.62

If you load your own ammo I can't think of a brand that is NOT capable of decent accuracy with a good load worked up in that gun. I have an old Bushmaster BAR10 A2 20" 1/10 twist that is a shooter for sure-it was very easy for me to stumble on a load that would do 3/4" at 100 which is about the limit of my abilities. It is basically the same design that Rock River sells today that uses FAL mags. It has been very reliable although I don't really like some of the mods that were made so it would use FAL mags. I have heard Rock Rivers are extremely accurate guns and come with good 2-stage triggers but there seems to be a lot of folks who dislike the brand as well.
I personally don't think you have to spend 2k to get a really good gun. Now I'm just a recreational shooter and my life does not depend on my guns (at least not yet) nor am I trying to win any matches.

I firmly believe that your best value is going to be an Armalite AR10T. You can buy the upper and lower separate for around $1,200-$1,400 or much less if you are law enforcement or military. I have several friends that have bought them and I have yet to see one that did not shoot under 1 MOA with factory match ammo. I believe that Armalite is using or at least they did use Lothar Walther barrels, the same as Larue is using on their OBR.

Armalite builds good guns...or you can go a little pricey and go the GAP, LWRC, or POF way. 1.5-2K isn't going to leave you alot of cash for good optics so you might want to but parts seperately and put it together yourself or have a smith do it. If you search around on the hide you can find a ton of threads on people asking this same question...even myself.

I am looking to build a mil-spec M4 for under 1K. If you catch a manufacturer having a sale or selling a blemished lower or uppper receiver you can save a ton of money. Just dont get cheap on the barrel (make sure its chrome lined or something), the BCG group, and the trigger set up and you will have a solid weapon.

Since you are going .308...you could get an Ar-10A2 and put an aimpoint on it for your price range.

Since you already have a DPMS AP4 5.56, I would look at the DPMS .308 Guns, They give you a good base line to work from from your price point

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since you already have a DPMS AP4 5.56, I would look at the DPMS .308 Guns, They give you a good base line to work from from your price point</div></div>

+1
If you like your existing AP4, get the .308 AP4 and have a matching set. Good price as well and invest more in ammo or optics or reloading gear.

I think buying a complete factory rifle is going to be a gamble, whether or not it will be satisfactorily accurate.

I think you'd be most satisfied by either:

1. Buying complete rifle and having someone good rebarrel it with a good barrel, and selling the OEM barrel for whatever you can get for it.

2. Keeping your eyes out for the right deals to piece one together - and having someone good barrel it for you.

In .308 DPMS had the lead for value priced guns. Rock River came on strong a few years later. I like both guns. They are both priced right, accurate, and reliable. I bought 2 RR LAR 8 in 7.62 as well as several of their AR 15s and cannot say enough about their accuracy and reliability. But DPMS makes some really great .308s for the money. If you like DPMS go with one of their models.

EXACTLY, MINE HAS BEE SUB MOA AND 100% FUNCTION .I have a armalite NM 20inch and an Armalite 20inch T10 and the CMMG outshoots the NM .the T10 is a .50moa gun with my hand loads .The CMMG is a .75 MOA rifle with my hand loads .the ballance of the CMMG is great .I'm working up a 175 grain load as we speak for the CMMG . <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CPOUTLAW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would check out the CMMG SASS it comes with a magpul PRS though.

CDNN sports has them for $1399 can't be beat
CDNN SPORTS

You could take off the PRS and sell it for $200 all day long. </div></div>