AI AX stock thumb screws help needed

Edgewater

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I am in need of assistance. I need to remove the thumb screws on my AX stock that secure the length of pull adjustment and cheek weld adjustment. The screws go from tight, to loose and back to tight as I back the screws out. I don't not want to force anything. Can someone tell me how to remove these screws? I'm probably over thinking it but I do not want to risk damaging the screws. I have tried to contact Mile High but have yet to receive a return email. Someone here, I'm sure can help me out. Thanks in advance.

I own an AX, but what follows is pure conjuncture:

I’ve noticed this myself. I’ve never fully removed the screws. Personally, I think the male threads are purposely slightly damaged at the end so they can’t easily back out and fall off. My guess is one would have to put some effort into removing them, and afterwards I don’t know if the female threads would be ok.

Let us know what you find out.

Update: I spoke with an AI Armorer at Mile High (thanks ShtrRdy) and he walked me through what must be done to remove the thumbscrews. Basically, the thumbscrews are secured by roll pins that must be removed. You have to remove the bottom plate that is located under the pic rail on the bottom of the buttstock. This will give you access to a small hole that is used to punch out the roll pin. Once the roll pin is removed you have to back out the screws on either side of the thumbscrew on the capture plate. As you remove the plate, watch for a small ball bearing and spring that will be released that provide tension to the capture plate when doing length of pull adjustments. Once the length of pull arm is removed, you can now access the small hole that contains the roll pin for the cheek rest thumbscrew. It is located on the back of the stock. Once you punch the roll pin out, you will be able to back the thumbscrew out. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Update: I spoke with an AI Armorer at Mile High (thanks ShtrRdy) and he walked me through what must be done to remove the thumbscrews. Basically, the thumbscrews are secure by roll pins that must be removed. You have to remove the bottom plate that is located under the pic rail on the bottom of the rifle. This will give you access to a small hole that is used to punch out the roll pin. Once the roll pin is removed you have to back out the screws on either side of the thumbscrew on the capture plate. As you remove the plate, watch for a small ball bearing and spring that will be released that provide tension to the capture plate when doing length of pull adjustments. Once the length of pull arm is removed, you can now access the small hole that contains the roll pin for the cheek rest thumbscrew. It is located on the back of the stock. Once you punch the roll pin out, you will be able to back the thumbscrew out. Hope this helps.
Holy cow! Thx for the info. Glad I never tried to force it.

Reactions: ShtrRdy