• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Aero Precision LR308 Upper w/out BCG, or Pricier Complete Upper?

Buck Wilde

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2020
FL
I have an old DPMS LR308B I mistakenly bought new because I thought it was a precision rifle. I also bought a ton of Radway Green, which shows how much I knew.

I am thinking about putting a 6.5 Creedmoor upper on it. I keep telling myself I will hunt hogs some day, and I like the idea of a gas gun with more power than an AR-15. I have two other 6.5 rifles, and I have enough reloading supplies to produce hundreds of hunting rounds.

In all likelihood, I will never get around to shooting hogs, but, you know...any excuse to fiddle with guns.

Aero Precision sells a barreled upper for a reasonable price, with no BCG. I said, "Fine. I'll get a BCG. How much can it cost?" Then I saw them being offered for $200, minimum. I had assumed I was going to be closer to $100.

I don't care all that much about $200, but once you start adding junk to an Aero Precision upper, you start getting close to the price of an upper from a snootier and perhaps better manufacturer. Primary Arms has Aero Precision fluted 22" uppers for $724, so once you add the handle and BCG, a complete $1200 upper starts looking like less aggravation and possibly a better product.

What would you do? Spend over $900 on Aero Precision with a new BCG and handle, get Aero Precision and use your old DPMS BCG, or move to a somewhat pricier complete upper?

Pass on the Aero 6.5cm. A 22” with rifle length gas in that cartridge is incorrect in a big way. Your old bolt is probably not a small firing pin bolt either. Pair that with the short gas length Aero offers and you will be piercing more primers than not.

BCG's aren't normally that expensive , Sales put forth some opportunity from time to time . I like ToolCraft as they put out a solid product .
Aero just had a NICE Sale ,upper 6.5 CM 22" SS fluted complete upper shipped $486.??. I couldn't part it for that so I bought it ,so as to utilize one of MY M5 stripped lowers , which I have several sets of parts including KAK A2 stocks and some slick FCG units . MOA or 2 may be good enough for hogs or whatever else . Yet why not settle for Sub MOA . My 6.5 hunting load stacks #20 under .500" @ 278 yd.

https://ar15discounts.com/products/...-5-creedmoor-bolt-carrier-group-nickel-boron/

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/m...ssembly-nickel-boron-finish-65-creedmoor.html

Hunting load 129 gr 278 Yd April 2024 1.jpg