AI 300WM 26" barrel & 1in11 twist rate

Gra

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2020
UK
First post.. question..will a 300WM with such a low twist rate make it out to a mile? I know the AI is high quality ..but without something like a 1 in 8 or 9 inches..surely it hasn't got the legs with factory ammo...when something like an RPR Magnum would?.. struggling to justify the cost against other makes..am I wrong about the reach of the AI? Rgds G

Reactions: Chargerguy
Yea it will do just fine with 190 grain SMK FGMM or Black Hills. You could probably shoot a 185 berger juggernaut and do a bit better. I was shooting a mile about a month ago with my 300wm pushing the black hills 190 grain load at 3050fps out of a 27 inch barrel. Your AI will get you there.

Reactions: Gra
First post.. question..will a 300WM with such a low twist rate make it out to a mile? I know the AI is high quality ..but without something like a 1 in 8 or 9 inches..surely it hasn't got the legs with factory ammo...when something like an RPR Magnum would?.. struggling to justify the cost against other makes..am I wrong about the reach of the AI? Rgds G
What bullet you plan on running?

1/11 is fine for up to 220 smk in my experience with it. The 230/215 Berger’s and similar would prefer at least a 10 twist. Besides, there is zero comparison between an AI AWM and Ruger RPR. For magnums, barrels are consumables anyway so I wouldn’t worry too much about the AI’s current twist rate, you can always rebarrel it later with a twist rate that best complements your bullet preferences.

You can run the calcs for bullet stability given different twist rates here
https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Reactions: VargmatII
What bullet you plan on running?

1/11 is fine for up to 220 smk in my experience with it. The 230/215 Berger’s and similar would prefer at least a 10 twist. Besides, there is zero comparison between an AI AWM and Ruger RPR. For magnums, barrels are consumables anyway so I wouldn’t worry too much about the AI’s current twist rate, you can always rebarrel it later with a twist rate that best complements your bullet preferences.

You can run the calcs for bullet stability given different twist rates here
https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/
Was thinking of a 208 gr ELD-M or SMK..the 215gr Berger was suggested but didn't think it would stabilise...cheers for the link. I know there is no comparison with the RPR.. just not in a position to reload and therefore didn't want to struggle getting to the mile with factory ammo. G

Was thinking of a 208 gr ELD-M or SMK..the 215gr Berger was suggested but didn't think it would stabilise...cheers for the link. I know there is no comparison with the RPR.. just not in a position to reload and therefore didn't want to struggle getting to the mile with factory ammo. G

You will be fine to a mile with the ELDM, SMKs or any match bullet 1.5” long or less in factory offerings. Go with the AI, it’s a rifle that will serve you well for the rest of your life.

Reactions: jcam and Gra
Ive been wondering the same thing. Looking at a AX MkIII and want the magnum bolt for the barrels I already have, and wish the twist on the 300 was a little faster.