• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

advice on AR build

durabo

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2010
hey guys,

im back again, still working out my first AR build in my head, and im looking for some advice...

I stumbled up this- http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt103.htm
and i was just playing around with it, and this is the build i ended up with...

Item Name: 16" Light Weight Rifle Kit
Item Price: $866.00
Options:
# 16 LW Rifle Kit -Barrel:DTI 16" 1x9 Chrome Lined Light Weight Barrel
# 16 Rifle Kit / Rifle -Handguards:YHM 4 Rail Free Float Tube
# Rifle Kit / Rifle -BC:TiN Bolt & Carrier
# Rifle Kit / Rifle -Buttstock:M4 Buttstock - Black
# Rifle Kit / Rifle -Grips:A2 Grip - Black
# Rifle Kit / Rifle-Carrying Handle:None
# Rifle Kit / Rifle-Flash Hiders:phantom Aggressive End Comp/Brake
# Rifle Kit / Rifle-Gas Blocks:4 Rail Gas Block
# Rifle Kit / Rifle-Lower Parts:Lower Parts Kit with Rock River Arms 2 Stage Trigger
# Rifle Kit / Rifle-T Handle:pRI Gas Buster Charging Handle
# Rifle Kit / Rifle-Uppers:Flat Top Upper with T-Marks

so what do you think of this build, and what would you change?

maybe do your own and post what you would use?

thanks!

Re: advice on AR build

Why the PRI gasbuster? You planning on running a can on this thing? What chamber does it have (223 or 5.56)? I would lean toward 5.56 as that allows you to shoot mil surplus in it. If you could get a faster twist barrel, that would leave you with more options when it comes to the heavy bullets. Is it a carbine length gas system or a mid-length? I would opt for a mid-length if it were me (smoother cycling and not as hard on the BCG).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why the PRI gasbuster? You planning on running a can on this thing? What chamber does it have (223 or 5.56)? I would lean toward 5.56 as that allows you to shoot mil surplus in it. If you could get a faster twist barrel, that would leave you with more options when it comes to the heavy bullets. Is it a carbine length gas system or a mid-length? I would opt for a mid-length if it were me (smoother cycling and not as hard on the BCG). </div></div>

to answer most of your questions...

i was just playing around with that kit selection, mid length is what im going for...

what im really looking into now is i want to buy one of those COP uppers, and build off of that, but im not sure about a complete parts list to flesh it out...

I cant seem to find a list of the upper reciever parts, know a link? or better yet a parts kit that would have everything i need to flesh one of these out?

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?it...96-79c1c179133a

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if i were you i would try and get a 1-7, or 1-8 twist barrel.....

that way you can shoot whatever weight bullets you want.....

bench </div></div>

Link to an affordable quality one?

well... originally i was trying to keep my whole build below 1000

i found some Aero precision lowers for $59, i havent heard anything bad about them, but that $59 dollar price point almost scares me, thats the lowest ive found anywhere... can it be qaulity at that price?

the only other requirement im dead set on having is a top and bottom rail hand guard, ideally the barrel wouldnt have the huge iron sight, id get some flip up BUIS to handle the iron sights.

flat top

actually after looking at it maybe a 1:8 twist barrel, short as i can go without becoming a SBR

and as much qaulity as i can get...

i dont need bells and whistles, but id like it to perform when i need it too.

ha!

am i asking too much for $1000 or less?

Lower parts kit: $149

Palmetto State Lower Completion Kit

BCM Upper: $928 w/BCG
BCM Upper w Daniel Defense Rail

OR
BASic Upper: $435+$149BCG+$20(handguard)= $604
Basic BCM Upper

OR TRX Upper $639+$149= $788
TRX Upper

Plus you lower gets you in for about $1k. I wouldn't get wrapped too much in the $1k price point, ammo so expensive now what is a couple hundred bucks here or there.

I actually just got in the BCM TRX 13inch rail with the SS410 16 midlength barrel, so I put my money where my mouth is.

I think the BCM uppers max out the quality and price equation.

well im currently in the middle of a build and before i bought it i asked myself, if i was going to buy something a little cheaper, am i going to spend more money later to get the things the more expensive pieces offered? i believe you should do the same, if these parts offer the same basic stuff go with the cheaper one, if the offer different things ask if your gonna upgrade, if so you might as well go with the more expensive version. i do love bcm so my choice would be for the more expensive package but just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lower parts kit: $149

Palmetto State Lower Completion Kit

BCM Upper: $928 w/BCG
BCM Upper w Daniel Defense Rail

OR
BASic Upper: $435+$149BCG+$20(handguard)= $604
Basic BCM Upper

OR TRX Upper $639+$149= $788
TRX Upper

Plus you lower gets you in for about $1k. I wouldn't get wrapped too much in the $1k price point, ammo so expensive now what is a couple hundred bucks here or there.

I actually just got in the BCM TRX 13inch rail with the SS410 16 midlength barrel, so I put my money where my mouth is.

I think the BCM uppers max out the quality and price equation. </div></div>

So... if i take the BCM standard, with the BCG thats 593 w/shipping
head over to palmettos for the handguard and lower set, for 191
add the lower for 59

everything for 843?

thats my complete rifle?

so this is doable?

Don't sweat your first AR, you'll eventually get it right
wink.gif

We all have an Oly Arms, Bushmaster or fat chicks in our pasts, you learn and move on. No shame.

hmm... i think this is a done deal.

but i think im going to wait 2 more weeks, for a few more dolalrs i can put in the fund, and then go with the trx just like you did.

wow!

im flipping excited!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: durabo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So... if i take the BCM standard, with the BCG thats 593 w/shipping
head over to palmettos for the handguard and lower set, for 191
add the lower for 59

everything for 843?

thats my complete rifle?

so this is doable? </div></div>

$593- is that the upper, BCG and shipping? That upper needs handguards and it has a regular FSB, not exactly what you wanted- it won't be a freefloat, but that is a nice starter rifle. Free Float handguards seem to add $200 minimum to an upper, and then you usually need to add BUIS, for a bit more money.

I really like the VTAC version of the TRX handguards, they seem to be the cheapest high quality free float rails. Not a fan of Yankee Hill or MI rails -just a personal thing. The TRX is light, can get my hand around it nicely for the 'Costa' grip, and they come in 13 inch versions. Use a 14.5 inch barrel with a pinned flash hider and they look pretty sick. They come with a partial bottom and two side rails. The bottom is fine for a Larue Bipod Mount.

Dammit, its midnight and you made me stay up late and go down to the gun safe and fondle that rifle a little bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't sweat your first AR, you'll eventually get it right
wink.gif
</div></div>

Ain't that the damn truth...

The best thing I can recommend is to try and keep it lightweight, as I did not do that and ended up with a rifle heavier than what I wanted.

1x7 is something I would go with as well, and I'd lose the fancy charging handle unless you're looking to put a can on it.