• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Affordable tripod?

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
I know you get what you pay for and I would love RRS or Manfrotto but it's not in the cards right now. I will upgrade down the road. That being said any suggestions for something that's decent to shoot off of? Probably will just get a HOG or PIG saddle and roll with it, I already have tall bipods, just need something to bridge the gap. Currently only shooting an 18" AR and some precision rim fire bolt guns. A center fire bolt is in the works, as soon as I find the right Tikka or possibly Howa for me.
Suggestions? I don't need fancy functions just something to hold a gun up with a saddle mount. Do I need a ball head or are there other types?
Thanks

I really like my PIG0311 too. I bought it and the Pig saddle and just direct mounted it. I considered getting a ballhead but some times I like to use it for prone shooting when my bipod isn't quite tall enough. I know very little about tripods, but it works great for me. The only reason I would by a different one is maybe to get a shorter and lighter one.

Reactions: jLorenzo
I like my PIG. I picked up a Sunwayfoto XB44 to go with it since I shoot high angles hunting, but you won’t know what’s worth the $ for you until you go for it.

Just do it, buy a PIG and a good ballhead, shoot, and don’t overthink it.

Reactions: jLorenzo
Another for the PIG tripod. I use mine with a manfroto gear head and the Swaro. spotter. I'll buy a saddle in the coming months, it's an awesome tripod for the $ and very rigid.

I would look on forums and other outlets such as Lejeuneyardsales for Manfrotto's on the cheap. I have come a loooooonngg way from the $20 Walmart special but only went to a Manfrotto when I got a great deal on it. RRS is amazing stuff but like others have said, get some good meat in a tripod put a head on it and send it

With that Shadowtech Pig or Hog and you can't go wrong

I’ll just say that I spent a lot of time looking for tripods on Craigslist when I could have been shooting.

The baby boomer hipster fags who are selling manfrottos or some crap on Craigslist because their stupid Gucci camera wobbles... dude get a PIG0311 and shoot. Is it really worth it to lose 2-3 weekends slamming steel and save $20?

Reactions: dotrappe
I love my SLIK 700DX. $99 from Amazon. Stable enough to hold my MPA that is just over 20lbs, and the tripod only weighs just over a pound more than all the “cool guy” carbon fiber ones. It’s aluminum.

This is the Pig 0311 Tripod + FB52 Ballhead + Area 419 Rail. So far it works pretty well. I can shoot just under 1 MOA standing with this.
20180603_032346.jpg

How does that compare to your groups while prone or from a bench with the same rifle? I’ve been contemplating grabbing a Tri-pod in the not so distant future.

I just ordered a new tripod from Night Goggles Inc. Price was affordable and looked very solid. I'll do a review when it comes in, so heres the info if your interested:

ItemNameDescriptionQtyTaxableUnit PriceItem Total2909Night Stalker Shooting Tripo...SKU: NGI-CARBON-TRIPOD1N$169.00 (USD)$169.00 (USD)

How does that compare to your groups while prone or from a bench with the same rifle? I’ve been contemplating grabbing a Tri-pod in the not so distant future.

With this rifle, I consider anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 MOA to be average. Some groups go lower.

The attached picture is from the same rifle on the same day, but off the nench at 200 yards. The shot to the left is from me going a click to the left to refine my zero.

Attachments

• 20180603_134645.jpg
    20180603_134645.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Ravenyzf-r6
I posted this in a different thread. No name tripod but as strong as any.

I found a Zomei Z818 tripod and have hung 25lb of weight with an 85 size spotter on it and it would have taken more. Rock solid in the wind. With a PIG saddle it shoots well too. It is cheap but well made with twist locking legs, large ball and a hook that juts out of the tub side for easy access when hanging weight. If you want dead on accuracy get a gear head, for speed a pistol grip. Here is what I prefer:

manfrottto gear drive
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URXUC9O/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

slick ball grip
https://www.adorama.com/slaf1100e.html

Zomei Z818
https://www.ebay.com/itm/351807849681

Pig tripod looks like a good buy. I plan on going with one myself when I am ready to purchase. I was at a shoot a few weeks ago and a few guys were running Desmond carbon fiber tripods I believe they got off Amazon. I thing they got the tripod, ball head, and arca swiss mount for around 200 bucks. Seemed like a pretty solid set up for the money.

PVA’s look nice, like the option of going down to a bipod hight for prone. The PIG however looks great for the price though. Still can go down to 11.5” as well.

The NGI Night Stalker Carbon Fiber Tripod & Ball Head just came in and at first glance it appears as everything they said it was, here are some stock photo's it's a really solid unit. Ready to mount a Pig tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_4563.jpg
    IMG_4563.jpg
    890.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4521.jpg
    IMG_4521.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4582.jpg
    IMG_4582.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4546-1.jpg
    IMG_4546-1.jpg
    797.6 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: BabypoopFAL
I’ll also recommend the Hog Saddle 0311-G tripod. It’s a very well built and stable tripod. I really like the included spike feet. At only $138 it’s a steal. A ball head will run you more obviously, but like some others, I direct mount my HOG saddle. It might take a bit longer to level but it keeps the weight down and doesn’t make it any taller. For a cheap setup I don’t think you can beat the 0311-G and a PIG saddle- less than $300 total.

At a match a couple months ago, I saw one of the new Nightgoggles carbon fiber tripods. It seemed well made and sturdy, it just seemed really bulky. It was pretty stable, though I only used a spotting scope on it. I did not get a chance to see anyone shoot off of it. It was a different model than the one shown above. For the money I would still get the HOG saddle 0311 tripod.

So I shot my first match yesterday and I'm hooked. I was able to borrow someone's tripod but hate borrowing so looking to buy one. I checked out a manfroto and a shadow tech/ hogsaddle one.

The manfroto was noticeably better but not sure if it was that much better for the money. I would like to buy once cry once but also like to buy the value in the market. Don't want to spend double the money for 10% better.

I'm drawn to the pva tripod posted above, is that going to be money well spent over the shadow tech? Is it worth the extra money value wise to save to get a manfrotto or really right stuff?

What is the most bang for the buck on tripods for prs matches?