• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Advice on thermal clip on

Itsokay

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2024
Colorado
Good day.

I read through many of the topics on here regarding the topic but I’m not sure if I could find and answer to my questions.

I am former infantry and got to use more than a few thermal and night vision devises. I try to keep up with some standard of tactics and shooting in the civ div. Things have certainly changed since the GWOT days. Unfortunately my budget is not the same as the military. I do some coyote hunting on my property and plenty of LARPing with the boys.

I live in the west mountain area and frequently run and gun and shoot some longer ranges usually out to 1000m

My 6.5 Grendel in a 12.5” barrel has really been good to me and I would like to get a clip on thermal scope for that rifle. It’s topped with a Burris xtr 2 2x10. What clip on should I consider with a budget of around 3-5k. What models should I keep an eye out for on the new and used market to put on this rifle considering the limited rail space. Ideally I would like to shoot out to 500 yards using the thermal device.

Attachments

• IMG_5634.jpeg
    IMG_5634.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
A little above your stated budget, but worth the stretch:

Reactions: Travis224
sig has a new clip on coming out , cv25 , that looks interesting

iray just released a v2 rh25 , good all around unit and the v2 should be better in the clip on roll

i have a bering optics super yoter clip on and it's pretty nice for the under 5k units

if you could stretch your budget some the nox thermals are awesome and usa made

Reactions: Itsokay

iray just released a v2 rh25 , good all around unit and the v2 should be better in the clip on roll

i have a bering optics super yoter clip on and it's pretty nice for the under 5k units

I’ll take a look at it.

Thanks, I will check out those units. I wish I could look through them.

A little above your stated budget, but worth the stretch:

I’ll have to think about it. That is a nice thermal device.

You lost us with "Iray" and "work with 10x magnification minimum..." How much demag does the unit have? It will have to be a premium unit with lots of demag to support more than 10-12x mag... The imaging quality provided in many reviews of units like this are deceptive

You lost us with "Iray" and "work with 10x magnification minimum..." How much demag does the unit have? It will have to be a premium unit with lots of demag to support more than 10-12x mag... The imaging quality provided in many reviews of units like this are deceptive
I know nothing about them or thermals in general except a few people had reccomended them on here a while ago. One person hog hunting with it said it worked well at higher magnification settings and most of my scopes reticles are difficult to use at much less than 10x.

Sorry I shouldn't have said minimum, just 8-10x would work best for me and I wasn't sure if that was realistic.