• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Advice on steel targets

wwrhodes91

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2012
Alright so I'm wanting to buy a steel target for 300+ yard shooting. I want it to be 10" or bigger and AR500, but I have no idea what thickness I will need. I am shooting a .308 which I would think would be fine with a 3/8" plate, but my friend shoots a .338-378 weatherby (think .338 LM + a little more horsepower). So I was thinking about 1/2" plates. Would that be enough to handle these rounds if we wanted to shoot from 300-1000?

As long as they are HPBT or equivalent, no problem. If he is using bonded or partitions, it won't go through, but may leave a dent.

You could even get away with the 3/8" if you put it at least 500-600m down range.

As long as they are HPBT or equivalent, no problem. If he is using bonded or partitions, it won't go through, but may leave a dent.

You could even get away with the 3/8" if you put it at least 500-600m down range.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like 1/2" would be a safer bet. I think he is almost forced to use hunting rounds a lot due to availability so...

I'm in the same position, wanting to get a couple larger gongs to set up out at 1000-1500 yards. Will shoot mostly 300wm and 338lm. Will 3/8" work well at that range? Shooting berger/scenar/a-max boolits. Would prefer 3/8" over 1/2" if we can get away with it--lighter for the biggest part. These are targets we would set up and take down, some packing, so the weight savings might be nice.

Check with some of your local fab shops and see if they have any scrap lying around. The company I work for owns a fab shop and I get ar400 for free when I'm in town, just ask your local shop and I would bet you could get some for a very fair price.

I'm in the same position, wanting to get a couple larger gongs to set up out at 1000-1500 yards. Will shoot mostly 300wm and 338lm. Will 3/8" work well at that range? Shooting berger/scenar/a-max boolits. Would prefer 3/8" over 1/2" if we can get away with it--lighter for the biggest part. These are targets we would set up and take down, some packing, so the weight savings might be nice.

You will be fine at those ranges. I have 3/8" ar500 at my range and I have shot the 338 lapua at 500 yards just to see, and it didn't damage the steel at all. Just make sure it can move so the energy can transfer somewhere.

My experiences with steel targets is that the 3/8" thick AR500 steel will be louder in sound and at a higher pitch than a 1/2" steel. Granted, the shape and design (standing target, hanging target)
will also determine the sound quality. Why is the sound quality also important? Its because the further the target is (500+)yds, its harder to hear the gong sound in windy conditions. We haven't shot our steel target out past 800 yet but if there is a slight wind at 10-12mph, you can barely hear it. Just my 2cents.

I'm lucky in the fact that I repair Haul Truck Beds in the Mining industry and all the plate that I take out of the beds I convert to targets.

This weekend a friend was shooting one of my 1/2 plates with 180grn Hunting round and it din't even dimple the plate.

I had a local guy cut 3 prairie dog targets out of 3/8 AR500 and I shot one with a 338LM at 100. It put a slight dent at the impact point, and a very slight curve to the whole dog. If you're not looking for it, you won't see it. 3/8 will be GTG. Bobcat did right by me.

bullet type is important. I shot a 3/8" target at 100 with 7mm Rem Mag, Speer big game bullets, and it blew a clean hole. At 200, it would sometimes leave a hole, or a large dent depending on where it hit. I switched to target bullets and it only scratched the paint.

If you are looking for Premium 1/2" AR500, we have a 12" round and 66% IPSC at super low prices during our group buy special. Check us out under the "group buy" section for more info.

Thanks to all for the kind words!!!